Can't see content of drive used as recording folder

badous

badous

Hi guys,

I mounted a usb hard drive to my server and changed fstab file to mount it at startup, it works as it should.

I added the drive in portainer as a bind, the drive is visible in emby. I set it as a mixed content library in emby. I changed the location of recordings to this folder.

It records on it, I can see the different folders and files populating it when i browse it via ubuntu gui. But it doesn't want to show anything on emby.

Real Time Monitoring is selected for this folder.

Any idea as to what I need to do to make it work correctly?

thanks.

Server version 4.6.7.0 Ubuntu version 20.04

Edited by badous

But it doesn't want to show anything on emby.

Hi there, can you please describe this in more detail? Thanks.

badous
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please describe this in more detail? Thanks.

I will try.

I can't see the files that are located in this library.

When I navigate in Ubuntu file manager I can see the files generated by live TV recording in emby. Emby has access to the folder of this library, it has write access as it record in it, but it doesn't want to show me in emby the files generated. 

Screenshot_2022-04-21-01-07-05.thumb.jpg.367a92121ed39e101f04ef60d3e6edb2.jpg

I wanted to use this external drive to have more room in managing my recordings.

Screenshot_2022-04-21-01-11-26.thumb.jpg.91768e9925fbeedfd07cea987543ba12.jpg.

Edited by badous

Hi.  Exactly how did you setup the library?

Make sure that the location you are pointing to isn't also included in any other Emby library.

badous

At first I added the new folder to the preexisting recordings library seen as below.

492540085_Capturedcrandu2022-04-2115-29-40.png.6f84522910a87353009ff9e0afc918d2.png

I then changed the folder where the recordings would be saved as seen below.

Screenshot_2022-04-21-01-11-26.thumb.jpg.a4e871922a8fffc07e2819914cf17393.jpg

It recorded in the right folder, I was able to confirm it directly in Ubuntu file manager.

But in emby dashboard, there was no trace of recording occuring as it was showing before I changed the path.

Here an example of the behavior before changing the folder.

Screenshot_2022-04-21-15-50-35.jpg.58927b23d04bd11126dd4b8d0269b8bf.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-21-15-50-59.jpg.86086c69a048a6b8296795f0df2826c4.jpg

After changing the recordings folder, it won't show in emby that it is recording, but it is recording in the correct new folder.

Real time monitoring is activated.

50465597_Capturedcrandu2022-04-2012-12-00.jpg.ea1807743077a62084504b47b520f47b.jpg

Here you will see the two folders, with the same rights, emby can record in both, but won't display what it is doing in the new one.

I also deleted the new path from the original recordings library and created a new library where I connected the new folder connected through USB directly in the server.

1643276728_Capturedcrandu2022-04-2115-27-06.png.7b44a9198b17b8cdacf2ec50b287aa8e.png

But I have the same behavior as before.

I refreshed the libraries, the TV guide, the thumbnails creation process.

I don't know what to do now.

Hi.  You modified the automatically created recordings library?

Probably need Luke to chime in on whether that was ever expected.

My inclination would be to take whatever is in the old default location and move it to your new location and then remove that library and create a new one with your location.  However, I would wait for Luke to see this first as I'm not sure what other ramifications there may be to doing that.

badous
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Is your emby user granted access to that folder?

Yes the user has got access to that folder.

8 hours ago, badous said:

I gave it myself.

Screenshot_2022-04-24-11-23-35.jpg.aca27581fa8203b0df378e2b63631885.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-24-11-24-01.jpg.c1b3f698cd3ed40b77893fe6548fa593.jpg

As a test, if you give it access to all, does that make a difference?

Can you try removing the library from emby library setup, running a scan of all libraries to clear out the database, and then adding it back? Thanks.

badous
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try removing the library from emby library setup, running a scan of all libraries to clear out the database, and then adding it back? Thanks.

It still doesn't show anything even after doing what you suggested.

@badous and I were able to look at this today.  The core issue is permissions based.

The problem is that Emby is running under docker with less than ideal settings and wrong GIDLIST IDs as well as groups.
From inside docker in a shell we have completely different usernames then at the host level making any kind of permission adjustments very difficult.

The great news is that @badous used map points in docker that exactly match the host. He also has the config backup plugin setup and running with good backups.

The game plan: He's going to copy out the latest config backup from docker to the host.
Install Emby for Ubuntu directly on the host, install the backup plugin, then restore settings.

That should bring over the core configuration complete with users, watched status, library setup, etc...
Proper user and group permissions can now be set for "emby" at the host level for the 2 mounts points followed by a library rescan

Things should then work correctly and be very easy to maintain.

As a bonus he'll still have the docker version just in case as well as the fact he's running ZFS.
ZFS will allow him to take a snapshot of the system before starting which would allow an easy rollback if needed.
ZFS used this way makes it nearly impossible to screw up or lose data as you can rollback to any point in time you've created a snapshot.

PS @badous one thing we didn't talk about is installing Nvidia drivers for your GPU on the host if you don't have them already.  I would start with this, then after getting the drivers installed grab another ZFS snapshot.  You can optionally do several snapshot along the way as you complete each step.

If you like, send me a PM when you're going to do this and I can be available should you need help.

badous

Thanks a lot Carlo @cayars for all the help.

I don't have a nvidia card on my server so that is the only thing I will skip on your thorough to-do list 😁.

I will take the time to backup everything and will test what you advised me.

That would explain why I didn't mention it to you when remoted in. :)

Probably the person I was helping after you had the GPU as it was fresh on my mind.
Keep us updated and like I said, don't hesitate to reach out if you need help.

• Thanks 1