Support for media in rar-archives

korvgryta

xayide

There is a possible shortcut. If mb did have a proper dlna/upnp client it would be possible to stream directly from kodi and therefor be able to play rar/archived media. If the API allows it such plugin sounds like an easy solution

Skickat från min iPhone

Vidman

I fail to see the point in this^^ why have Kodi running as a server to serve files to Mediabrowser server?

xayide

I do not think it could be clearer..... The discussion in this thread is of mb inability to play media from rar which is a real shortcumming and as such i am just highlighting a possible shortcut. This for circumventing the obvious negativity against doing this in the native mb player. Mb is nice but as long as it misses similar features of kodi it will never rise to the same popularity.

Many ppl go as far as saying. Unpack them or stop getting RAR. Its like saying why download at all why not stop all local file support all together since you can stream?

This is not about how you prepare or get your content, its merely a feature to support the obvious abstraction of what happens on the computerpart. Throw anything in and play, one shall not need to prepare content before watching in such case MB has failed its purpose and we can all go after simple streaming services.

I hope you get the point now!

In simple terms. MB should prepare and present the content to the user not the other way around.

Edited by xayide

Beardyname

No playback from archives should not involve any other client somewhere else, if this is going to be done (And i believe it will) it will be incorporated into MBS.

• 3 months later...
trusselo

how about adding an "auto extract" feature to the "Auto-Organize" feature, if it finds an archive, it extracts it then parses it.

easy fix.

or use Media Center Master to organize your downloads, it has an auto-extract feature. and many others.... auto downloading of shows, ect...

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 2

how about adding an "auto extract" feature to the "Auto-Organize" feature, if it finds an archive, it extracts it then parses it

or use Media Center Master to organize your downloads, it has an auto-extract feature. and many others.... auto downloading of shows, ect...

that's a very good idea.

• Like 1

trusselo

that's a very good idea.

secondary option to input standard passwords for locked archives....

bazinga!

EDIT dont forget to support multi-part archives....

RE: History of the 4mb multipart rar-chives

Before torrents, and during the napster era, it was hard to download large files, and with most people on dial-up connections it was very frustrating to drop a connection and lose hours or days of downloading.

On bulletin boards and other file sharing services the multipart rar became very useful. 4 mb files were perfect file sizes for the connections, forum file size limits and hardware of the day.

Torrents work in a similar way and utorrent to this day defaults to 4mb parts. some "generous" uploaders think that pre-raring to 4mb files still helps.It doesnt. Often the 4mb rar and 4mb torrent parts, dont line up due to a ~20kb txt file or something else included in the torrent. pointless

if you want to save space, do one big rar. if you are sharing to dial-up connection users, using non-torrent/modern file sharing methods, then multi-par rars can help alleviate frustrations. 

Edited by trusselo

Vidman

I thought the reason people wanted this feature was because they didn't want to un rar their files , so they can continue to share them as rar's

trusselo

I stopped reading after someone said "im lazy"

well... sometimes, you cant watch your cake and seed it too....

maybe learn to be less anal about your seed ratio?

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

chef

that's a very good idea.

I made an auto extract app in the "tools" section of the community tracker.

A plugin version can be easily created with some of the end points in the EMBY API. I believe that the endpoint uses the same libraries I used in the "Auto Organier Helper" app.

Then the plugin would just wire up to the Schedualed Task Endpoints and "whammy"!

We use a threading timer to monitor a specific folder.

I use a dummy file called "media browser.extracted" and place it into any folder that is created with rar files in it. Then the app knows not to extract again....

I know.... I know... "Chef you are some kind of smarty pants!"

You guys want the plugin?

deepseth

I made an auto extract app in the "tools" section of the community tracker.

You guys want the plugin?

Did you notice the post before yours? ;-)

• Like 1

chef

Did you notice the post before yours? ;-)

Doh! I read it afterwards, and was thinking: holy geez I just typed out this long winded message... I'm posting anyway... Lol!

• 2 weeks later...
gardar

i already have an idea of how it could be done which is to pipe the input into ffmpeg over stdin. the part i don't get is, since this will all have to be done on the fly, you're never going to get any direct streaming to mobile clients. so you're going to pay a price in cpu transcoding just for the convenience you're getting here.

yes of course, it's still not as efficient as plain static files though. so basically instead of paying a one time cost of unzipping you're going to pay a little everytime you want to play something.

Actually you don't have to unpack the rar's to be able to work with them, play them or pipe them to ffmpeg or whatever you want to do.

You can just mount the rars temporarily with rarfs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rarfs/

That being said, I give my vote for rar support in Emby!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to chime in, another person who loves the software but desperately need rar support, has anybody found a windows-native workaround? 

we have support for recognizing rar's as library content, but just not streaming and transcoding them. but they emby for kodi add-on might be able to

we have support for recognizing rar's as library content, but just not streaming and transcoding them. but they emby for kodi add-on might be able to

Unfortunately it does not, same as with others who've tried different solutions, audio but no video! I'll keep trying different solutions, if there are any :)

• 2 weeks later...

It almost works with kodi Luke.The problem is that emby only recognizes the first rar in the usually used multipart rar archives. The result in Kodi is that you can see the episode/movie in the library, but its length is showed up as 0 minutes and when you play it you get 16 minutes of audio. I guess this is because thats the content in the first rar file. So a fix for Kodi could be pretty simple. Emby needs to recognize all rars in the multi part archive as one complete file and then kodi will be able to open the whole multipart archive and play the file.

Edited by joggs