Emby Playlists

Junglejim

Junglejim

Hi guys, I thought I'd start a topic on playlists.. With the new Smart Playlist plugin and also Emby's native playlist support. (hopefully Playlists will get the update they deserve at some point).. ;)

I thought it would be a good to throw some ideas around on what playlist's you personally use, or you think would be a good suggestion. :)

So.. Lets share some. I don't have many at the mo but hopefully this post can fix that. :)

This is me at the mo..

Screenshot_2022-05-07_20-00-59.thumb.png.05a505ee606cb8bd2d1df418c3b0a137.png

Anime: Created by Smart Playlists - Set to watched and random

Anime.thumb.png.1c221e165e04976ee868a54cf108f5c1.png

DC Animated Universe: Created by Smart Playlists - All my DC animated movies sorted by date.

DCAnimated.thumb.png.0eacccdd90e288e61d69255a82f84aa3.png

DC Cinematic Universe: Created by Emby - Sorted Chronological order manually.

463530774_DCCinematic.thumb.png.e760a27bd7d4b69530df86a6866c259a.png

How the Universe Works: Created by Smart Playlists - Set to random. (my fave list to fall asleep to :))

Universe.thumb.png.3dc5d376012c4dd3ae6174ec0f55305c.png

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Created by Emby - Sorted Chronological order manually.

Marvel.thumb.png.1d53a48b2039e7aa80c6d959380a689c.png

New Releases: Created by Smart Playlists - Movies sorted by release date.

New.thumb.png.ffc885342dd3053c56ac9222ed4d8058.png

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1

Junglejim

Solve? I don't want to solve anything! Collections have there place for sure but for me that's movies  (2+) created by TMDB!

I don't create my own collections, that's just me. :)

I prefer playlists for this sort of thing, sure collections look better but hopefully playlists will get the update they need soon.. 🙄

Plus a Smart Playlist is dynamic and will update as you add new content or shuffle each day if they are set to random. Collections as a custom list can't do that.

Edited by Junglejim

• 2 weeks later...
dexus

Personally I think playlists are almost unusable until we get separate playlists for individual users..  I chose Emby over Plex mostly because I wanted to share my media library with my family and friends.  Emby looks and performs better (in my opinion) than plex for sharing with non-tech savvy family.  That said, when all users get all playlists and everyone can edit them regardless of who created the list, it becomes unusable.

This makes me reconsider offering my music collection to my family, as it is in my opinion the one section that really needs playlists, but in its current form is more of a hassle than a feature..

Please Emby team.. Before adding bells and whistles to playlists, give us the basic functionality we need.. individual user playlists. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Junglejim
27 minutes ago, dexus said:

Personally I think playlists are almost unusable until we get separate playlists for individual users..  I chose Emby over Plex mostly because I wanted to share my media library with my family and friends.  Emby looks and performs better (in my opinion) than plex for sharing with non-tech savvy family.  That said, when all users get all playlists and everyone can edit them regardless of who created the list, it becomes unusable.

This makes me reconsider offering my music collection to my family, as it is in my opinion the one section that really needs playlists, but in its current form is more of a hassle than a feature..

Please Emby team.. Before adding bells and whistles to playlists, give us the basic functionality we need.. individual user playlists. 

Yep I fully understand and agree with everything you said, playlists need some serious upgrades in that department. Plus the layout of the current playlist is really only suitable for music, videos while functional don't look the best.

I'm the only user on my system that has access to any of my playlists at the moment for that exact reason you described, I don't want other users messing them up.

• 1 year later...
Brendon
On 20/05/2022 at 17:51, dexus said:

I have lost count of the years we have been waiting for playlists to be re-worked, plenty of promises to do so but nothing ever happens.

1 hour ago, Brendon said:

I have lost count of the years we have been waiting for playlists to be re-worked, plenty of promises to do so but nothing ever happens.

Separate playlists per users is in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

• Like 1

Jack Burton

I's like to see a separation between movie playlists and music playlists. I've started using Emby instead of Spotify, and it works quite well overall, but the playlist screen gets mixed playlist types.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

I's like to see a separation between movie playlists and music playlists. I've started using Emby instead of Spotify, and it works quite well overall, but the playlist screen gets mixed playlist types.

HI, you can, by accessing Playlists using the Playlists tab in your music library.

• Like 1

Brendon
On 06/10/2023 at 13:49, Luke said:

Separate playlists per users is in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

This is great news Luke, is there an option to make certain lists for all users? I still use the top10 movies playlist from the playback reporting plug-in and everyone loves that one so it would be good to be able to keep ones like that global. 

Just now, Brendon said:

This is great news Luke, is there an option to make certain lists for all users? I still use the top10 movies playlist from the playback reporting plug-in and everyone loves that one so it would be good to be able to keep ones like that global. 

Yes they start out as private to the user who created it and then there is a button to make it public.

Brendon
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes they start out as private to the user who created it and then there is a button to make it public.

Awesome Luke, took a long time but this is a feature i am very very happy to see.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
alright_ted
On 07/05/2022 at 11:55, Junglejim said:

DC Cinematic Universe: Created by Emby - Sorted Chronological order manually.

463530774_DCCinematic.thumb.png.e760a27bd7d4b69530df86a6866c259a.png

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Created by Emby - Sorted Chronological order manually.

Marvel.thumb.png.1d53a48b2039e7aa80c6d959380a689c.png

Are these playlists created by Emby (as Junglejim states), as opposed to manually creating the list and adding artwork etc? If so can someone advise the steps to do this?

• 2 weeks later...
Junglejim
On 14/11/2023 at 22:38, alright_ted said:

Are these playlists created by Emby (as Junglejim states), as opposed to manually creating the list and adding artwork etc? If so can someone advise the steps to do this?

Hi mate, sorry for the confusion. When I said created by emby I was referring to manually creating the list and adding artwork etc. as opposed to using the smartplaylist plugin.

Both methods will need you to add your own artwork (poster, thumb, background, logo) to make the playlist look good, a overview using the meta editor helps to. ;)

Junglejim
On 16/10/2023 at 12:20, Luke said:

H @LukeWhen making the playlist public will that give them access to edit the playlist or is it view only?

Personal/private playlists will be great and I can't wait to test it out but it would be nice if you grant public that only the creator can edit the list.

Is that doable or a feature request?