Playback keeps defaulting to 60fps

Diedrich

Diedrich

TV: Sony XBR-85X90CH

Linux Docker Emby Server 4.6.7.0

NVIDIA Shield TV - playback device

Emotiva BasX MC1 13.1 Atmos, (etc) processor with 7.2.4 speaker setup.

The TV is 4K 60fps capable. The Shield defaulted to 4K 60fps. During playback of Atmos movies, Emby would default the playback to 4K 60fps and the audio would be 2-channel DTS even though the media is 4K 23.89 fps Atmos. This caused cutouts, pops, and zaps in the audio. Emby Server dashboard was showing direct play for audio and video.

I finally figured out that Emby was defaulting to 60fps. As soon asi changed playback to the * (starred) display format of 4K 23.89fps, the audio would switch to Atmos and there wouldn't be any glitches.

The problem is - Emby keeps defaulting to 60fps. In the server settings I have the box checked to match display rate but that didn't help.

So far, the only solution I found was to change the Shield display format to 4K 23.89 fps, this would then playback Atmos without any issues (even though the Emby display setting is showing as 69fps in the client playback menu). Is this correct even though the TV's default is 60fps? Shouldn't Emby pickup that the media is at a lower framerate and switch to that rather than default to what the display is currently set to in the Shield? Shouldn't I be able to set the Shield to 60fps and then have Emby playback at the proper framerate?

1 minute ago, Diedrich said:

Emby keeps defaulting to 60fps

Hi.  If you don't select the option to match framerate/resolution, then we just play in whatever mode the device is in at the time.

Have you tried enabling the option to match frame rate in the playback settings?

rbjtech

I would suspect the Emotiva is a key factor here.

Even when no refresh rate switching is turned on, there should be zero issues passing a 60fps signal to the TV to play 23.976fps content - the TV will just do the necessary interpolation work to make it look reasonable - it certainly should not impact any of the Audio channels.

I'm not familiar with the Emotiva - I assume it sits inbetween the Shield and TV like an AVR would (but it's a pre-amp) ?  Maybe you need to turn on a 'video passthough' type mode so that the shield/emby can control the TV refresh rate ?

edit - and to answer your question - yes, the Shield default display should be 60fps (to match the TV default) - and then switch the TV to 23.976fps etc when playing the actual media - Emby menu's stay @ 60fps, it's only the playback that switches the framerate.

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 weeks later...
Diedrich

Quick update:

The Emotiva MC-1 processor was the culprit. For some reason it wasn't allowing PCM audio from the Sony X-series TV and it wasn't handling refresh rate switching. Even with a NVIDIA Shield in the middle, I still wasn't able to get automatic audio and refresh rate switching - manual intervention was the only way.

As soon as I switched out to my older 5.1 Onkyo, everything worked as expected. Result: I returned the MC-1 within the trial period and bought a Denon. I'm now enjoying 7.2.4 ATMOS through Emby and it's GLORIOUS!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
13 hours ago, Diedrich said:

Quick update:

The Emotiva MC-1 processor was the culprit. For some reason it wasn't allowing PCM audio from the Sony X-series TV and it wasn't handling refresh rate switching. Even with a NVIDIA Shield in the middle, I still wasn't able to get automatic audio and refresh rate switching - manual intervention was the only way.

As soon as I switched out to my older 5.1 Onkyo, everything worked as expected. Result: I returned the MC-1 within the trial period and bought a Denon. I'm now enjoying 7.2.4 ATMOS through Emby and it's GLORIOUS!!!

Nice !  The Emotiva looks very nice hardware, but if it has software/firmware issues, then it totally spoils the product.

Denon seem solid on both fronts - I've had zero issues with mine since the day I bought it - it's had a couple of firmware updates as well in the 2 years I've had it but I've not had any issues, so not really sure what got 'fixed' haha.

Enjoy the Atmos !  On some movies it brings a whole new dimension to the film - my favourite passage to 'show off' (lol) is still the The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey @ 2hrs 18mins-ish - the scene with Gollum and Bilbo in the huge underground cavern - you can imagine the acoustics - the sound positioning is impressive .. :)

Edited by rbjtech

Diedrich
On 5/7/2022 at 6:22 AM, rbjtech said:

my favourite passage to 'show off' (lol) is still the The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey @ 2hrs 18mins-ish

Oh! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that out! My favorites so far are Ready Player One - chapter 2 (the race), Mad Max Fury Road - chapter 2 (the beginning of the chase), the musical scene in Sing 2, and pretty much any scene in Abominable.