emby wont start through docker compose

shad0wxax

21 hours ago, shad0wxax said:

I had openmediavault 5 and emby was working fine no issues through https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/emby this distro. never had issues updating it or anything. i now recently upgraded to openmediavault 6 and now trying to run emby through that is not starting and giving me an error. ill attach the logs.

_emby_logs.txt 8.88 kB · 2 downloads

Hi, based on the error I'm going to guess that your configured volume for configuration is no longer valid after the os update. Can you look at that?

shad0wxax
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, based on the error I'm going to guess that your configured volume for configuration is no longer valid after the os update. Can you look at that?

im not sure what to look for? it created the folder in the config/ directory as i set up in the docker compose file and there are files in there. " volumes:
      - /srv/mergerfs/pool/config/Emby:/config"

but the error seems to be pointing at a "Application path: /app/emby" that i never set up or specified in the compose file.

i see an error for a plugin also but i cant imagine thats causing it to not load at all. although i can delete the plugins from the config folder but they seem to come back. if theres something i need to look in specifically let me know.

Junglejim
On 08/05/2022 at 11:39, shad0wxax said:

I had openmediavault 5 and emby was working fine no issues through https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/emby this distro. never had issues updating it or anything. i now recently upgraded to openmediavault 6 and now trying to run emby through that is not starting and giving me an error. ill attach the logs.

_emby_logs.txt 8.88 kB · 4 downloads

Hi mate, I'm currently using OMV5 as you were in a docker with the same linuxserver image, also with no problems at all for the last 2+ years.

I was thinking of upgrading to OMV6. When you say upgraded do you mean a fresh install or the command line tool "omv-release-upgrade" ?

Was hoping for a smooth transition.. but this sounds troubling..:)

What plugin's did you use in OMV5 and did you check to see that they had been ported to OMV6?

Personally I only use 2 plugin's, omvextrasorg and resetperms.

Also it looks like you set your config folder to one of your storage drives/arrays. I use "/var/lib/docker/appdata/emby:/config" which is part of the OS filesystem which is a 120G SSD.

Maybe it's a permission issue as @Luke mentioned.. ?

Edited by Junglejim

shad0wxax
3 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Hi mate, I'm currently using OMV5 as you were in a docker with the same linuxserver image, also with no problems at all for the last 2+ years.

I was thinking of upgrading to OMV6. When you say upgraded do you mean a fresh install or the command line tool "omv-release-upgrade" ?

What plugin's did you use in OMV5 and did you check to see that they had been ported to OMV6?

Also it looks like you set your config folder to one of your storage drives/arrays. I use "/var/lib/docker/appdata/emby:/config" which is part of the OS filesystem which is a 120G SSD.

I was also using OMV5 for 2+ years no issues until something got corrupt and i had to do a fresh install so i decided to go with omv6. so far everything works fine with the exception of this for some reason. docker/portainer works fine and the other few things ive used in portainer all work.

iirc thats about all the plugins ive used before and theyre on omv6 also.

i might try this out when i get home to see if it works. but as i said it seems to have no issues finding/writing to my config folder. the error is calling for a different folder that i didnt setup

shad0wxax
14 hours ago, Junglejim said:

so im guessing its just ta permissions thing or something that will not work lol if i delete the folder and start up the server itll create the folders and files but throws the error i was getting before and will not run. if i change the config folder to match yours in the /var/lib directory it works fine. copied my metadata and files over form a backup and im up and running

i had it setup on an another drive so the metadata didnt fill up my OS drive but i also have a 120gb ssd for the OS. so i guess itll be fine. its working atm lol thanks for that tip! guess ill just have to leave it on the OS drive for now

Edit: Well kinda working. its working locally but atm it wont load the plugins catagory and i cannot sign in with emby connect either. i did copy my config files from a backup, not sure if thats conflicting? my emby connect still shows my old server and im not getting an email or being able to see the new server @Luke i dont see anything in the config files that i could change to make any difference though

Edited by shad0wxax

Junglejim

I'm glad you got it running, well sort of.. :) It my be worth starting from scratch as far as the config backup goes. I know is a pain and you just want to dump your backup into the folder but I think that could be causing the problems. They are from OMV5 I guess?

As for using a 120gb drive for the OS you should have nothing to worry about. I store all the config files from multiple docker containers to /var/lib/docker/appdata/ (about nine containers at last count with the two biggest being Emby & Jellyfin) and still I've only used just over 20gb of space.

One thing I do though is set up a shared folder in OMV and point the Transcoding temporary path in Emby/Jellyfin to that. Just so I don't thrash my SSD needlessly with that stuff.

The only other thing I can suggest is to ssh into OMV and chmod the folder. This could work but you could still have some residual problems.

