LG app substitute?

jlj1950
Go to solution Solved by jlj1950,

jlj1950

Hello,

I'm experiencing another of my ISP's discontinuities. I can use the Emby DLNA appbut the thought occurred to me, "If I can run the Emby GUI on my dedicated server laptop, I should be able to run it on my TV's browser app at the same address.m

And so I can. My question is this: will I lose anything by using the TV's WebOS browser instead of Google Chrome on my laptop?

What about HEVC? My guess is, since DTS initiates transcoding, x265 is not supported.

Wrong. I watched some of a movie in HEVC, so at least some play.  Just watched another with HEVC and HDR. TrueHD 7.1 failed, however.

Also, HDR did not trigger the TV's 'HDR Picture Mode'/'Cinema Home.' I had to change screens manually.

Right now the biggest drawback seems to be the WiFi (hidden SSID may be an issue) seems to be kind of variable in speed, i.e. busy circles when browsing and starting sometimes happens.

Thank you.

Edited by jlj1950

SamES

Are you saying the the LG app won’t work when your isp is down?

jlj1950
4 minutes ago, SamES said:

Are you saying the the LG app won’t work when your isp is down?

According to Luke, LG apps require an internet connection to run. That's been my experience with the Emby LG app.

SamES

It should run without it, at least for a short period due to an internet outage. It’s possible that it may be an LG store app limitation (we can’t fix that) but the actual app only needs to validate/check the Emby premier status maybe every few days 

Yes, it’s an issue if you don’t want any internet connection, but should be fine if it’s just out for a few hours or a day. 

Did you try it?  What was your experience?

jlj1950
16 hours ago, SamES said:

It should run without it, at least for a short period due to an internet outage. It’s possible that it may be an LG store app limitation (we can’t fix that) but the actual app only needs to validate/check the Emby premier status maybe every few days 

Yes, it’s an issue if you don’t want any internet connection, but should be fine if it’s just out for a few hours or a day. 

Did you try it?  What was your experience?

Right now, as before, a blue circle is going round and round and round and round...

The page changed, but took a long time, maybe a minute. This is because the IPS's service is not dead but down to a few kilobytes per second. Now I'm at the hone page and 'Continue watching' landscape images are replaced with very small html place holder icons in the upper left corners.

Back to the WebOS Emby.

Something else has happened. For some reason, one of my libraries/drives is listing by Movies rather than by Folders as I always do.

The server laptop lists by folder as the settings specify but the zLG WebOS browser still lists that drive by Movie. When I change from Movies to Folders,  the message 'No items found' appears. The settings in the WebOS version are normal but still the drives content is listed by Movies. I've reset the TV as well, without change in the result. 

I think there is a problem using Emby's https://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:8096 IP with WebOS and HTML5.

Edited by jlj1950

SamES

Are you connecting to your server directly, or are using Emby connect/pin method to connect?

is that during loading the app that the progress spinner goes round and round, or when you start playback?

jlj1950
8 minutes ago, SamES said:

Are you connecting to your server directly, or are using Emby connect/pin method to connect?

is that during loading the app that the progress spinner goes round and round, or when you start playback?

My server is a laptop. The laptop sits on a dock. The dock is connected to the TV with LAN and WiFi. A DSL modem feeds the router.

I don't use a PIN. I let the Emby app on Windows, open the browser. That's the laptop.

The TV usually opens the Home page. When the bandwidth drops to a few kilobytes, I get a three panel page with 'Connect' as an option. I never use that. The busy signal is due to the reduced bandwidth. That's the LG app. I gone over this before in other posts. I'm done discussing the LG app. I'm reverting to the original topic: Emby in the WebOS browser.

jlj1950

This ia an attempt to elucidate and clarify my experience and thinking on Emby and LG's WebOS.
The reason for this is my ISP's chronic bandwidth dropout. A few times each week, usually on a Sunday, the data rate will drop from over 100Mbps to a few KBps. This has the effect of both having internet and not having internet, creating a paradox for programs.

The LG apps require an internet connection to run, according to 'Luke'. This has been my experience with the Emby LG app.
Hence, I got the idea of reproducing my laptop Windows server experience on the LG WebOS browser. I opened the browser and entered the IP, adding the 8096 port number to the end (:8096). I found the idea worked. There can be some speed issues, depending on your system, but the idea works. That is, it did until I began duplicatng some of the actions I use with the laptop Windows server.

I discovered the WebOS browser + LG TV does not interpret my actions in the same way and that the menu system that works in Google Chrome and the 'official' LG EMby app does not always work in WebOS. The example is the Home Screen options list. All my libraries correspond to hard drives and to make navigation easier, I always choose the 'Folders' option rather than 'Movies' or 'Genre' for Home Screen presentation.

If I click on the 'Folders' option, in the options line across the top of the Home screen, the TV selects the 'Movies' option and if I select 'Folders' again, the message "No items found." occurs. I've tried everything to return to the 'Folder' format.
I deleted the libraries effected and re-installed after running the TV version. I reset the TV and re-installed the LG Emby app.
I also tried editing the settings fromwithin the LG WebOS browser EMby version, without success.

The WebOS 'unofficial' Emby version that works in Windows/Google Chrome has most if not the same feature delivery as the Windows/LG versions: 4K, HDR, surround 5.1, but not DTS or TrueHD. HEVC files are played too, at least all I've tried so far.
Thus I think pursuing compatibility with WebOS would provide a useful backup/alternate to the official LG Emby app.

Thanks.

Edited by jlj1950

• Solution
jlj1950

The LG store has a developer app that allows building and testing of apps. I'm going to examine the possibilities there.

• 7 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !