Where is skip button for next item in playlist in the OSD?

MBSki

MBSki

There used to be a button on the OSD when playing an item from a playlist that would allow skipping to the next item in the playlist. So there were actually 2 skip buttons. The 1st button skipped to the next episode in the TV series, and the 2nd button skipped to the next video in the playlist. I don't see the 2nd button anymore no matter how I start the video. What happened to the button and can we get it added back?

I don't believe we've ever had two skip buttons but, also, there is only one play queue and that is what the skip button does - it advances to the next item in the play queue.  If you played a playlist, this will be the next item in the playlist.  If you played an episode with auto-queueing, this will be the next episode.

MBSki
2 hours ago, ebr said:

I don't believe we've ever had two skip buttons but, also, there is only one play queue and that is what the skip button does - it advances to the next item in the play queue.  If you played a playlist, this will be the next item in the playlist.  If you played an episode with auto-queueing, this will be the next episode.

I'm almost positive there were 2 buttons, but regardless, if it's the play queue that it's using, then it isn't working for playlists. I don't know what "auto-queuing" is though. Can you explain? And how am I supposed to start the playlist to get it to set the skip to be the next video in the playlist as I haven't been able to get it to work no matter how I try. 

17 hours ago, mbarylski said:

I don't know what "auto-queuing" is though

That is the option to automatically queue up subsequent episodes when you play one.  If you are playing a playlist, however, this option does not come into play.

I think we'll have to see exactly what you are playing and how to understand what is happening for you.

One possibility I can think of is that maybe you went to a specific episode in a playlist screen and played just that one episode.  That would queue up the rest of the episodes for that series instead of the rest of the playlist.  You would need to select "Play from here" instead to queue up the rest of the playlist.

MBSki

I've tried "play from here" and that doesn't work either. Also, "play from here" doesn't work in the standard app on Xbox at least because there doesn't seem to be any way to pull up the menu to select play from here. It doesn't work on Android mobile when casting either. I try to click play from here and it doesn't do anything. The only thing that works is tapping the episode.

So, something's broken. I don't think logs will show anything, but is there anything else I can provide to help diagnose the issue?

Okay, so the real issue here is that "Play from here" is not working for you.  I would think we'd need to see an app log from:

4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I try to click play from here and it doesn't do anything

MBSki
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Okay, so the real issue here is that "Play from here" is not working for you.  I would think we'd need to see an app log from:

So I just tried Play all from here and it works locally, but not when I use Cast it doesn't do anything. I'll see if it generates any logs when I Cast and Play from here. 

Edited by mbarylski

MBSki

@ebr There are no Android logs, but there might be something in the server log. I'll send it to you in a PM.

MBSki

@Luke In the PM you said you tested it and it works. Can you please be more specific? As I've stated, I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get it to work. What were the exact steps that you took and what device did you cast to? Did you cast to an Xbox One X or an nVidia Shield Pro?

MBSki

@Luke @ebr I think I know what the issue is. Play from here is no longer able to handle really long video playlists. The playlist I'm trying to cast has more than 1,000 videos. This did used to work though, so I'm not sure what changed that stopped it from working. Or maybe I exceeded some limit since I've been adding more and more videos to my playlist. I tested with 560 videos and it works. More than 1,000 does not.

Sending 1000+ item IDs on an url is probably breaking some sort of limit.  Best we may be able to do is limit the number of items we attempt to send in the cast.

MBSki
34 minutes ago, ebr said:

Sending 1000+ item IDs on an url is probably breaking some sort of limit.  Best we may be able to do is limit the number of items we attempt to send in the cast.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. My 1,000+ playlist is 41 days long. The most I would ever watch is 3 so I don't need anywhere close to 1,000.

MBSki

@Luke @ebr So, can you change this so it only puts a limited number of items in the queue if it's more than whatever your current limit is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MBSki

Just following up. @Luke or @ebr can you please fix this? Just set a limit on the number of items that get added to the queue. 

• 4 weeks later...
Dreakon13
On 4/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, ebr said:

@ebr @Luke I'd also put a vote in for this.  I believe it would resolve issues with the web app and other devices that can be casted from like what was mentioned here...

Edited by Dreakon13