Episode screen backdrop

dredd1963

dredd1963

Hi, regarding the new episode backdrop, is there anyway to revert back to the last version please. It tends to work ok on android phones, on tvs it doesn't work for me and the family at all. The best way to describe it is cluttered. 

Look forward to your reply. 

IMG_20220506_004534.jpg

IMG_20220506_004351.jpg

• Agree 1

Hi, there's actually less on screen than before, although I can understand how with the cover art plugin that won't work very well.

MBSki
11 minutes ago, lorac said:

It looks weird...

Yea, I can't place it. It seems like it's squished to the left or something. Maybe it needs more space from the left side? Not sure, but it does seem off. I'll have to look at ATV to compare. Maybe it's something else like the text or icons that are making it look strange.

dredd1963

Take it not meant to look like this them? Would be interested what this new style backdrop looks like, you have a picture of what it looks like to share with me please so I can understand what's happening Thanks. 

Edited by dredd1963
To gain a understanding

MBSki
20 minutes ago, dredd1963 said:

Take it not meant to look like this them? Would be interested what this new style backdrop looks like, you have a picture of what it looks like to share with me please so I can understand what's happening Thanks. 

The new style is at the top of this thread.

MBSki

Here's ATV view for movie and episode. ATV uses a small space on the right for a poster or logo. I like the ATV design better.

20220505_205958.jpg

20220505_210518.jpg

pmac

@Luke, is there a way to disable this thumbnail backdrop (or whatever it's being called) or a method to extract higher resolution images (instead of thumbnails) from episodes? Even after ignoring episodes with the CoverArt plugin, mine looks awful due to the very low resolution image being used for the backdrop now. It's possible I just haven't noticed where this is configured, though.

EDIT: It seems only some shows have low resolution thumbnail backdrops for some reason. Others seem to be the same resolution as the video file they're extracted from; any idea what might cause this?

Edited by pmac

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, pmac said:

@Luke, is there a way to disable this thumbnail backdrop (or whatever it's being called) or a method to extract higher resolution images (instead of thumbnails) from episodes? Even after ignoring episodes with the CoverArt plugin, mine looks awful due to the very low resolution image being used for the backdrop now. It's possible I just haven't noticed where this is configured, though.

Your options would be changing per library Episode image fetching order to say TMDB first as they have higher resolution images over TVDB or maybe Screen grabber but it can be problematic for the image grabbed with text on it at that time interval (but not positive of Emby's resolution).

But this change only applies to new imports.  Existing imports would require a Refresh or manual deletion and Refresh Search for Missing.

example

Star Trek: Picard S2E10 (2022) - Backdrops — The Movie Database (TMDB) (themoviedb.org) (3840x2160 and 1920x1080)

Artwork - TheTVDB.com (640x360)

Please try restarting the app and let me know if you think it's better now. Thanks.

MBSki
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

Please try restarting the app and let me know if you think it's better now. Thanks.

Doesn't look any different to me. Where are the options like in the ATV app?

dredd1963

Just turned back on tonight and is still the same. 

1 hour ago, dredd1963 said:

Just turned back on tonight and is still the same. 

Does it still have the TV frame from the cover art plugin?

dredd1963

Just checked again and this is how it's looking at mo!  The 4:3 is still showing part of the frame and the 16:9 appears to be back to normal. 

1651922740373824649343.jpg

1651922920627161716705.jpg

• Thanks 1

dredd1963

Sorry I forgot to mention that the apple tv theme in TV mode. Checked on one of the pcs and the backdrop is showing correctly. 

• Thanks 1

dredd1963

Hi luke notification shows that you left a comment here 10 hrs ago, but it's not showing here. Is this just a clitch in notifications. 

Thanx

Lee

I'll second or third this. the backdrop covering the whole screen in low resolution is poor for the UI in windows the whole "metro" look is ruined by this can we at least have an option for it to be in a box as before?

On 5/7/2022 at 7:32 AM, dredd1963 said:

Just checked again and this is how it's looking at mo!  The 4:3 is still showing part of the frame and the 16:9 appears to be back to normal. 

1651922740373824649343.jpg

1651922920627161716705.jpg

I've pushed a fix for the 4:3 issue. Thanks.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Lee said:

I'll second or third this. the backdrop covering the whole screen in low resolution is poor for the UI in windows the whole "metro" look is ruined by this can we at least have an option for it to be in a box as before?

Options are certainly possible.

• Like 1

dredd1963

Hi I've checked the fix, and there is still a problem. When I went to watch a program all the back ground on the series and episode pages were white. I rebooted the sever the following pictures shows the result. When you move between screens you see the backdrop flash correctly, you land on the page you get the result in the picture. It's also affecting movie backdrops as well now. 

Look forward to hearing back. 

16523100733371861185855.jpg

1652310150856568048407.jpg

Hi.  That looks like you are using the light or Apple TV theme.... it is light.