Edited by Junglejim

shad0wxax
15 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I'm glad you got it running, well sort of.. :) It my be worth starting from scratch as far as the config backup goes. I know is a pain and you just want to dump your backup into the folder but I think that could be causing the problems. They are from OMV5 I guess?

As for using a 120gb drive for the OS you should have nothing to worry about. I store all the config files from multiple docker containers to /var/lib/docker/appdata/ (about nine containers at last count with the two biggest being Emby & Jellyfin) and still I've only used just over 20gb of space.

One thing I do though is set up a shared folder in OMV and point the Transcoding temporary path in Emby/Jellyfin to that. Just so I don't thrash my SSD needlessly with that stuff.

The only other thing I can suggest is to ssh into OMV and chmod the folder. This could work but you could still have some residual problems.

gonna try to just do it straight no backup and see if it fixes it. what command did you do to move the transcoding file?

shad0wxax
1 hour ago, shad0wxax said:

gonna try to just do it straight no backup and see if it fixes it. what command did you do to move the transcoding file?

welp trying to uninstall it to redo it i think i messed it all up lol. guess i didnt uninstall it right and _emby_logs (2).txtnow i have a new error and it doesnt matter where i change the config folder it, whether its where you had it or my mergerfs pool

Junglejim
8 hours ago, shad0wxax said:

Hi mate, you don't seem to be having much luck with OMV6.. :)

As for the transcoding location.

First I created a shared folder in OMV and named it Transcode.

Then I added that location as a volume to the emby's compose stack so emby knows where it is.

Screenshot_2022-05-11_15-26-27.png.1be976a064faed0719e465c98f98e832.png

Then in the Transcoding settings in Emby I point to that path..

Screenshot_2022-05-11_15-28-03.thumb.png.1d12850a6279968e3e1359c115a47776.png

shad0wxax
5 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Hi mate, you don't seem to be having much luck with OMV6.. :)

As for the transcoding location.

First I created a shared folder in OMV and named it Transcode.

Then I added that location as a volume to the emby's compose stack so emby knows where it is.

Screenshot_2022-05-11_15-26-27.png.1be976a064faed0719e465c98f98e832.png

Then in the Transcoding settings in Emby I point to that path..

Screenshot_2022-05-11_15-28-03.thumb.png.1d12850a6279968e3e1359c115a47776.png

yea everything just worked with 5 with very little hassle lol

• Thanks 1

shad0wxax

ok justt an update, reinstalled it and everythings working... except being able to connect to the server from outside my local network. the ports are forward etc. i never changed my router or anything so its something in OMV6 i think messing with permissions. i know they changed how things are from 5 so thatll take some research

although i did notice that installing emby does NOT make a emby user anymore so im not sure how that effects anything. i have no way to give emby permissions atm that im aware of (linux noob) 

but at least atm locally everything is working so theres that @Junglejim@Luke

• Thanks 2

Junglejim
7 hours ago, shad0wxax said:

ok justt an update, reinstalled it and everythings working... except being able to connect to the server from outside my local network. the ports are forward etc. i never changed my router or anything so its something in OMV6 i think messing with permissions. i know they changed how things are from 5 so thatll take some research

although i did notice that installing emby does NOT make a emby user anymore so im not sure how that effects anything. i have no way to give emby permissions atm that im aware of (linux noob) 

but at least atm locally everything is working so theres that @Junglejim@Luke

As far as I know Emby or any container gets its permissions from the compose stack (PUID, PGID) which should match the user you log into portainer with.

I login to portainer with "admin" so mine is (998, 100). I also log into OMV with "admin" just to keep things simple. ;)

ssh into OMV (login as root) and you can find your PUID & PGID with the command "id username" where username is the user that you log into portainer with.

I hope that helps. I haven't really looked into OMV6 yet but will do at some point.

Edited by Junglejim

shad0wxax
5 hours ago, Junglejim said:

As far as I know Emby or any container gets its permissions from the compose stack (PUID, PGID) which should match the user you log into portainer with.

I login to portainer with "admin" so mine is (998, 100). I also log into OMV with "admin" just to keep things simple. ;)

ssh into OMV (login as root) and you can find your PUID & PGID with the command "id username" where username is the user that you log into portainer with.

I hope that helps. I haven't really looked into OMV6 yet but will do at some point.

Edit: ok I'm dumb lol the internal port changed when I did a fresh install so the port forwarding was wrong. Everything works lol guess I was just frustrated and having alot of issues since I'm not super familiar with Linux. But your help definitely got me on the right path. It still never worked from my data drives but this setup works for me. Also moved my metadata folder and transcoding to the data drives so it won't fill up my OS. Good enough! Appreciate all the help

Edited by shad0wxax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1