Downloads not working on iOS

adkeyz

adkeyz

Hi, I have just switched to iPhone (12 Pro Max, 15.4.1) and have tried to download shows from my server with the Emby app (2.1.6) but nothing is happening.

The show is in the sync/downloads list on the server (Windows, 4.6.7.0) as “Ready to transfer” but there is nothing showing anywhere in the app on the phone.

Some help to resolve this would be appreciated, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
triggerx

Same here... my iOS clients don't even show up in the "Download to..." menu.  I feel like this was working at one point.. no?  Recently moved over from Plex, but no downloads to iOS is definitely a deal breaker.  FWIW... Music downloads just fine... just doesn't download movies and TV shows.  Thanks!

Edited by triggerx
  • Like 1

triggerx

I figured it out!  Finally!  Well, my problem at least, but in the event it might help some others, I'll leave this here....  I found that my list of "download to" devices was different for all my Emby installations, and was able to put two and two together.  I was logging in to the new box using Emby Connect on my iPhone.... and my iPhone was not being listed as a downloadable device on the server.  I logged into the server directly on my Android, and it WAS showing up as a downloadable device on the server.  So, I thought.. hmm... perhaps because I'm logged in through Emby Connect.  Sure enough... I logged out, and logged in manually directly to the server, and whallah... downloads to the iPhone work perfectly now!  While I think there's some combination of bugs and/or general UI/account confusion, but have no way to pinpoint... here are my observations:  1) I couldn't download videos to a device while logged in through Emby Connect only, but COULD download music.  2) Logging in directly to server, I COULD download videos to the device. 3) Even when I could not download, but clicked on "Download", it took me to the download screen but did NOT show me the Quality dropdown (or any other options), but the Download button at the bottom of the screen was Active, but just completely unresponsive.

In general, the connection between Emby Connect and manual login has always seemed a bit wonky to me... Like... on a particular client I always get hung up on "Where's the Change Server" link?  And then I realize i'm directly logged into a particular server, and not Emby Connect.  So for me, I think it would be nice if it would show on my Profile screen if I'm logged in directly to the server, or through Emby Connect.  As the only way I know this now is if I have a "Change Server" link.  (I think)  (perhaps I'm doing it wrong).

Hope this helps someone!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, triggerx said:

I figured it out!  Finally!  Well, my problem at least, but in the event it might help some others, I'll leave this here....  I found that my list of "download to" devices was different for all my Emby installations, and was able to put two and two together.  I was logging in to the new box using Emby Connect on my iPhone.... and my iPhone was not being listed as a downloadable device on the server.  I logged into the server directly on my Android, and it WAS showing up as a downloadable device on the server.  So, I thought.. hmm... perhaps because I'm logged in through Emby Connect.  Sure enough... I logged out, and logged in manually directly to the server, and whallah... downloads to the iPhone work perfectly now!  While I think there's some combination of bugs and/or general UI/account confusion, but have no way to pinpoint... here are my observations:  1) I couldn't download videos to a device while logged in through Emby Connect only, but COULD download music.  2) Logging in directly to server, I COULD download videos to the device. 3) Even when I could not download, but clicked on "Download", it took me to the download screen but did NOT show me the Quality dropdown (or any other options), but the Download button at the bottom of the screen was Active, but just completely unresponsive.

In general, the connection between Emby Connect and manual login has always seemed a bit wonky to me... Like... on a particular client I always get hung up on "Where's the Change Server" link?  And then I realize i'm directly logged into a particular server, and not Emby Connect.  So for me, I think it would be nice if it would show on my Profile screen if I'm logged in directly to the server, or through Emby Connect.  As the only way I know this now is if I have a "Change Server" link.  (I think)  (perhaps I'm doing it wrong).

Hope this helps someone!

We'll look into this. Thanks.

neverwonderwhy

I’m not using Emby Connect and my iPhone does appear on the “Download To” list but some of my music has been stuck at “Ready to Download” for weeks. Some is “Downloaded” but doesn’t appear anywhere in “Downloads” in the Emby app.

adkeyz
On 12/06/2022 at 20:43, Luke said:

We'll look into this. Thanks.

Ok so I had downloads working for a little while by using the "Download to" option suggested in another thread. Just pressing the normal download button seemed to always initiate the transfer for another device, not the one I was using.

Using "Download to" I could choose the correct device and a transfer would start. This was working fine for a couple of weeks but now it's broken completely. Now when I choose "Download to", my iOS devices are duplicated (see attached), on my iPhone I will see two entries for "Adam's iPhone" and on my iPad I would see two entries for "Adam's iPad".

All other devices work fine, it's just iOS devices. As the guy above said, I think there are some bugs with iOS devices logging into the server and causing some kind of issue with accounts/devices/credentials or something but it's definitely super wonky right now.

I tried his suggestion of logging in directly and not using Emby Connect and I was able to download one episode of a show but now it's broken again so I give up.

Between all this and the other bugs I have been getting like the transfer % always just says 0% and you get absolutely no feedback on how long it will take to download, and when you go to the downloads page it will says something stupid like "Downloading 3 of 1" and the app not detecting when I'm on WiFi... I'm about ready to leave and go back to Plex.

This is absolute basic functionality, and even on the devices where it does work, it's still a terrible experience to use. I have paid for a lifetime license and I really think it's been a waste of money.

Please Luke, look into this as a matter of priority, the whole downloads part of Emby needs a complete overhaul tbh.

IMG_0218.PNG

IMG_0219.PNG

Edited by adkeyz

• 3 weeks later...
mrdrew

I found that my app appears to be stuck at “waiting to transfer…” but is, in fact, transferring. After giving it a few minutes (your mileage may vary), it just switches to Downloaded. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, please try the new Emby for iOS 2.1.8 update and let us know if this helps with this issue.

You want want to cancel existing download jobs on the server and recreate them. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Happy2Play

@mrdrew I just noticed the app store shows 2.1.7 but download 2.1.8.

I would uninstall then reinstall.

• Like 1

There are more download fixes in Emby for iOS 2.2.0, which is currently rolling out. Thanks guys.

Guest Andy

@Luke, my wife has 2.2.0 on her iPad Pro but we're still having problems with the downloads...

I can see the the iPad listed under 'devices'.  Were all using the same user account which has access to absolutely everything, so there are no restrictions in place.  But we're not able to do a 'download' and the iPad doesn't appear in the 'download to...' list, either.

I've restarted emby server a couple times, uninstalling and installing the app from the iPad, logging in direct on the local IP (which is how we always connect), and I've tried logging in via Emby Connect.  Nothing gets the iPad listed in the 'download to' list, and downloads don't work because it doesn't go to the correct device.  Nor can I stream to it like I can the other devices, and when I see the playing state in the dashboard when the iPad is playing a video, I cannot stop/send messages/etc like I could if the dashboard were showing the playing state from my phone (for example).

Though interestingly enough, my son has 2.2.0 on his iPhone, and the download/download to seem to work for him (as I think he's downloaded pretty much everything we have to his phone! 🙄) - he's again using exactly the same user account as my wife and I.

So I think there might be some more issues to resolve...?

Edited by Andy

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

@Luke, my wife has 2.2.0 on her iPad Pro but we're still having problems with the downloads...

I can see the the iPad listed under 'devices'.  Were all using the same user account which has access to absolutely everything, so there are no restrictions in place.  But we're not able to do a 'download' and the iPad doesn't appear in the 'download to...' list, either.

I've restarted emby server a couple times, uninstalling and installing the app from the iPad, logging in direct on the local IP (which is how we always connect), and I've tried logging in via Emby Connect.  Nothing gets the iPad listed in the 'download to' list, and downloads don't work because it doesn't go to the correct device.  Nor can I stream to it like I can the other devices, and when I see the playing state in the dashboard when the iPad is playing a video, I cannot stop/send messages/etc like I could if the dashboard were showing the playing state from my phone (for example).

