Integrate mdblist.com for ratings from all relevant sites

kikinjo

kikinjo

https://mdblist.com/

Contains ratings from all relevant sites for movies and tv shows. Service also has api access and should be easy to implement. With one integration it would be possible to have all the ratings for movies and tv shows. Ratings are updated every 4 days.

Edit , description from web site :

Get information about Movies and TV Shows with ratings from IMDb, Trakt, TMDb, Letterboxd, RottentTomatoes, Metacritics Metascore, RogerEbert, and more alongside movie details, watch providers, keywords, and more.

Edited by kikinjo
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, kikinjo said:

Get information about Movies and TV Shows with ratings from IMDb, Trakt, TMDb, Letterboxd, RottentTomatoes, Metacritics Metascore, RogerEbert, and more

Most of those data sources do not allow free access to their data.  Is this site legit or is it just some guy who's scraping all that data and then making it available?

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Most of those data sources do not allow free access to their data.  Is this site legit or is it just some guy who's scraping all that data and then making it available?

Considering mdblist.com/api site states:

mdblist.com API

Use the mdblist.com API service to access information about ratings, votes, streaming services and more.

If you find this service useful, consider becoming a supporter.

Is pretty safe to assume that data is free. However, that doesn't prevent anyone to establish contact and assure themselves. Besides, couldn't find anything about api calls limit, either per timeframe or total. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Just now, GrimReaper said:

s pretty safe to assume that data is free

HE is not charging for it but the actual owners of the data do.  Therefore, I am extremely skeptical of this service.  It looks to me like they are scraping it from the original owner sites and making it available via their API/site.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

HE is not charging for it but the actual owners of the data do.  Therefore, I am extremely skeptical of this service.  It looks to me like they are scraping it from the original owner sites and making it available via their API/site.

Well, as long as THEY are doing it - and have not been DMCAed yet - don't see how does that affect Emby? It's practically same as getting RT ratings from OMDB. 

• Haha 1

roaku
48 minutes ago, ebr said:

I would guess that the person behind this is either downloading and parsing the IMDB personal use datasets regularly, or they're using/behind the probably not quite on the up an dup imdb-api[dot]com.

Edited by roaku

GrimReaper

As said, there's a lot of assuming here, which might or might not be correct - and is likely something that a mail or two can easily resolve, if inclined so. 

roaku
37 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

As said, there's a lot of assuming here, which might or might not be correct - and is likely something that a mail or two can easily resolve, if inclined so. 

IMDB's terms of service are clear. As are Trakt's and TMDB's. This site doesn't appear to have any, but it does feature a 'most pirated' API endpoint.

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, roaku said:

IMDB's terms of service are clear. As are Trakt's and TMDB's. This site doesn't appear to have any, but it does feature a 'most pirated' API endpoint.

As OMDB's Brian Fritz stated several years ago:

After becoming all too familiar with Amazon (who owns IMDb) and Fandango's legal team on a regular basis, I've been looking into other options for returning movie ratings. With this proposed change, I would act merely as a conduit and relay an unmodified response from other service providers which is protected under the 512(a) "safe harbor" of the DMCA.

Which might or not refer to the same providers used here - as said, we are all speculating and further clarification is needed.

Edit: That said, just in:

L
linas@mdblist.com
to me
12 minutes ago
Details
Hi, 
I did read the posts in the forums. 80-90% of the data is collected via open API from TMDb and Trakt. But remaining data is scrapped from mdb.com site and imdb data sets, from RT and more sources. I would suggest for emby to build some mdblist plugin, and not integrate on the application level. But the best way would be to have PMM https://github.com/meisnate12/Plex-Meta-Manager to build support for emby. It currently allows retrieving ratings from mdblist.com via API to Plex, and developer would gladly build support for emby, but has no experience with it and its abilities to integrate with third-party tools. 

What do you think? You can join PMM Discord to know more: Plex Meta Manager Discord Server

On 2022-04-26, at 21:42, Grim Reaper <grimreaper76@gmail.com> wrote:

Good day,

following discussion here:

It would be appreciated if you could offer some insight/clarification, as it would potentially involve business relation/subscriber influx. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 
GR

Not that it clarifies much. 

Edited by GrimReaper

roaku
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Which might or not refer to the same providers used here - as said, we are all speculating and further clarification is needed.

OMDB is another site with clear terms of use: https://www.omdbapi.com/legal.htm

I'm not saying no one should look into this site further. I'm just pointing out the color of all these red flags waving in the breeze.

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Well, as long as THEY are doing it - and have not been DMCAed yet - don't see how does that affect Emby?

If you personally wish to purchase a new stereo from that guy in the truck in the mall parking lot then that is your choice.  We, as a company, cannot afford to do that :).

I would think our current situation with Google would completely validate my concerns about Emby, the company, remaining completely on the up and up.

20 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

80-90% of the data is collected via open API from TMDb and Trakt.

And that is all data to which we already have access.  The specific data in this request (the ratings information) is proprietary to those data providers and it seems fairly clear that this source is not obtaining it with those providers' consent.

I'm afraid that makes it something that we are not interested in integrating with.  Sorry.

roaku
28 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Edit: That said, just in:

Not that it clarifies much. 

It clarifies quite a bit:

"From..imdb data sets"

As I guessed:

And those data sets are explicitly for personal, non-commercial use:
https://www.imdb.com/interfaces/

Which this service is not.

Edited by roaku

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

And that is all data to which we already have access.  The specific data in this request (the ratings information) is proprietary to those data providers and it seems fairly clear that this source is not obtaining it with those providers' consent.

I'm afraid that makes it something that we are not interested in integrating with.  Sorry.

Which is completely reasonable view, I was only pointing in not dismissing it by default until some more information is obtained. Following that, yeah, I'd say you are correct, especially in light of recent Google drama. 

Edited by GrimReaper

• 2 months later...
warrentc3

how about just being able to support / parse other ratings sources from nfo files?

would love to be able to see the ratings from multiple sources on my media. 

tmm does well to bring that data in…

surely just having additional ratings sources supported and parsed from local nfo doesn’t present DMCA concerns. emby wouldn’t be scraping it….

5 minutes ago, warrentc3 said:

how about just being able to support / parse other ratings sources from nfo files?

would love to be able to see the ratings from multiple sources on my media. 

tmm does well to bring that data in…

surely just having additional ratings sources supported and parsed from local nfo doesn’t present DMCA concerns. emby wouldn’t be scraping it….

It's certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.

CAPRICORNX10X

Why not create another option.  Let's call it, say, "emby premium".  That this option gives other things like imdb rating with imdb logo, dolby atmos - vision logo, dts logo.  4k uhd logo , hdr10 hdr10+.  All sorts of options I guess cost money.  And somehow roll it out to us the consumers who adored it.  I think it will definitely give an upscale upgrade to emby.

Happy2Play
14 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Why not create another option.  Let's call it, say, "emby premium".  That this option gives other things like imdb rating with imdb logo, dolby atmos - vision logo, dts logo.  4k uhd logo , hdr10 hdr10+.  All sorts of options I guess cost money.  And somehow roll it out to us the consumers who adored it.  I think it will definitely give an upscale upgrade to emby.

Most of that requires other tools that Emby currently does not use as ffprobe does not see this information.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/108984-mediainfo-for-emby-pluginhdr-vision-atmos-dtsx

• Like 1