Grey bars on WebOS powered OLED TV (Fire Stick 4K)

Cxodael
Go to solution Solved by Cxodael,

Cxodael

Hi,

I'm using Emby on a Fire Stick 4k (last generation) plugged into an OLED TV powered by WebOS (LG), the C9 and everytime I launch a movie, 4K or not, HDR or not, with a ratio not equal to the one of the TV, there are grey bars showing on the sides of the content. It's as if Emby is filling up the empty space with grey bars instead of black ones. It's really annoying and distracting as I'm losing completely the point of having an OLED TV. The issue does not come up on the official Emby app on WebOS so everytime I face this issue, I must go back to using the WebOS app which has other issues too (PGSUB subtitles not displaying) so this is not an ideal solution. 

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by Cxodael

Hi.  What version of the Fire app do you have installed?  We solved this issue years ago...

Is it possible the TV has a setting that would be doing this?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What version of the Fire app do you have installed?  We solved this issue years ago...

Is it possible the TV has a setting that would be doing this?

From memory Eric this was on Sony TV's ?

@Cxodael - worth checking the 'Playback' settings in the Emby FireTV App (Match Video Resolution and maybe Enable Refresh Rate Switching) but also ensure your TV Aspect ratio is set to Auto ? 

Edited by rbjtech

Cxodael

Sorry I couldn't answer and still haven't got the chance to try these things out. Apparently there could be an issue with the Fire Stick brightness, requiring the LG OLED TV brightness to be decreased (and indeed, I already figured out months ago that my movies didn't look quite the same on WebOS and on the Fire Stick so it could be just that). This is something talked on reddit. I'm gonna try all this this evening and will sure post a feedback afterwards. Thanks! 

Edited by Cxodael

58 minutes ago, Cxodael said:

Sorry I couldn't answer and still haven't got the chance to try these things out. Apparently there could be an issue with the Fire Stick brightness, requiring the LG OLED TV brightness to be decreased (and indeed, I already figured out months ago that my movies didn't look quite the same on WebOS and on the Fire Stick so it could be just that). This is something talked on reddit. I'm gonna try all this this evening and will sure post a feedback afterwards. Thanks! 

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

• Solution
Cxodael

All settings on the Fire Stick and the app were fine. It was indeed an issue with the TV brightness which is kind of weird but the picture looks now cleaner and the issue is solved. 

For those experiencing this issue, if you're on Cinema Home mode, decrease WebOS brightness to 49. 

Excellent.  Thanks for reporting back.

A little known fact is that "brightness" on a display is actually an adjustment of black level.

Just to complete the thought - the control labeled "contrast" is actually an adjustment of white level.