TV Theme Videos Plugin Questions and Support Thread

radeon

I have had this plugin installed for a while now and only now do I realize that I have been uploading themes without giving consent. Why is "Be a part of Theme contribution Network?" enabled by default? I don't appreciate being opt in automatically, what if some of your users have a monthly bandwidth cap from their ISP.

radeon

I have had this plugin installed for a while now and only now do I realize that I have been uploading themes without giving consent. Why is "Be a part of Theme contribution Network?" enabled by default? I don't appreciate being opt in automatically, what if some of your users have a monthly bandwidth cap from their ISP.

Hey @@Guy, Im sorry you feel that way but I did post about it everywhere possible  to make people aware - forum posts, update notification within MBS, blog entry etc. If it wasn't ticked as default, users wouldn't get access to everyone elses contributions which is now over 1k for the three plugins it's integrated into. I think that's a substantial amount to have unavailable as default and wouldn't want people to miss out.

However, If you don't want to have your themes contributed, that's absolutely fine, just let me know a list of the ones you have manually added and ill delete them from the database. 

As for bandwidth limits from ISP's, I cant see a user who buys this plugin would expect anything less than high bandwidth usage from the start due to the very nature of the plugin? There is over 100gb's of theme media available for download by this plugin, which if a user happened to have all of the films and shows that match in their collection, they would get the lot. Out of the two possible reasons for a user to run over their bandwidth allowance, i think the downloading of themes would be the issue.

Cheers,

Edited by radeon
  • Like 2

Cheesegeezer

I have to completely agree with radeon's comments.  Out of curiosity to you have bandwidth caps?  If so I would strongly suggest uninstalling the plugin.

Personally I think it's great to share what you have with other members of the community, it creates a stronger product overall for MB.  

These are all my own personal opinions and have no association with the MB Dev Team.

Neither of you is understanding my issue with this. Why would I work for two months in my spare time on intros just to keep them to myself? It was my full intention to contribute all my intros so that this plugin can grow seeing as how it lacked many intros. The issue is that I was forced to contribute them without my knowing it. It does not matter if I was going to contribute them to begin with but I would have wanted to have voluntarily done it.

Analogy: You go to a restaurant and as you are eating, the waiter is giving you great service and you feel they deserve a 20% tip. At the end of the meal they give you the check and decide instead of giving them the tip using a credit card, you are going to give them the tip with cash. They return with your credit card with the receipt and you notice on the receipt that they gave themselves a 15% tip as a charge on your credit card. In this situation how would you feel that the waiter was presumptuous enough to give themselves a tip when you wanted to do something nice for the waiter and give them a good tip all on your own without being forced to do so? If this had happened to me I would have complained to the manager and retracted my tip entirely.

I have no problem that my intros are already uploaded as I said they were meant to be contributed, I just don't like the shadiness of how it is set to default. I was never given a chance to do something nice of my own volition.

radeon

Neither of you is understanding my issue with this. Why would I work for two months in my spare time on intros just to keep them to myself? It was my full intention to contribute all my intros so that this plugin can grow seeing as how it lacked many intros. The issue is that I was forced to contribute them without my knowing it. It does not matter if I was going to contribute them to begin with but I would have wanted to have voluntarily done it.

Analogy: You go to a restaurant and as you are eating, the waiter is giving you great service and you feel they deserve a 20% tip. At the end of the meal they give you the check and decide instead of giving them the tip using a credit card, you are going to give them the tip with cash. They return with your credit card with the receipt and you notice on the receipt that they gave themselves a 15% tip as a charge on your credit card. In this situation how would you feel that the waiter was presumptuous enough to give themselves a tip when you wanted to do something nice for the waiter and give them a good tip all on your own without being forced to do so? If this had happened to me I would have complained to the manager and retracted my tip entirely.

I have no problem that my intros are already uploaded as I said they were meant to be contributed, I just don't like the shadiness of how it is set to default. I was never given a chance to do something nice of my own volition.

I don't think I'm explaining my point very well. In short,  if you don't have the option selected, you don't get access to the themes being uploaded by others, that's what the option is there for. Its to give users the ability to stop getting user contributed themes that haven't been confirmed/approved in regards to quality/size/relevance.

I don't think your analogy translates very well as its excludes any translated reference to the extra themes available through that very same check box, which is why I think you have missed my point.

You're right as far as the uploads though, as it explains, the tick box does also enable the upload any themes you have available locally that dont exist on the server but I'm obviously going to tie the two together as it keeps things fair.

The details were all made public about the feature around 6 hours before it was released. All of the feedback i got was all positive so I didn't see it  issue and it was released.

The ratio of people uploading is so small in comparison to those benefiting from the contributed themes that the tick box your referring to actually has more weight in that, if they don't have it ticked, they don't get the additional media so I feel the plugin isnt giving the user what they wanted in the best way it could if it was delivered unticked.

As I said, I made everyone aware of the feature in every possible way I could. I couldn't do any more than that other than making it an opt in rather than opt out but that would conflict with my points above. There was absolutely no shadiness involved. The purpose of the plugin is to give people access to as much media as available and if that option isnt ticked then the users arent getting what they bought the plugin for.

