ATSC3 (OTA Antenna) fails on Android Mobile

troyhough

troyhough

For reference the Channels DVR app on Android plays ATSC3 channels perfect (video & sound) in 4-5 seconds after clicking on it.

On Emby mobile (3.2.47) it takes about 12-15 seconds to load an ATSC3 channel, the image flashes for a split second then goes to black. There is never any sound.

Current server version is 4.7.0.37 beta

troyhough

For reference the Channels DVR app on Android TV plays all 5 of my ATSC3 channels perfect in 3-4 seconds after clicking on it. Everytime. On every device.

With Emby, 2 of the 5 channels fail to play. I just get the spinning circle forever. The other 3 channels take 15-45 seconds to tune and will work sometimes, other times I get an error saying "cannot tune channel" or something like that. 

I have 2 of the HDHR Connect 4K tuners so there are 4 ATSC3 slots available.

Tested on Nvidia Shield, Tivo Stream 4K, and onn 4K Streaming box.

troyhough

Delete

Edited by troyhough

Try rebooting your tuner device. It's sending back a response saying that it's unavailable.

troyhough
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Try rebooting your tuner device. It's sending back a response saying that it's unavailable.

It's not unavailable. I have 8 tuners of which 7 are available at the moment. Still doesn't work.

troyhough
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's not unavailable. I have 8 tuners of which 7 are available at the moment. Still doesn't work. Works flawlessly with Channels DVR app.

Edit: Did you delete the Android TV post which stated this same issue?, however included logs from the Android TV testing?  I replied to that post and it posted it here?!!?!?

Edited by troyhough

• 2 weeks later...
troyhough

ATSC3 playback still completely fails on my Android phone (Pixel 6 Pro). With my Android TV devices (Shields, Tivo Stream 4K, and Onn 4K Streaming Box) it takes 30-40 seconds to tune a channel. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, just says "Unable to tune channel". For reference ATSC3 works flawlessly with Channels DVR on both my Android device and all Android TV devices.

troyhough

Luke, why did you move this from the ATSC3 thread? It's specifically about ATSC3!

Also, I started a thread on this for Android specifically, but you stopped replying to it (below). Also, started an Android TV thread on it and I think you deleted that one?

Edited by troyhough

That was a general discussion topic about adding support for atsc3. Now that we've done that, you should create singular topics for troubleshooting as per usual. It's just not realistic to have multiple back and forth questions and answers with multiple users at the same time in one thread.

Anyway since you already have a topic, I'll merge this into that. Thanks.

troyhough
1 minute ago, Luke said:

That was a general discussion topic about adding support for atsc3. Now that we've done that, you should create singular topics for troubleshooting as per usual. It's just not realistic to have multiple back and forth questions and answers with multiple users at the same time in one thread.

Anyway since you already have a topic, I'll merge this into that. Thanks.

Ok what can we do about the 30-40 second tuning times for Android TV and completely failing on regular Android?

For one I would use the direct stream option and then we'll look at why it's failing.

troyhough
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

For one I would use the direct stream option and then we'll look at why it's failing.

"Direct Stream" meaning set the quality to max? If so that's my default. I already did this and posted the logs in the 5th post above.

troyhough

@LukeI updated to Server 4.7.0.60. There is no improvement to ATSC3 handling. Still does not play at all on my Android device.

• 4 weeks later...
troyhough

Current server version: 4.7.2.0

ATSC3 channels play fine (but can sometimes take a long time to tune) on Android TV platforms and Samsung TV's (Emby app).

ATSC3 channels do not play back on my Android device (Pixel 6 Pro). Screen goes to black with no sound.

Edit:

I also tested "enabling external video players" and when I click on a ATSC1 station, it prompts me to pick a player after 4 seconds. When I click on a ATSC3 station it prompts me to pick a player after 12 seconds.

Choosing VLC plays the ATSC3 stations fyi.

As a comparison, with Channels DVR, all ATSC3 stations play back on all devices after 3-4 seconds after you click on them.

Edited by troyhough

10 hours ago, troyhough said:

Current server version: 4.7.2.0

ATSC3 channels play fine (but can sometimes take a long time to tune) on Android TV platforms and Samsung TV's (Emby app).

ATSC3 channels do not play back on my Android device (Pixel 6 Pro). Screen goes to black with no sound.

Edit:

I also tested "enabling external video players" and when I click on a ATSC1 station, it prompts me to pick a player after 4 seconds. When I click on a ATSC3 station it prompts me to pick a player after 12 seconds.

Choosing VLC plays the ATSC3 stations fyi.

As a comparison, with Channels DVR, all ATSC3 stations play back on all devices after 3-4 seconds after you click on them.

We'll take a look at it. Thanks.

troyhough
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

We'll take a look at it. Thanks.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

• Thanks 1