Podcast database support

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

Even though Emby lists podcast support, from what I can tell, it appears to be very limited.  Mostly just rss connections to stream the latest episode.  No distinct library option.

I have all the old episodes of any podcast I subscribe to downloaded and stored locally.  I'd love if Emby added a podcast database supplier, so that an organized and real system to sorting the episodes existed.  

https://www.podchaser.com/ 

This site lists most every podcast/episode that exists.  It would be nice to have a site like this linked with Emby so that metadata can be ported over.  Also, having a distinct library option for podcasts would make this a lot easier as well.  Mixed libraries and using Music libraries as options have too many drawbacks. Thanks.

• Like 1

Bigmack3000

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, I would think an audio books library would be suitable for these.

I don't think audio book really works that well.  podcasts are much closer to tv shows than books if anything.  So being able to link files to a podcast database will make ordering old and new episodes a lot cleaner.  As well as sourcing all the metadata for them.  Especially images.

1 minute ago, Bigmack3000 said:

I don't think audio book really works that well.  podcasts are much closer to tv shows than books if anything.  So being able to link files to a podcast database will make ordering old and new episodes a lot cleaner.  As well as sourcing all the metadata for them.  Especially images.

audiobooks are basically like a combination of a tv library and music library. the correct sorting can be handled by making sure the files all have embedded track numbers.

Bigmack3000

Yea, tried podcasts in an audiobook library but it was just very messy.  Sometimes a whole season of a podcast may drop on the same day, so Emby doesn't order them correctly since they all have the same dates.  Having an online database that Emby references would fix many issues.

Not necessary if you're just downloading without reenaming. 

Even in a TV library, we don't use online databases to find out what episode it is, we use them to gather metadata on the episode you've named it to be via file naming.

Bigmack3000

Oh sure. I would assume some kind of naming structure would be included with this.  But it does seem clear that having a data source would obviously help with that.

• 6 months later...
Bigmack3000

Hey, just made another request, and was directed back to my original request.  I'm guessing adding a new site to collect metadata from might be a lot to ask.  However, thetvdb actually allows people to add podcasts as tv shows.  This appears to be a great compromise.

The only thing needed is to add mp3 and m4a as a readable format for TV libraries.  Can we have this added?  Thanks!

Edited by Bigmack3000
  • Agree 1