FireTV won't direct play 10bit HEVC

VirulentPip

VirulentPip

Fire TV Stick (3rd Gen) 2020 so is capable of 10Bit HEVC however it is always forced into transcoding due to "Video Profile not supported" 8bit HEVC plays fine and the same files work fine on other firesticks of the same one. I am baffled as to why it won't work. Attaching ffmeg transcode log, I have no idea what I am looking at.

ffmpeg-transcode-abe7c833-52c1-46e4-bf77-8ef6a09f79cf_1.txt

VirulentPip

Turns out another Firestick doing the same, but have sent logs for this one only for now.

File -  Nurses S1E10
User - Stacy

Time 07:45 UTC -- 03:45 ET (It's -4 UTC atm not 5 apparently)

I turned off transcoding for the user now it's direct streaming due to some incompatibility. 

Thanks in advance. 

The device chain is not reporting support for HEVC 10:

04-13 08:43:59.292  4687  4687 I System.out: *** Does NOT support HEVC 10 bit

6 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

I turned off transcoding for the user now it's direct streaming due to some incompatibility. 

Due to exactly what?  Can we please see that ffmpeg log?

6 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

It's -4 UTC atm not 5 apparently

Yes, because we are currently under DST.

Thanks.

VirulentPip

Not sure what you mean by properly, it should be direct playing that is the issue. It's less of an inconvenience than full on transcoding since I disabled that but still not acting how it should. The devices have full HEVC 10bit support.  

image.png.69362ed2ed3afcaf3d241380a2325fbe.png

Edited by VirulentPip

Hi.  I mean does the video reproduce correctly on the device?  Proper colors, smooth playback, etc.?

VirulentPip

Yes no reports of it looking bad (user is remote) and I don't have one of these sticks to hand. 

VirulentPip

I should add that Plex played back these directly no issue, but wanted to move over to Emby. So seems to be an app issue :(

VirulentPip
1 hour ago, ebr said:

If you side load the standard app on the same device, does it direct play it?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

No can do, can't enter anything into Host. It's like it's waiting for keyboard input. -- Going to try the Android TV one ( is the one I have on my Nvidia Shield, AndroidTV 2.0.70g

Edited by VirulentPip

VirulentPip

Same behaviour as FireStick 2.0.70a app. However I turned off "Allow audio playback that requires transcoding" "Allow video playback that requires transcoding" and "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" - Full HTTPS DirectPlay. 

Back to FireStick 2.0.70a with those all still unticked and bingo HTTPS DirectPlay.

2 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

No can do, can't enter anything into Host. It's like it's waiting for keyboard input

You could not get an on-screen keyboard by just hitting select/ok?

1 minute ago, DarKni8 said:

@ebrmaybe the option to override highest support3d video level in future might help this issue get fixed?

I'm afraid what that would create is a whole lot more troubleshooting over playback issues.

2 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

No can do, can't enter anything into Host. It's like it's waiting for keyboard input. -- Going to try the Android TV one ( is the one I have on my Nvidia Shield, AndroidTV 2.0.70g

GrimReaper
23 minutes ago, ebr said:

13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Nope, standard Android app does not pull-up Login screen on-screen keyboard on Firesticks (don't know for other Fire devices, but I would assume same). 

Workaround for LAN is to temporary disable password for local network, upon which you can just click your way in. 

Edit: Maybe connecting an external keyboard or using FireTV mobile app would enable typing in Host/Port/Password fields? Can't test it next 3 months, though. 😂

Edited by GrimReaper
Afterthought

VirulentPip

I'll see if they can drop of the FireStick tomorrow as I don't have one to troubleshoot with and see if can connected somehow. As for now as mentioned disabling all transcoding for user forces it to behave correctly.  

VirulentPip

Update - Got the firestick, used phone to sort the log in. Reenabled all transcoding options for user and HEVC 10Bit DirectPlay as intended. So question is, what is wrong with the FireStick app? Wasn't it just released on the 5th?

VirulentPip

Yeah this is silly. Family Guy S01E01 plays perfectly fine on the "Android" app but on the fire stick one will only full transcode, says Unsupported Container. Won't even DirectStream, just spins and spins and spins, throws up like 20 DirectStream logs attached one. 

ffmpeg-transcode-19c1daa1-bfa6-410e-af4b-685f463b299c_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-22f0a3dc-da11-4c72-be3a-f5af224c980f_1.txt

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

Yeah this is silly. Family Guy S01E01 plays perfectly fine on the "Android" app but on the fire stick one will only full transcode, says Unsupported Container. Won't even DirectStream, just spins and spins and spins, throws up like 20 DirectStream logs attached one. 

ffmpeg-transcode-19c1daa1-bfa6-410e-af4b-685f463b299c_1.txt 77.01 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-directstream-22f0a3dc-da11-4c72-be3a-f5af224c980f_1.txt 97.35 kB · 0 downloads

very common for XVID/avi.

Hi.  The standard app has some updated video player components to work better with that type of content.  You may want to stick with that one for now if it works better for you.

Thanks.