Emby Android Player Skipping/Fast Forwarding Last Few Minutes of Show

donaldblair

donaldblair

I've just switched to Emby after finally having enough of Plex, and I'm impressed with it so far (it's much improved since I last tried it out a few years ago). I subscribed as well, and it's clearly better bang for the buck.

Here's the setup:

Windows Server 2019 VM, running the latest version of Emby Server, with files on a Buffalo Terastation, shares of which are mapped as network drives. The drives are used in the library, and everything - after a bit of trial and error - works fine and was identified more-or-less correctly.

Videos play perfectly - including the ones that Plex would barf up - and the transcoding is fast and quick. Live TV plays OK as well (using xTeVe as the headend, which is it's own problem).

Android Player installed on an Nvidia Shield device, and Roku player on a TCL Roku TV. 

Here's the issue:

Though I've only tested this with one show, at the last 7 or so minutes of every episode, the Android player will "fast forward" the video of the show to the very end, and leave a still screen (in this case, the last frame is the title card of the EP of the show I'm watching), while still playing the audio as if nothing had changed on screen. If you left the room and still heard the audio, you wouldn't know that the video had ended. 

On the web client, it briefly freezes at around this same point, but resumes playback after the short freeze. This leads me to believe it's a problem with however the MKV is wrapped, but I find this odd that it would happen with every episode at around the 7 minute remaining mark. Checking the library's advanced settings, to be sure it wasn't a conflict, I removed the settings on percentages of resuming/ending playback, which didn't fix the issue.

Nothing in the log shows any indication of a problem - only what appears to be normal playback requests (I've turned on debug to see further into the problem and there's nothing that suggests it, however, I've enclosed the latest log which shows a playback attempt and pause after the skipping started).

Transcoding settings are set to default. I don't believe it a permission issue. I've not replicated this with other shows yet - but, this is happening with every episode in one series so far (the only one I've started watching since installing Emby).

Any ideas or thoughts would be most helpful.

Thanks!

embyserver (2).txt

Hi.  That does sound like a problem with the file.  If you do a simple remux with something like mkvtoolnix, does that solve it?

Hi @donaldblair this log file does not contain any android app activity. Are you sure this is the right one? Can you please attach the complete log file rather than just a snippet? Thanks !

donaldblair

Hi @luke and @ebr - thank you for the quick reply (already pleased with the support!!).

I remuxed the file which played well; indeed it is a file problem. Thank you for your quick replies and support. Emby is fantastic!

donaldblair
On 12/04/2022 at 00:44, Luke said:

Thanks for the update.

Thanks. Incidentally, the files did play OK on the Roku client, so I'm thinking it's still a file problem related to audio settings on the Shield (and I'm annoyed enough with the Shield to now want to switch to the Apple TV box).

Thanks again.