Emby exits video when Shield screensaver is dismissed

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

justinrh

Kind of an awkward title... 

play a video
pause the video
let the Shield timeout to the screensaver
press the action button on the remote to exit screensaver mode - Emby has exited the video and is at the video detail page

Please make the video remain in pause mode so I can just hit play to resume.  Or, possibly just start playing the video.  But closing the video doesn't make sense.

• Solution
GrimReaper

Or just don't allow Screensaver to kick-in while paused? 

justinrh

That seems to be what some apps do.  I don't know if I have a preference, but it seems there is a reason for the screensaver, though it may be of little value.

GrimReaper

Check your ATV app settings, there's an option to allow it or not there. Personally keep it Off always as I'm irked if I'm kicked out of playback and dimmed screen suits my needs well enough, but as you've said, it's a personal preference. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Or just don't allow Screensaver to kick-in while paused? 

Correct.  There is an option for this in the app settings.

justinrh

Yes, that is an option, if the user doesn't want to see a screensaver.

What about those that like to use the screensaver?  Can Emby fix the behavior for this case?

Hi.  If you do not wish for the video to stop then we have the option to not exit to the screen saver. If we allow exit to the screen saver with video paused then it could stay like that indefinitely because the app doesn't know it has gone to a screen saver.  From the app's perspective, we have just been moved to the background.  The same thing would happen if you went directly to another app or the device home screen.

So, the best thing for us to do in that case is "clean up" to a more stable state than sitting paused on a video.  Even in that case, the "Resume" button is in focus so a single button press gets right back where you were.

• Thanks 1