How do I directly play music "wav" files without transcoding?

Music100
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Music100

Can you please let me know how I directly play uncompressed "wav" files without transcoding?

I tried playing some FLAC files (music) at 96 kHz and also some FLAC files at 192 kHz and emby plays them directly, perfectly.

I tried playing a 96 kHz WAV file and emby automatically transcodes the file to AAC.   There is a message that states the reason for this is "Codec not supported".

WAV files are very common and I don't want to transcode to AAC.  I want to hear the files with their original, high resolution.

I am running an emby server on Mac OS.  I am using Google Chrome to control emby on the Mac that is running the emby server. 

The media I am accessing is stored on a Synology NAS DS418.

Emby states that the codec of the wav files being played is "PCM_S24LE".

I appreciate suggestions on how to handle this.  I was not able to find an option to change this or more information in my searches.

Thanks.

Edited by Music100
  • Like 1

Music100

Hi, thank you.   Here are 3 wav files for testing with three different sample rates.  44.1 kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz wav files, all of them are 24 bit. 

All 3 of them have the problem of being automatically transcoded to AAC:

https://we.tl/t-DKWZcBoIms

As a note, as a test I also now tried a 44.1 kHz wav file, 16 bit and it was NOT a problem and played directly without transcoding.

Edited by Music100

Happy2Play

Testing these files in Edge and Chrome they all transcode but drag and drop into browser they play in browser.

Happy2Play
Just now, Music100 said:

Thanks for testing.  So is there some way to make it so they don't transcode?

Devs would have to change capacities so device/client knows it is direct playable.  Just like these files are not direct playable via FireFox.  So specific research is need to apply it to correct device/clients.

Music100

Thanks very much.  How does the information about this situation get to Devs so that the research and changes are done? 

It seems like it would be a useful and standard feature for a professional media server to play back wav files.

Happy2Play
Just now, Music100 said:

Thanks very much.  How does the information about this situation get to Devs so that the research and changes are done? 

It seems like it would be a useful and standard feature for a professional media server to play back wav files.

The dev requested the sample so they will look at improving this.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Music100 said:

The codec in the wav container can vary, so that's why I requested a sample file for testing. Wav is not a new format but that doesn't mean all of them can play directly on every single platform.

Music100

I didn't know that before so thanks for explaining.

If I could play these wav files directly at least with Google Chrome that would be fantastic and solve my immediate problem.

Do I need to submit a "feature request"?  Or, is this discussion here sufficient to get this reviewed for handling?

• Solution

PCM_S24LE has been added to the direct play codecs for wav for the web app for the next release of the server. I tested in a number of browsers and all of the ones supporting wav were able to play it. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Music100

Hi Luke,

Can you please let me know when PCM_S24LE direct play codecs for the web app will be implemented?

(I installed Emby 4.7.1.0 today and wav files still appear to be getting transcoded.)

Thanks,

Zak

4 hours ago, Music100 said:

Hi Luke,

Can you please let me know when PCM_S24LE direct play codecs for the web app will be implemented?

(I installed Emby 4.7.1.0 today and wav files still appear to be getting transcoded.)

Thanks,

Zak

It's in 4.7. Did you explore the stats feature or server dashboard to learn why it was transcoding?

Music100

Thanks, Luke.  I tried playing the same wav files I had uploaded for testing previously.  (I tested 44.1 kHz and 96 kHz, 24 bit files.)

The stats feature for both of those files gives the message "STREAM, WAV"  Audio codec not supported.  Emby is transcoding to AAC.

Emby states I am using 4.7.1.0

Please let me know what you suggest,

Zak