Emby on LG vs. Android TV - Extra Features?

KevinSartori

KevinSartori

Hi.  Recently, I've been able to play around with the Emby Android TV app for Fire TV and I noticed a few extra features that would be really nice to see on the LG app:

1. Enable Refresh Rate Switching.  Does LG even allow this on built-in apps?
  2. Image Size options for covers.  I love being able to see big movie posters!
  3. Dedicated button on remote to quickly and easily show the Stats for Nerds overlay during playback.  Super helpful!  Can this be mapped to one of the otherwise unused buttons on the LG remote?

Now that update approvals are happening more frequently, any chance we could see these cool features added to the LG app?

Thanks!

Edited by KevinSartori
Title Clarification
  • Agree 1

Hi, the answers are no, it's planned for the future, and yes we'd have to look at what buttons are available.

• Like 1

Ceten
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, the answers are no, it's planned for the future, and yes we'd have to look at what buttons are available.

Doesn't the LG app automatically play in the correct refresh rate because it uses LG's internal player?
If not I must be really insensitive to it as I've never noticed it before or I should check out an app with refresh rate switching to see the difference and what I'm missing.😅

KevinSartori

Hi Ceten.  It doesn't change the refresh rate, because I don't ever see that telltale delay associated with that.  With the Fire TV I was testing, when the refresh rate would change, I would see the screen go black for a couple seconds as it switched.  That said, you're right that the internal player is really good at doing pulldown or whatever, because I agree that I never see stutter or judder or any other playback anomalies and I throw videos with different frame rates at it all the time!

8 hours ago, Ceten said:

Doesn't the LG app automatically play in the correct refresh rate because it uses LG's internal player?
If not I must be really insensitive to it as I've never noticed it before or I should check out an app with refresh rate switching to see the difference and what I'm missing.😅

Not in the Emby LG app, because LG doesn't provide a way for us to control that. In theory it's possible LG could be doing it automatically on some models though.

unisoft
On 12/05/2022 at 18:05, Luke said:

Not in the Emby LG app, because LG doesn't provide a way for us to control that. In theory it's possible LG could be doing it automatically on some models though.

Emby shows 23.976/24p correctly on my OLED LG TV and other LCD LG TVs (2016 models through to 2021) and switches back to PAL 50hz as well.

So the player software or TV itself does switch to match frame rate as I would notice instantly, Emby may not need to do it because of that...

Edited by unisoft
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !