Emby for Kodi reboots or freeze the RPi every night

Touz604

Touz604

Setup

Emby server on Unraid in a docker container on Unraid.

Raspberry Pi 4 LibreELEC 10.0.2 client with Emby for Kodi 6.2.14 installed, with the Embuary skin.

Issue

Almost every night, the Pi reboots or hangs at the splash screen (see picture) or hangs at the home screen. It seems to happen around 3:30 in the morning. This is around the time that my Unraid server shuts down containers to do backups and move some files, which makes the Emby server unavailable for around 30 minutes (not sure it's related though).

I had no problems running LibreELEC 9.2.8 with Emby for Kodi 4.xx for about 2 years. In fact, One of my Pi is still running this setup and doesn't have issues every night. The problem started when upgrading to the new LibreELEC and Emby-next-gen versions. Did something changes in the new Emby-for-kodi plugin so that it constantly needs a live connection to the server?

I'm pretty sure the issue is with Emby-for-Kodi, as when running EmbyCon on the same version of LibreELEC the issue doesn't occurs.

I can't seem to locate where, in the advanced tab, to activate the log level to info. Could someone point me in the right direction so I can provide more information regarding this issue?

Thanks!

PXL_20220320_093025480.NIGHT-2.jpg

Edited by Touz604

quickmic

Log level is not unique to next-gen. If depends on the Kodi log level -> system settings.

Also a regular kodi.log AND the kodi.old.log can provide some insides what's going on.

NEVER upload debug logs in public for review. They could include the emby api-keys.

upload the regular kodi.old.log after a crash, and I'll have a look.

Touz604

I just sent you a pm with 2 examples of LE 10 debug logs (kodi.old.log). Let me know if you also need the regular kodi.log, I'll make another round of test to generate it.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

quickmic

Thanks for the logs. I didn't find obvious issues. You mentioned Emby server is unavailable at around 3:30.

Last log record was on 03:35:55 in one of the logs an at 03:39:06.064 in the othe log.

Do you know, was this the time when the Emby container was shutdown or was is up again?

Edited by quickmic

quickmic

btw, I assume it was the shutdown. Last record in the le log shows image queries (I assume a background artwork cache was in progress).

That last query failed due to interruption:

2022-03-25 03:35:55.171 T:2969    DEBUG <general>: CFileCache::Process - <http://127.0.0.1:57342/embyimage-f0bbf6a7f5594a49a8b5786e4203ba53-119404-0-Primary-8bb10e2780e4545d6a7abc1fd31357e3> source read hit eof
2022-03-25 03:35:55.211 T:2962    DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0xea9791d8X]: [image2] Custom AVIOContext makes no sense and will be ignored with AVFMT_NOFILE format.

"source read hit eof"

Can you try to cache the artwork manually on le, and see if the issue is still present.

Cached artwork should not lead in Emby server queries, even if a background worker is in progress.

Edited by quickmic

• 2 weeks later...
Touz604

Well I did some additional testing. I tried to eliminate everything I could think of, on the server, that was running around that time (backup #1 that is shutting down the container, backup #2 using borgmatic, file mover), and the issue still persist around the same time, so I don't think the issue resides on a job on the server. The container stops at 3am and starts back up at around 3:15am.

I have then obtained new logs, that for some reason, are much harder to obtain when running the logging mode in debug mode. It took more than a week to make the Pi crashes in debug mode, as when it's not in debug mode, it freezes every night or 2.

The last time the system crashed, it hanged on the home screen, with the system time displayed as 3:28am.

I'm sending you again the link in a pm regarding the log path.

Regarding your point on the cached artwork, is there a way to know which artwork is causing the problem?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

quickmic

The logs looks ok.

Can you perform a test with 7.x version.

• 2 months later...
Touz604

same behavior with 7.x version.

I did a lot of testing in the past few weeks, and the issue seems to be a combination of Emby-next-gen and Embuary.

If I run Emby-next-gen using the stock skin or another 3rd party skin, either with 6.x or 7.x, no freezing happens. When I start using Emby-next-gen with Embuary, the Pi freeze on the home screen after 48h max.

Seems like I'll just use Emby-next-gen with another skin.

Thanks!

quickmic
2 hours ago, Touz604 said:

same behavior with 7.x version.

I did a lot of testing in the past few weeks, and the issue seems to be a combination of Emby-next-gen and Embuary.

If I run Emby-next-gen using the stock skin or another 3rd party skin, either with 6.x or 7.x, no freezing happens. When I start using Emby-next-gen with Embuary, the Pi freeze on the home screen after 48h max.

Seems like I'll just use Emby-next-gen with another skin.

Thanks!

Last issue I could think of...

Maybe you are running out of memory (ram)? Some skins have a quite large resource footprint.

e.g. I use estuary mod v2 from Kodi nerds. I manually remove the xsp (smart playlists included in the skin folder) cause this skin has the bad habit loading them in the background even if I don't use them.

Edited by quickmic