problems playing .ASS files

NaveedAS

NaveedAS

Hi. ive been trying to play a few files with .ASS subs but they just dont seem to load. the files are working without subs enabled but as soon as the subs are turned on it just stops loading. 

i tried a few workarounds but it only helped with running them on the mobile but on the TV, no luck

- extracted the .ASS subs and renamed to SRT and removed all <font> tags etc (stripping down to basic subs)

- this helped to fix the issue of running on the phone, but still doesnt work on the TV (as mentioned above)

- downloaded third party subs and they worked on the TV but are out of sync so trying to figure out how to fix that for all of the 16 episodes of the title

is there any way to have the .ASS file to run without so much effort?

image.thumb.png.fba74042d5b56a57a565112e99daa8f2.png

logs are attached.embyserver.txthardware_detection-63787874041.txtembyserver-63787873961.txt

Edited by NaveedAS
more info added

Hi there, what time did you try to play in these log files, and using what Emby app?

NaveedAS

Hi Luke. apologies as i got a bit rushed with posting that issue. 

attaching new logs below from todays run. 

- media server on DS220j

- used an android device to fire up the emby client on the phone and then cast via chromecast onto the TV

- played the file at the 3:00 timestamp (with the .ASS sub selected)

- retried the same file with the extracted subtitles (.SRT extension now) at the 3:03 mark

- it seems to have created a transcode log for every minute from the 3 o clock point.

- note: the SRT file is actually the ASS extracted from the video (its not a third party downloaded file)

EmbyLogs 12052022.zip

let me know if you need anything else to help investigate? thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-b466e006-eb66-4491-b369-561776de92a7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-071a9d8c-cca7-42c2-ae7a-41a521e88a0a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-bcc5dd4c-a37f-4e68-b831-afb35fb8e46d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e834c8c7-1766-4b40-8e78-ae494f5d2751_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-6ea71be0-ed74-4e84-8063-a4d4d94fca97_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fdb4a316-21bf-4398-960c-981764bf2a56_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a2414a44-e1c9-4088-975d-96a7ed03e90b_1.txt embyserver (1).txt

Hi, these have to be burned in on the fly with server transcoding and it looks like your server machine just can't handle that. In server transcoding settings, try checking the box at the bottom to allow on the fly subtitle extraction.

This may eliminate the transcoding, but you still might not see the subtitles right away if your disk I/O is not fast enough to extract them from the video quickly.

If that happens your best bet will be external .ass files.

NaveedAS

Hi Luke

"If that happens your best bet will be external .ass files." 

problem is, i have tried the ASS files BOTH ways i.e. embedded as well as extracted them and then just told EMBY to pick them up (renamed to an SRT file) even then the video doesnt load.
the video only loads when i download 3rd party subs in the .SRT format. 
so i looked at the third party files and the converted .ASS and noticed the additional fancy fonts and tags used, so i cleaned up the whole file, leaving only time signatures and subs - it STILL doesnt work

and the funny thing is, i have another video (different show) where i extracted the .ASS and simply used those with the video , and it worked! 

so i am wondering, whether the file size plays any role? last thing that i can do is change the video format maybe and see if that helps ? 

i can share the logs from the other show as well if that gives any ideas. 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:18 AM, NaveedAS said:

Hi Luke

"If that happens your best bet will be external .ass files." 

problem is, i have tried the ASS files BOTH ways i.e. embedded as well as extracted them and then just told EMBY to pick them up (renamed to an SRT file) even then the video doesnt load.
the video only loads when i download 3rd party subs in the .SRT format. 
so i looked at the third party files and the converted .ASS and noticed the additional fancy fonts and tags used, so i cleaned up the whole file, leaving only time signatures and subs - it STILL doesnt work

and the funny thing is, i have another video (different show) where i extracted the .ASS and simply used those with the video , and it worked! 

so i am wondering, whether the file size plays any role? last thing that i can do is change the video format maybe and see if that helps ? 

i can share the logs from the other show as well if that gives any ideas. 

@NaveedAS can we please look at a specific example from external .ass?

NaveedAS

Hi Luke. 

sure i'll share it today or tomorrow. btw , my workaround to make the files work was to re-encode them as mp4s and hardcode the subs (i used Videoproc convertor). now all the files are running fine (see image below of the conversion type used with hardcoded subs). 

however i will share the other case where the external subs are also able to somehow work. cant really put my finger on what is the difference between the two but i'll try to share a comparative table this time. 

image.png.a32539495978e7b4356ba79fe6941678.png

image.png.21440e92ca164aa0a35f9e2d5573907b.png