emby drops remote connection

zac115
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

zac115

i have been having a problem with the remote connection for emby for about two weeks now. with no warning the server will no longer be up to log into. as in the server at my house is up and running and i can watch stuff when im at my house. but many of the people that use my server have been telling my that the server is offline and not working. so i try to log in and the app tells me the server is offline. well I'm at work and i have TeamViewer installed on the server. so i log in and emby says that it is running fine. i have found that after i reset the emby server that the problem goes away for about a hour or 2 then it drops once more. i have no idea what is going on as it was working fine a few weeks ago with no problems. i have added all the emby server logs from today, 

embyserver.txt embyserver-63787898535.txt embyserver-63787862424.txt embyserver-63787863423.txt embyserver-63787870271.txt embyserver-63787876017.txt embyserver-63787883820.txt

Happy2Play

A guess would be automatic port mapper, have you tried disabling it and manually port forward?  Many have to restart your route also.

• Thanks 1

zac115

i will go ahead and uninstall that plugin and see if that is the problem. ill report back in 2 hours. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, zac115 said:

i will go ahead and uninstall that plugin and see if that is the problem. ill report back in 2 hours. 

You can disable it on Emby Network menu, but unistalling the plugin will work also assuming you have manually port forwarded.

I am guessing here as embyserver-63787898535.txt has a lot of portmapper activity.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

zac115

ah i see. 

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You can disable it on Emby Network menu, but unistalling the plugin will work also assuming you have manually port forwarded.

I am guessing here as embyserver-63787898535.txt has a lot of portmapper activity.

so i am not that good at port forwarding ( i am going to school for cyber next year tho so i will learn about it soon) so on my router i set the port forwarding rule to 0. router tells me that it means its any range. and it seems to work but i have a suspicion that this is not safe. im doing it this way as when is set the port forwarding to the port that the network page on the server has it did not work. so what am i to do? 

28 minutes ago, zac115 said:

This will not be the source of the problem. Removing or disabling it just means that you'll have to setup port forwarding manually.

zac115

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

This will not be the source of the problem. Removing or disabling it just means that you'll have to setup port forwarding manually.

so if not port forwarding what then. i cant think of anything that would stop the server from being live and able to log into. if i had to guess it has something to do with emby its self as when i reset it it works just find at that point.

zac115

and yes its down once more. and as soon as i turn on auto port mapping it fixes its self. im so lost as to what could be causing this.

Edited by zac115

It's easy to explain, you either need the automatic port mapper, or you need to setup port forwarding manually.

zac115
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's easy to explain, you either need the automatic port mapper, or you need to setup port forwarding manually.

i have done both but it still fails after like a hour. i have tried both auto port mapper and setting up port forwarding. and would that even explain the fact that 1. it was working like two weeks ago with no problems what so ever and 2. it works for a little then stops after a reset. 

if ports where the problem would this not have happened a long time ago? i haven't changed anything with my network. 

zac115
58 minutes ago, Luke said:

ok if port forwarding is the problem then lets fix it. what would i put in the from port section?

edit: my roommate showed me hopefully this fixes it. 

Opera Snapshot_2022-05-12_003322_192.168.0.1.png

Edited by zac115

• Solution
Happy2Play

If only using http then you would forward "From Port" 8096 "To Port" 8096.  If you use https then you would create another rule for 8920.

zac115
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If only using http then you would forward "From Port" 8096 "To Port" 8096.  If you use https then you would create another rule for 8920.

yes thats what my roommate did. it was a case of me not understanding the wording the setting page was using. cant wait to go to school for this stuff so i can fix these kind of problems by my self. 

rbjtech

If you are connecting to your emby server via the WAN IP then another reason could be your ISP keeps changing it periodically.  Every few hours seems a bit excessive, but it may be the issue.

You should really be using DDNS and a DNS name to connect to the service - this way it automatically updates it for you as it changes.

Look at your public IP and make a note of it - next time emby is unavailable from the WAN, look to see if you have been allocated a new WAN IP. (dynamic allocation - this is perfectly normal, but doesn't usually happen every couple of hours, it's usually when you power off your equipment for a couple of hours/days).

• Agree 1

zac115
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

If you are connecting to your emby server via the WAN IP then another reason could be your ISP keeps changing it periodically.  Every few hours seems a bit excessive, but it may be the issue.

You should really be using DDNS and a DNS name to connect to the service - this way it automatically updates it for you as it changes.

Look at your public IP and make a note of it - next time emby is unavailable from the WAN, look to see if you have been allocated a new WAN IP. (dynamic allocation - this is perfectly normal, but doesn't usually happen every couple of hours, it's usually when you power off your equipment for a couple of hours/days).

That has been a problem in the past. I'll have to look into DNS and ddns and get that set up. In the past I've just used TeamViewer to log into the remote machine and reset and be so that it can grab the new IP address from my service provider. But they seem to have stopped rotating my IP address at least for now. But I'll definitely look into the two things that you suggested. And the port forwarding seems to have stuck. It's no longer dropping off.

Edited by zac115
  • Like 1