Hardware Transcoding support for QNAP TVS-663

plexfugitive

plexfugitive

This box is supposed to have some ability for transcoding.  CPU: AMD GX-424CC SOC with Radeon (TM) R5E Graphics.

It doesn't seem to be transcoding in hardware at all.  Any input on this?

plexfugitive
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can we please look at an example?

Thanks !

Here is the transcode log for a 1080p file.  It buffered twice before I stopped it.  I didn't see all the logs before and now I see the Hardware detected log which shows the file limits and codec requirements.  Thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-880cd5ae-2bbe-408a-a62a-b3ea177afbca_1.txt

hardware_detection-63786947250.txt

Edited by plexfugitive

Happy2Play

Looks like hardware decoding and encoding is selected but still fails to process media fast enough burning in psgsubs.  But devs will have to comment more.

&TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - Media: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'VAAPI Mullins Radeon R4/R5 Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'VAAPI Mullins Radeon R4/R5 Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'

>>>>>>  FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: h264, Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'VAAPI Mullins Radeon R4/R5 Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'VAAPI Mullins Radeon R4/R5 Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'

21:34:54.357 Stream mapping:
21:34:54.357   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
21:34:54.357   Stream #0:4 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)
21:34:54.357   hwupload (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (h264_vaapi)
21:34:54.357   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))
21:34:54.357 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
21:34:54.551 [matroska,webm @ 0x16095c0] sub2video: using 1920x1080 canvas
21:34:54.578 [h264_vaapi @ 0x16678c0] Driver does not support some wanted packed headers (wanted 0xd, found 0x1).

The average transcoding speed is: 15.1 fps.
The video framerate is 24.0 fps.
The transcoding speed schould be higher than the video framerate, otherwise stuttering issues will occur.

plexfugitive

Thanks for looking.  I will see if the file has an audio stream that doesn't require transcoding.  I realize the CPU is limited but if I can get a high enough frame rate I will be in business, even if I have to recode some of my files. 

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, plexfugitive said:

Thanks for looking.  I will see if the file has an audio stream that doesn't require transcoding.  I realize the CPU is limited but if I can get a high enough frame rate I will be in business, even if I have to recode some of my files. 

It was the psgsubtitles.  If you have external srt subs I wouldn't think you would see this issue.

Can you test an item without subtitles to see if it is only an issue with these subs.

Edited by Happy2Play

plexfugitive

You are correct.  I added an srt file and restricted the bitrate to force Emby to transcode the file.  It shows a speed close to 3x, which it could never do without VAAPI.   I'm learning my way around the interface.

Even though my hardware is totally obsolete, the fact that the effort was made to get this to work properly with ffmpeg and the qnap is noticed!  I tried 3-4 years ago and it wasn't working yet.  Thank you!  If I rebuild the pc with my intel qsv based media server I will definitely use Emby instead of the other one, which is too bloated and buggy lately, 

Great Work!ffmpeg-transcode-d719a392-0486-4409-83ab-c6754902ba76_1.txt

• Thanks 1