Automatic Boxsets management

sfnetwork

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest this feature as well, but without the need for anything on the file system. TheMovieDB provides collection-awareness on the website. I'm not familiar with their API and whether it's exposed there. If so, it should be easy to associate movies as a set.

• Like 1

sfnetwork

I was going to suggest this feature as well, but without the need for anything on the file system. TheMovieDB provides collection-awareness on the website. I'm not familiar with their API and whether it's exposed there. If so, it should be easy to associate movies as a set.

Not the way MB works at this point (mark a movie as part of a set). This is how XBMC does it and it's a problem (can't have dedicated metadata, bad cover management, etc...).

It need to be by folder structure (folder grouping or shortcuts).

I have this partially implemented but, until we get a lot more "Likes" on this request, it will stay on the back burner.

sfnetwork

I have this partially implemented but, until we get a lot more "Likes" on this request, it will stay on the back burner.

What's the objective here (likes) to get this going?  :D

Edited by sfnetwork

MrWebsmith

officially expressing my written support of this design/concept.. ESPECIALLY.. if it can use the set/collection xml field coming from metab on the off-chance that i have a collection that they dont on themoviedb.. or a collection that I personally choose to call a collection by manually putting the same "set tag" into the metadata of a number of films (my AFI top 100 one for example.. as id rather not use a genre/studio for those cases

Edited by MrWebsmith

• 4 weeks later...
dannypcf

not sure if this has been implemented yet, but I definitely give a "yes" to this feature. As mentioned in the earlier posts, this is done automatically in XBMC, and even in some XBMC metadata manager, i.e. Tiny, MediaElch, etc.. On the other hand, noted that there is a XBMC client being developed, if boxset/movie set (XBMC terminology) can be handled automatically in the server side, I will definitely switch to MB3 as the server to manage my media and their metadata with XBMC client addon as the front end.

Really appreciated to what MB3 has done so far, thank you very much.

sfnetwork

not sure if this has been implemented yet, but I definitely give a "yes" to this feature. As mentioned in the earlier posts, this is done automatically in XBMC, and even in some XBMC metadata manager, i.e. Tiny, MediaElch, etc.. On the other hand, noted that there is a XBMC client being developed, if boxset/movie set (XBMC terminology) can be handled automatically in the server side, I will definitely switch to MB3 as the server to manage my media and their metadata with XBMC client addon as the front end.

Really appreciated to what MB3 has done so far, thank you very much.

We can't compare XBMC / Plex movie set to MB3 Boxsets; completely different.

The movie set is just a simple grouping (no metadata, etc...) plus, in XBMC and Plex, there is no way to avoid having a movie set if user only have one movie of the collection (nfo has value in "set", it is considered as movie set). So in XBMC/Plex, useless feature IMO if user wants to browser in the collections.

In MB3, when talking about the shortcut way, it's actually pretty awesome, and very flexible and detailed with metadata and images specific to the collection (not one of the movie poster like XBMC /Plex)

This feature along with the scene selections are IMO some of the best features that makes MB3 stand out.

So having this done automatically, IMO will be just perfect and easy to manage (or not manage  ;) )

Edited by sfnetwork

aspdend

ok, I'm making this request official.

Everything in Media Browser server is done automatically for the user except one thing: Boxsets

MB server has already all required information (movie UNC paths, boxsets collection path, etc...) and has access to create data already in it.

Would it be possible for the server to manage the boxsets folder structure automatically (the shortcut way)?

The way I imagine it, when scanning a movie, when MB server sees that it's part of a collection in TMDB, it would create the "(collection name) [boxset]" in the boxsets UNC path (since it already know where it is based on the collections types) and add the shortcut of the movie folder in it (it also knows that since it's in the movie details). The rest would work like it already works right now (boxset metadata, etc...).

Am I missing something obvious or this would be awesome?

XBMC does it automatically already but it's "movie set" (basically just a grouping without metadata) same for Plex.

We would stand out a lot with a feature like this... 

Come on! give this request some love!

I think this is a cracking idea - I've spent some time sorting out my boxsets and to have this done automatically as my collection expands would be a great feature

dannypcf

Thanks for considering this feature, it really helps a lot for building up the entire boxset folder/view, especially with a large movie library. The upcoming XBMC client addon with this feature in the server side, would definitely attract users to move to MB3. Currently to correctly manage the artwork for movie sets in XBMC and display info of them, requires to install several scripts and only certain skin could support those scripts.

Once again, thanks for the hard work has been done so far by MB3 team.  :)

Once Ebr delivers this, for every single person in here who is an Xbmc user, after getting this I'm going to need you all to come marching with me over to the xbmc forums to promote it.

• Like 2

kreeturez
Once Ebr delivers this, for every single person in here who is an Xbmc user, after getting this I'm going to need you all to come marching with me over to the xbmc forums to promote it.

Deal!

Actually MB3 delivers so much as-is that it already classifies as an outstanding framework to compliment XBMC setups (there's been a fair bit of ranting/raving on their forums to this effect already!) - XBMC on existing devices (via OpenELEC on Pi's or low-power x86 boxes, for instance); MB3 on anything else (tablets/roku/web access/phones/etc)

This scenario may shift further as MBT matures and gets ported to other platforms.

Deal! Actually MB3 delivers so much as-is that it already classifies as an outstanding framework to compliment XBMC setups (there's been a fair bit of ranting/raving on their forums to this effect already!) - XBMC on existing devices (via OpenELEC on Pi's or low-power x86 boxes, for instance); MB3 on anything else (tablets/roku/web access/phones/etc) This scenario may shift further as MBT matures and gets ported to other platforms.

Can you please echo those words here:

http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneous/67673-media-browser-client-for-openelec

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173372&page=10

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=36788

kreeturez
Thanks. Maybe you can also bump this one...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175430&page=2

Gladly. Actually I don't do this myself (XBMC still manages it's own library; so MB3 and XBMC run independently at present; synced via trakt).

I'd like to do this myself and then report on personal experience: but how do changes made to MB3 metadata get pushed to XBMC once XBMC has already imported the NFO file?

So NFO file is generated by MB3 Server; imported into XBMC. I decide I want to change it - doing so is dead simple in MB3 via the UI - but how does XBMC know to re-import the new NFO file?

kreeturez
it doesn't see that the file has changed?

I was under the impression that the XBMC scraper ignores already-imported files even if they change thereafter: if anyone can confirm otherwise, that'd mean problem solved ;-)

Otherwise will test myself tomorrow.

kreeturez

it doesn't see that the file has changed?

I was under the impression that the XBMC scraper ignores already-imported files even if they change thereafter: if anyone can confirm otherwise, that'd mean problem solved ;-) Otherwise will test myself tomorrow.

Indeed this appears to be the case; changes to nfo files aren't automatically 'picked up', at least in my case.

I've queried this on the relevant forum post (here) and also described my harmonious MB3+XBMC setup.

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an option to show members of the set that you don't actually own...?

• Like 4

sfnetwork

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an option to show members of the set that you don't actually own...?

Yes, but not in actual library, just in the "utility" or where ever this would be managed.

As long as it's really clear that user doesn't have it...

***And one VERY important thing that XBMC and Plex failed to do; do not create a collection when user only have one movie of it... (or make it an option I guess...)

Edited by sfnetwork