Just a clarification regardin Users

Super957
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Super957

I have some friend that connect to my Emby Server trough Emby Connect and they enter in my server directly.

But 2 clarification:

1 - i change the passoword to one of these Emby Connect, but they when come in on server not ask password or not ask to digit new password ?

2 - if i want add an user without emby conncet, in which way i can ? I search but dont find it (pheraps is an option of Premiere ?

Thank

Hispa 

@cayars

21 hours ago, Super957 said:

I have some friend that connect to my Emby Server trough Emby Connect and they enter in my server directly.

But 2 clarification:

1 - i change the passoword to one of these Emby Connect, but they when come in on server not ask password or not ask to digit new password ?

How did you change a user's Emby Connect password?
An Emby Connect account isn't your account but the other person's.  You shouldn't be touching their Emby Connect account as it's their account for support, forums and other things besides just Emby Connect. It's an optional login that can be used as well to access services but should only be used when needed.  It's not meant to be used for daily login.

21 hours ago, Super957 said:

2 - if i want add an user without emby conncet, in which way i can ? I search but dont find it (pheraps is an option of Premiere ?

Same way you setup any user but without the optional Emby Connect username name.

From web console on Server click the Users menu. Fill out each of the 4 pages/tabs of info to setup their username and password as well as access to features and parental controls if needed.

What Emby Connect is nice for is a substitute login method that saves you from having to know the server address, username or password as setup on that server.

Take for example myself who is constantly helping others with issues.  Having an admin add my EC username to a problem account normally allows me to see or experience the problem by virtue of my EC account being added to the account.  I may have 30 servers available  to me as I work on issues with other admins.  I try and keep the list as small as possible and sits at 5 right now.  4 of those are my servers. :)

Granted that's not typical and sort of unique to my situation.  What is more typical is a person having their own server while they are given access to a friend or two's servers. In this case it may make sense to login to your friends server via EC so you don't have to try and remember the username or password on each server. You could still login directly to your own server with the username/password that's set on your account.

Some people try to use EC to make it easier to get to your Server vs remembering IPs.  That's not a good way to handle that. That's the job of DNS. You get a domain name or signup for a free DynDNS account and point that at your server. You would then be doing it the same way as the rest of the Internet.  Most home routers have Dynamic DNS built right in. You can create an account on a service then put that info in your router.  Anytime your IP changes your router updates the dynamic DNS pointer.  With either DDNS or a domain name you enter that information on the proper line in Emby Server (network menu->External domain: field). Then after restarting Emby the console will show up using your DDNS or domain name.  All users can then use that name which is much easier to remember in order to access your server.

If a person only has access to one Emby Server there's not really a need for them to even know about Emby Connect as all they need is your domain name or (IP/port) to connect and the username/password you setup for them on your server.  I setup users with a hard password to type that's also long.  When I've given them instructions how to change their password you can bet they follow the directions to get away from the painful password entry.

PS: I've added to my list a couple knowledge base articles I'll edit to help clarify & explain the optional nature of EC. What it's really useful for (multiple server access) as well as provide more information and links to the sections on DDNS and Domain setup for those using it mainly as an alternative to IP addresses.

• Thanks 1

Super957
23 hours ago, cayars said:

How did you change a user's Emby Connect password?
An Emby Connect account isn't your account but the other person's.  You shouldn't be touching their Emby Connect account as it's their account for support, forums and other things besides just Emby Connect. It's an optional login that can be used as well to access services but should only be used when needed.  It's not meant to be used for daily login.

Same way you setup any user but without the optional Emby Connect username name.

From web console on Server click the Users menu. Fill out each of the 4 pages/tabs of info to setup their username and password as well as access to features and parental controls if needed.

What Emby Connect is nice for is a substitute login method that saves you from having to know the server address, username or password as setup on that server.

Take for example myself who is constantly helping others with issues.  Having an admin add my EC username to a problem account normally allows me to see or experience the problem by virtue of my EC account being added to the account.  I may have 30 servers available  to me as I work on issues with other admins.  I try and keep the list as small as possible and sits at 5 right now.  4 of those are my servers. :)

Granted that's not typical and sort of unique to my situation.  What is more typical is a person having their own server while they are given access to a friend or two's servers. In this case it may make sense to login to your friends server via EC so you don't have to try and remember the username or password on each server. You could still login directly to your own server with the username/password that's set on your account.

Some people try to use EC to make it easier to get to your Server vs remembering IPs.  That's not a good way to handle that. That's the job of DNS. You get a domain name or signup for a free DynDNS account and point that at your server. You would then be doing it the same way as the rest of the Internet.  Most home routers have Dynamic DNS built right in. You can create an account on a service then put that info in your router.  Anytime your IP changes your router updates the dynamic DNS pointer.  With either DDNS or a domain name you enter that information on the proper line in Emby Server (network menu->External domain: field). Then after restarting Emby the console will show up using your DDNS or domain name.  All users can then use that name which is much easier to remember in order to access your server.

If a person only has access to one Emby Server there's not really a need for them to even know about Emby Connect as all they need is your domain name or (IP/port) to connect and the username/password you setup for them on your server.  I setup users with a hard password to type that's also long.  When I've given them instructions how to change their password you can bet they follow the directions to get away from the painful password entry.

PS: I've added to my list a couple knowledge base articles I'll edit to help clarify & explain the optional nature of EC. What it's really useful for (multiple server access) as well as provide more information and links to the sections on DDNS and Domain setup for those using it mainly as an alternative to IP addresses.

Regarding first point all clear now...thank cayars

Second point i have already a  have Dynamic DNS: DynDns ... http://myname.homepc.it 8096.

So to create a user without Emby connect:

i create a new user with a "name" and after input a password for this user.

At the usere i give my address

address http://myname.homepc.it

port: 8096

and name user and pass.

and all run well

Thank for support

Hispanico

• Like 1

• Solution

Super, glad it worked for you!

• Like 1