Support for media in rar-archives

korvgryta

We're not rejecting this feature request. It is only sitting as-is due to it's high cost, and what we perceive as a small audience for it.

We're not rejecting this feature request. It is only sitting as-is due to it's high cost, and what we perceive as a small audience for it.

It's hard to know if this is a feature that has a small audience or not, if you want *.rar-archive playback you will not use Emby.

(Or probably do like me, install Emby, start to like Emby, add your library, nothing is found. Discover that Emby has no rar-support and uninstall it).

Normal people will not as mention before in this thread, create an account and post that you want this feature in a thread.

I want to use Emby or Plex, or even similar media solution that plays rar archives. Because it would make my life much simpler.

Its glad to hear that the feature is not rejected.

Edited by argit

I don't agree with you, i really think people just don't post message here for that feature. Someone else said the same thing on this topic. People don't take time to create a new account and post smth here, it's really rare (tbh, i created an account here 4 month ago only for that) ; they just search google for a media server, find emby, try it and discover it doesn't support rar file ; and then, they move to something else.

You said "small audience for it", but it's only based on people here who asked for it ? ; you maybe forgot to count all the other people who use VLC / Kodi instead no ?

It's nice to see it's not rejected, but this request came several years ago with still the same status ; the probability of any development on this is really small i think ^^. If i was able to help, i really should but dev is not my best IT specialities :-).

I don't agree with you, i really think people just don't post message here for that feature

You might be right, but even if you're right, we need to have some way of measuring, don't we? Otherwise how do we decide what gets priority? 

How high of a cost are we talking about?

Something that we could sponsor?

I played with this about two months ago to see if i could give you a quick win, and i actually got pretty far along, however, I was only able to get the dynamic unpacking to work in certain situations. Both of the leading .net libraries had trouble handling some of the test files i created, and neither of them support multi-file archives. So that means not only do we have to handle this from the Emby side of things, but we have to get involved with the compression libraries to make sure they support everything that is needed. So to me that is a high cost.

vdatanet

Perhaps it would be interesting instead of directly play the rar file, a plugin that when scanning the library, if a rar file is found, unzip it and delete the original file. I have a headless server and every time I get a rar file, to unrar it I have to login ssh, find the file and unrar it using the command line and this is boring.

Edited by vdatanet

Perhaps it would be interesting instead of directly play the rar file, a plugin that when scanning the library, if a rar file is found, unzip it and delete the original file. I have a headless server and every time I get a rar file, to unzip it I have to login ssh, find the file and unzip it using the command line and this is boring.

That's not that they want.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a very useful feature for people who download from private trackers that require a seeding ratio.

As of now, downloading a rar'ed 50GB movie requires you to keep the original rar-files for seeding, as well as the unpacked file for Emby, making it take up 100GB of your storage instead of 50GB.

• Like 1

That's essentially what this request represents for most people who want this feature.

• 1 month later...
Paracusia

hello friends,

the feature would be lovely!

here is an idea for a work around:

when playing is triggered, a script could mount the archives with "rarfs" and see the mediafile itself.

script could look like this maybe:

#!/bin/sh

# assign folder from argument
folder=$1

# create tmp folder if needed
if [ ! -d /tmp/rarfs ]; then
    mkdir /tmp/rarfs
fi

# actual rarfs mount
rarfs $folder/*.rar /tmp/rarfs

# here comes whatever it needs to actually play the file
# which now sits in /tmp/rarfs - i.e. /tmp/rarfs/movie.mkv

# umount after player/file is closed
fusermount -u /tmp/rarfs

I think thats what happens in VLC and Kodi as well.

greetings

Edited by Paracusia

Reading the contents of RAR, ZIP is pretty easy programmatic without having to mount it. There are a bunch of libraries available to do this.  The issue as I see it is the naming of the files in the ZIP files.  VERY, VERY, VERY few of them are going to use proper naming as per our guidelines:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Music-naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Audio-Book-naming

Not only will file names be an issue but then the folder structure, how we handle current options that are supposed to write the images, nfo, bif, chapter files, etc to the same location as the media, etc.  All of these things will open a whole other can of worms because the next request(s) will be to change scanners to pickup more content inside these archive files, change where these other files are written, etc.  A lot of time will end up getting spent for very limited new functionality overall for a very select few users who want to "buck the system" and have it work "their way" vs the present well thought out way it currently works.

I don't want to be a (insert word here of choice) :) Being honest, if we could down-vote a feature request I would down-vote this one as I see it causing more issues with the current system for those who would never use these features.  It also goes against the premise of pre-processing your media files to have them in the best streaming format, have the correct names, have the correct folder structure, etc.  Essentially years of work are being asked to be rewritten to accommodate this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
biginsweden

Story time: I just want to add to the architect here that the notion that "not enough people desire this" is completely false, I'm old-school and come from having 30% of 90 TB of data with scene releases where everything is rared (no compression), we just have had a dedicated Kodi computer and now actually start growing up, one ubuntu computer with HDMI splitter and kodi does not cut it, too far between TVs and a wife and kids who want to watch seperatly. So, Fire stick seemed like a good alternative: but since they don't run Kodi 24/7 like ubuntu and cant accept a curl http request to update library when new media is added a central library was needed. Installed emby and it worked "ok" in kodi, synced everything but cant play since i could not figure out where to input SMB credentials (ofc made a network location and there it works), only tried it for an hour or so, saw that there was an android app for emby: thought nice, solution for now 4 TVs, then went to pay premium and figured... wait, lets just double check that it handles RARs... and to my dismay, nope... we don't wanna do that... just like plex, still pay for that since who cares? nice to stream the 70% that is not rared when waiting for something: but to think that there is no audience for it is very incorrect. We, as someone said earlier, are just to lazy to comment: we see that its not supported (would have noticed earlier if not for 4 glasses of wine) and just move on or stay with Kodi as we've been doing for 12+ years or whatever time it is...

The only reason i am even looking into changes is since I moved i had to overhaul a perfectly good system i have not tweaked for years since its been running perfectly.

Hi, there, welcome. I never intended to imply there was no audience, apologies if I gave you that impression. I think it would be more accurate to say we are focusing our time on the features that we know have larger audiences. We are always open to reconsidering though. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I just decided to purchase a lifetime subscription and settled down for it being a good investment. Plex was not part of the question because of what they have became lately, and I needed something that could get direct streams to TV's with native codec support for things like HDR etc. Kodi currently fails on this area - at least with linux background partly due to 10-bit issues and DRM's in general.

What I didn't even consider checking before I purchased it, was rar support. I simply just expected that to work out of the box. I got a bit disappointed, even if it won't be a deal breaker. I will still use Kodi for everything else in the meantime.

It's also a fair point that I would not have written this unless I was already registered at emby.media.

I really love Emby and how it looks, but I thought media support would be like top priority - because that is the main purpose of this thing, in my view.

Deathsquirrel

Reading the contents of RAR, ZIP is pretty easy programmatic without having to mount it. There are a bunch of libraries available to do this.  The issue as I see it is the naming of the files in the ZIP filI don't want to be a (insert word here of choice) :) Being honest, if we could down-vote a feature request I would down-vote this one as I see it causing more issues with the current system for those who would never use these features.  It also goes against the premise of pre-processing your media files to have them in the best streaming format, have the correct names, have the correct folder structure, etc.  Essentially years of work are being asked to be rewritten to accommodate this.

Something that has always appealed to me about Emby is that the team goes out of their way to distance the product from piracy.  This is a feature that has zero use to people with legitimate media.  I think supporting it is not only difficult for the reasons you say, but it's an unfortunate change of direction. I'm not comfortable with it...but I don't live on new customer license revenue so I get why other decisions could be made.

Something that has always appealed to me about Emby is that the team goes out of their way to distance the product from piracy.  This is a feature that has zero use to people with legitimate media.  I think supporting it is not only difficult for the reasons you say, but it's an unfortunate change of direction. I'm not comfortable with it...but I don't live on new customer license revenue so I get why other decisions could be made.

It isn't the piracy really that prevents this. RAR is just a container. Innocent. The fact it is used for illegal things. So is a car. So focus on more about the practicality for the normal Emby user. How many Emby users are there that need RAR support? Raise your hands. Now how many pay Emby to maintain this "service contract"? The "service contract" is by using premier. That provides maintenance costs for everything. It even allows free users to get a free lunch. Their lunch comes out of the budget. There is no such thing as a free lunch somebody somewhere is subsidize it.

So for a feature like RAR support to even gain traction a certain number of apps need to be able to use it comfortably. This isn't possible. Every single time pretty much would require transcoding. It wouldn't be able to direct play like actual real media can on say a Roku or an Apple TV. This is where you lose audience for your cause. So if all these users who want RAR support want to play their media on something that doesn't support it and never can then we are in an untenable situation. This is the unfortunate part of it here.

There are few players that can play RAR spanned uncompressed files without choking. Also what @@Luke said makes sense because it would be hard to maintain with it now based on a just a few players capable. The audience for such a feature would be niche. Very niche. It might cost more to implement in time that could be better spent on everything else. There is a fine line between what is right and what is wrong when you look at time and where we are.

We may never be at a point where RAR makes sense to implement. We might have been if we were discussing this in 2004. But it is 2019. You are cling to relics of the past unfortunately. People still keep their VCR to play their old VHS tapes. This is akin to the same thing. You have to move forward. Keep your scene sets in drives you keep safe. Extract all those RAR to new drives to have Emby discover and play. This is the era of cheap storage.

It doesn't matter where you acquire your media. Emby isn't concerned with that nor should it be. Emby is not an enforcement authority. This would involve more legal expenses if Emby were concerned. Emby is only concerned with "Your media. Your way". Point blank. End of line.   :)

Edited by speechles

Deathsquirrel

It isn't the piracy really that prevents this. RAR is just a container. Innocent. The fact it is used for illegal things. So is a car.

You're technically correct while being completely incorrect as a practical matter.  Yes, anyone could store their ripped media in split RAR files.  Anyone could, but anyone doesn't.  Only one group needs this feature.

The car analogy works as soon as bank robbers are the only ones with cars.

I get your point that this isn't Emby's fight, but at more than one point in the past they have declined features that are only useful to support piracy. I liked that.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if they chose to take a more neutral stance, but I'd like it less.

You're technically correct while being completely incorrect as a practical matter.  Yes, anyone could store their ripped media in split RAR files.  Anyone could, but anyone doesn't.  Only one group needs this feature.

The car analogy works as soon as bank robbers are the only ones with cars.

I get your point that this isn't Emby's fight, but at more than one point in the past they have declined features that are only useful to support piracy. I liked that.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if they chose to take a more neutral stance, but I'd like it less.

Emby storing information to point to online piracy is a direct no-no. That makes Emby complicit. An accomplice. There cannot be piracy related plugins. There cannot be web scraping to rip websites revenue from advertising banners. You can't take what isn't yours.

The car analogy still works. An illegal thing isn't bank robbery used for the car. That is just driving a get away car. Did the bank robber kill people? That isn't what I meant.

I meant murder as in a car kills people. All cars have the propensity and possibility to do this. A car kills people every single day. RAR has the capacity and possibility to do this. Cars kill. RAR is used for piracy. It works. It isn't the job of Emby to police or enforce what one country may see as legal or another may see as not. This is why there are laws. If laws are broken Emby is implicitly uninvolved.

Emby has no clue of what a user may do with it as much as a Car dealer knows nothing of what you may eventually do with the car. We hope you use Emby responsibly and don't participate in bad behavior while using Emby. The car dealer has the same hope. That you use the car responsibly and not endanger others. Emby hopes you do the same and don't endanger others or yourself with pirate streams.

Now pirated media looks identical to ripped media. In fact some ripped media in certain countries (I am looking at New Zealand and Australia) it is illegal to even use a DVR or capture OTA. They want you to consume media on their terms. This is not your media your way. This is their media their way.

Emby is not bound to police its users actions or this can be construed as invasion of privacy and cause lawsuits that require defending. It is best to keep a neutral status and react to DMCA/SOPA as applicaple. Which I am sure Emby does.

At the end of the day it isn't something many will want is spanned RAR support for uncompressed media archives to play across their multimedia devices they own. It is more one display you watch these on usually and that is a PC monitor. Emby doesn't have to get involved since there is already an avenue to do this for a PC monitor. I mean it could for those few who do this with their PC monitors.

But like I said this isn't 2004. It is 2019. Emby needs to stay relevant it needs to stay with the most current technology it can as priority. Only once that is solid and time stands still can it support outdated tech. Time never stands still. You see the problem? It will likely never happen. It is the hopes and dreams of a small minority of niche users. Not crushing those hopes and dreams but don't want to give them false hope either. The real truth is it is never gonna happen. Thats the honest bold truth.

Edited by speechles

Deathsquirrel

But like I said this isn't 2004. It is 2019. Emby needs to stay relevant it needs to stay with the most current technology it can as priority. Only once that is solid and time stands still can it support outdated tech. Time never stands still. You see the problem? It will likely never happen. It is the hopes and dreams of a small minority of niche users. Not crushing those hopes and dreams but don't want to give them false hope either. The real truth is it is never gonna happen. Thats the honest bold truth.

I agree, I just happen to have more reasons than some others for thinking that's for the best ;)

Edited by Deathsquirrel

I agree, I just happen to have more reasons than some others for thinking that's for the best ;)

It has to be work towards the future first then if time allows support other older technology. The future is now. The past is where the reality of economics plays a role. Everyone has to upgrade equipment and lifetimes are put on hardware by manufacturers. You aren't expected to cling to these past their expiration dates. Money and financial expense drive people to cling.

Spanned RAR while very useful even today for making sure you can retransmit parts of large articles with easy par2 recovery. I am of course speaking of usenet. Spanned RAR have use there all day long. Praise this fellow for his collection and if he ever shares it on usenet. The usenet gods will praise his usenet handle until the spools start to clog with spam again in those groups. So I do condone what some call piracy but it depends on the age of what you are taking that isn't yours. Old games. Grey area OTA captured Television and Movies. These are shared on usenet. Depending on your part of the world and where you are in it. Downloading this is not a crime or it could be. It is not ours to judge.

Emby simply are the gates. What happens outside the gates is the job for the police and authorities. Any behavior inside these gates must be done in a befitting way. Proper. All people deserve to have their opinion heard but in this case it is unfortunate that it is the way it is. There are hardly any reasons going for this and so many against it. Emby has to stay forward looking with the past in the rearview mirror.

Edited by speechles

• 4 weeks later...
edejaeger77

Hello,

I would not say it has 0 value for people with legitimate media. In my own case, for instance, I would have appreciated to store all my files in a single archive. For instance, the MKV file + JPG files + SRT files. It has nothing to see with legitimate media or not at the moment you decide to put all of them onto your local network :)

Eric