Though interestingly enough, my son has 2.2.0 on his iPhone, and the download/download to seem to work for him (as I think he's downloaded pretty much everything we have to his phone! 🙄) - he's again using exactly the same user account as my wife and I.

So I think there might be some more issues to resolve...?

Hi, instead of using Download To, try just using the Download buttons.

Guest Andy
On 24/07/2022 at 23:49, Luke said:

Hi, instead of using Download To, try just using the Download buttons.

Tried that, too.  It doesn't download to the iPad, and when I check it out in the emby configuration area and look at the downloads, it's assigned to a completely different device.

Hi,  I'm not sure if my issue is the same... I just downloaded Emby from this site for my Asustor As5304T (ADM 4.1.0.RJD1) and performed a manual install per the instructions on the download page.

I purchased a monthly subscription to test the Premiere download media function, however nothing  shows up when I tap Download or Download to.

I tried the stable version and then the beta version that are posted with the same result.  I am running the current version of the app 2.2.0 on my iPad and my iPhone.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention, when using Infuse Pro, I am able to download the media files, it's just doesn't seem to work for me in the Emby app.

Any help or suggestions as to where to look next to troubleshoot would be much appreciated as I'm new to Emby.

08F626F1-C294-4DEE-A949-5C0EB695C81E.png

2C74937D-BC31-43CC-AECA-DF0BA0FC7E96.png

Edited by wc808

Ok to "sanity check", I just did an manual install of 4.7.6.0 on a qnap TS453D to see if there is something with the Asustor package.

I'm encountering the same issue.  The Download button yields the same no options pop up window, and the "Download to" window reveals no devices.

In checking the Devices menu of the dashboard it does show this iPad logged in (using the Emby 2.2.1) app.

I have Premiere key entered (1 month sub for testing to make sure this works before committing to A Lifetime sub) this is confirmed in the status section and the gold icon is showing on the Dashboard page.

All my content is already Direct Play ready format (this is confirmed when I stream and select Stats for Nerds).

In looking at the earlier posts, I can confirm I'm not logging in via Emby Connect (I am directly connecting via LAN IP).

I was even desperate enough to spin up a 3rd test NAS with no license key to trigger the $4.99 unlock - to rule that out as a possible cause. This changed nothing - same issue.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

learnbyflying

Other threads reporting issues with the iOS app 2.2.1, the developers have posted in other threads that 2.2.2 is rolling sometime today which should fix these issues. 

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate the reply!

Just updated to the new app and eagerly fired it up....only to find the same results.  Tapping that download button opens that blank download window with only a download button at the bottom that does nothing.  Selecting Download to results in a window with a blank drop down - stating that it appears I don't have any client that supports downloading.

Yeah, I just really don't know what to say/do at this point.

But again, I want to sincerely express my thanks for at least posting a reply with the tidbit that an app update was incoming.

9 hours ago, apachelance said:

According to this article there should be an option „Make available offline“ which is not visible on my iPad Pro: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001161858-offline-access

Hi, "Make Available Offline" was renamed to "Download" a few years ago, so just click the Download buttons that you see in the app.

@cayars will update the help topics. Thanks.

• Agree 1

apachelance
14 hours ago, wc808 said:

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate the reply!

Just updated to the new app and eagerly fired it up....only to find the same results.  Tapping that download button opens that blank download window with only a download button at the bottom that does nothing.  Selecting Download to results in a window with a blank drop down - stating that it appears I don't have any client that supports downloading.

Yeah, I just really don't know what to say/do at this point.

But again, I want to sincerely express my thanks for at least posting a reply with the tidbit that an app update was incoming.

Same here with 2.2.2