If other users have an issue with it then I may look to take it out but at the stage, i dont have any intention to.

Edited by radeon

radeon

Is there a way for us end-users to confirm if we have been included in the Contributors' Network?

Sure, A couple of ways, 1) if the plugin has downloaded any new themes over the past weekend they they will be from the network so you're included, and 2) the main way is to look in the plugins config at the contributors network section.

radeon

I have just released a new version which I'm really not happy about. This change means the Contribution Network is disabled on delivery. I didnt realise people would have such issues with the concept as they do. It's somewhat beyond me and I really cant get my head around why people wouldn't want it and voice such concerns to that effect but you cant please everyone, right?!

With that in mind, if you want in on the CN, just make sure you still have the tick box ticked under the plugins config after the update

treason

Hey radeon,

I purchased this blindly, and it works really well. Well done man

Personally, idgaf about the uploading.

• Like 2

mattykellyuk

Hi

Loving the plugin thanks for your work. I made a few themes last night and realised they were too loud, so i was thinking I would upload them then download them again with the normalisation. I did a rescan and clicked to upload, took a little while but noticed it only uploaded one. Is there something im doing wrong? The files are mp4's.

Thanks

radeon

Hi

Loving the plugin thanks for your work. I made a few themes last night and realised they were too loud, so i was thinking I would upload them then download them again with the normalisation. I did a rescan and clicked to upload, took a little while but noticed it only uploaded one. Is there something im doing wrong? The files are mp4's.

Thanks

Hey! Thanks! :-D

As for the themes, the main thing that springs to mind is if mbs hasnt detected the themes as being added to the library, Just running a library scan first should fix that. Otherwise, whats the file sizes? if they are over 100mb, they should be uploaded still, just not immediately made available. 

Otherwise, can you give me a fresh full debug log via PM? Just restart mbs, wait for it to initialise and the initial library scan to finish etc, then run the upload task, wait for it to finish and give me that log.I should be able to determine whats going on from that.

Cheers!

dansblackcat

This plug-in is fantastic!

I purchased both the movie and TV theme song plug-ins and had everything up and running in no time at all.

Am I right in assuming that my backdrops wont start to scroll until the song has finished playing?

On some occasions when I go into a tv series from the EHS no song plays, but if I change it from LATEST to UNWATCHED and go into the same folder it does play.  Only happens with TV never for movies.

I think it has something to do with when there might be multiple episodes added at the same time?  

Also I have a first world problem.  The theme song for the 'Astro Boy' series from the 80's has the theme song from the 60's series.  In some parts of the world countries go to war over things like this ;)

I have the correct version if you need it?  Not sure on the quality, I was using it as a ringtone ages ago.

Dan

Also I have a first world problem.  The theme song for the 'Astro Boy' series from the 80's has the theme song from the 60's series.  In some parts of the world countries go to war over things like this ;)

I have the correct version if you need it?  Not sure on the quality, I was using it as a ringtone ages ago.

Dan

Unless something has changed (and I don't think it has), the theme songs are retrieved by title from an outside source instead of being indexed by show id in radeon's repository like the theme videos are.  So getting the wrong theme song is very easy to do and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

• Like 1

dansblackcat

Unless something has changed (and I don't think it has), the theme songs are retrieved by title from an outside source instead of being indexed by show id in radeon's repository like the theme videos are.  So getting the wrong theme song is very easy to do and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Ahh that makes sense.  Thanks for the reply.

• 2 months later...
ireme

Sorry Radeon but even with version 1.0.0.5 and MBC v182 the screen keeps coming in black when playing the mp3 theme.

radeon

The recent update fixed the media playing fullscreen over the top of the details page. It doesnt fix the black screen for theme music in the backdround.

Can you confirm that it is now playing in the background behind the movie/tv details please?

• 3 weeks later...
ireme

Radeon, the problem of the black screen remains the same in fullscreen.

If I do a back command when blackscreen, then the music goes on seeing the details of the movie.

I think is a compatibility issue with last MB Classic because worked well before.

http://www.firedrive.com/file/2207888662D92638

Edited by ireme

radeon

Radeon, the problem of the black screen remains the same in fullscreen.

If I do a back command when blackscreen, then the music goes on seeing the details of the movie.

I think is a compatibility issue with last MB Classic because worked well before.

hey @@ireme, Can you supply a full debug log from mbc from it starting to to the issue happening please. Edited by radeon

radeon

Radeon, I did a fresh MBServer and MBClassic installation but even fix the problem.

If you need anything else please let me know

OK, again, i can see you have breeze installed. You need to either uninstall it, or disable its method of controlling theme media and install the free theme backdrops plugin instead. Then you need to configure that free plugin to play theme backdrops. That is confirmed working with the latest version of MBC.

radeon

Yes, you're right. With chocolate theme works perfectly.

Thanks to support

hey@ ireme

You should still be able to use breeze, just as long as you disable its facility to play theme media. As i say, it has its own method to play theme media which as far as i am aware, is out dated and wont work with the latest versions of MBC.

As long as you have the free plugin installed, it should work for all themes. :-)