Movie playing issue with AppleTV Emby app direct playing from Mac Mini

SynesthesiaBruh

SynesthesiaBruh

Hi. So I have 2 4K HDR10 movies that I'm having issues with. Every other (to my knowledge) play perfectly.

These movies play perfectly in VLC on Mac but when playing on my TV via my Apple TV's emby app, I get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcxnvi8MSs

MediaInfo:

image.thumb.png.780f7a93a9c77e022edb3b5be58dfbb1.png

Emby Server Dashboard:

image.png.80efe131f2cccb2333f3aca769bf8657.png

Setup:

Emby Server 4.6.7 on M1 Mac Mini running on my home network. 

Network:

Mac Mini > ethernet > Netgear RAX200 Rotuer > ethernet > Apple TV

Anyone know what's going on?

Logs attached.

Thanks,

- Frodo

embyserver-63786962255.txt embyserver-63787029408.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-920739dd-7e7a-44bd-97b3-b739b149ec33_1.txt

Edited by SynesthesiaBruh

SynesthesiaBruh

Hi @Luke, any idea what's going on here? I'm assuming it's an Emby issue, not anything I'm doing wrong?

vdatanet
16 hours ago, SynesthesiaBruh said:

Hi @Luke, any idea what's going on here? I'm assuming it's an Emby issue, not anything I'm doing wrong?

I think this is the problem:

23:26:37.477   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
23:26:37.477   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

A known issue with Emby remuxing HEVC content.

• Thanks 1

These movies play perfectly in VLC on Mac

Vlc from the app store or did you install from the Vlc website?

vdatanet

VLC decodes DTS at client side, so remux using HLS is not needed.

10 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

VLC decodes DTS at client side, so remux using HLS is not needed.

Vlc from the app store or did you install from the Vlc website?

Ok so then we also offer a build from our website and if you use that instead of the app store version then it will support more formats without transcoding.

The only thing you won't get is automatic updates so you'll have to keep an eye on the blog for new versions.

SynesthesiaBruh
On 5/10/2022 at 11:52 PM, Luke said:

Ok so then we also offer a build from our website and if you use that instead of the app store version then it will support more formats without transcoding.

The only thing you won't get is automatic updates so you'll have to keep an eye on the blog for new versions.

Hi thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. I downloaded/installed VLC from VLC's website and my 4K movies play fine in VLC on my M1 Mac and M1 Max Macbook Pro. 

However playing those same movies on my Apple TV (via the Emby app install from the Apple TV's app store) direct streaming from the M1 Mac Mini (via Emby server app downloaded from The Emby website) result in the above playback issue.

Right apple TV is different. I'm talking about playing within the emby for macos app.

• Like 1

SynesthesiaBruh
On 5/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, Luke said:

Right apple TV is different. I'm talking about playing within the emby for macos app.

Do you need me to perform troubleshooting steps? I'm only interested in playing content on my Apple TV.

Are there any plans to fix this? I ask because I experienced the same issues 4 years ago (Windows machines) when I was a subscriber. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:09 AM, SynesthesiaBruh said:

Do you need me to perform troubleshooting steps? I'm only interested in playing content on my Apple TV.

Are there any plans to fix this? I ask because I experienced the same issues 4 years ago (Windows machines) when I was a subscriber. 

Hi, is the video not playing on apple tv, or are you just hoping to avoid the transcoding?