Terminate Remote Playback From Dashboard/User Sessions

lmsemby

lmsemby

Just inquiring if/when we would have the ability to terminate, pause, notify remote users on their devices from the server dashboard/user sessions menu? Roku, firetv/stick, samsung tv, etc. It seems to work for local devices. This is a feature I'm always looking for as I used it quite a bit on plex.

HI, yes this is already possible. Are you using a reverse proxy for remote access?

Then most likely it is configured in such a way that it is not allowing the web socket requests. This is what our remote control features use to send commands to client apps.

I would suggest comparing your reverse proxy configuration to that of @pir8radio:

pir8radio
22 hours ago, lmsemby said:

Just inquiring if/when we would have the ability to terminate, pause, notify remote users on their devices from the server dashboard/user sessions menu? Roku, firetv/stick, samsung tv, etc. It seems to work for local devices. This is a feature I'm always looking for as I used it quite a bit on plex.

yes,   if you are using a generic pre-built nginx or proxy config chances are websockets either don't work or the user will have the remote control functions available for a short time after they first connect.     These are signs the proxy is not configured correctly. 

lmsemby

I'm using NPM and subdomains. I just toggle websocket support and values are entered (refer below). I can control android phone remotely, but not firetv/stick, samsung, roku, that I've noticed. I've tried your config. So far no luck. Ideas?

proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;                                                 
    proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;                          
    proxy_http_version 1.1;

Edited by lmsemby

lmsemby

Yes. I have figured out that if the websocket connections are working whether it's local or remote I will see the play/pause/stop buttons in the user session. Locally every client shows these buttons that I've tested. Remotely the only client that shows these buttons is users who are using an android phone client. I have some users who use samsung tv's, roku's, and firesticks and I have not been able to get these buttons to appear in their user session. Since I can control the android client remotely, I would think that my websocket config is correct. Maybe I'm wrong? IDK. Getting a little frustrated with this. Honestly I didn't have this issue on my plex server. I'm using the same reverse proxy and config and it just worked without issue. I could even execute the stop/pause commands from tautulli behind the same proxy setup and it worked every time. In case of confusion once I enabled websocket support in my proxy config my plex and tautulli servers controlled remote clients just fine. I can't test it anymore as I've completely blown out my plex and tautulli servers since moving to Emby a few years ago. I see real promise in Emby and I and all my users love the Emby user interface which is why I want to stay with Emby. ???

• 3 weeks later...

What version of the emby Samsung app do you have?

For Roku there is no web socket protocol. Roku does not support that. We have implemented a Roku specific solution but Roku only allows it from inside the local network.

lmsemby
On 4/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, Luke said:

What version of the emby Samsung app do you have?

For Roku there is no web socket protocol. Roku does not support that. We have implemented a Roku specific solution but Roku only allows it from inside the local network.

This answers my question.

• Thanks 1