Recomended tv box

Zellogize

Zellogize

Hey!

I was thinking of getting a tv-box for my living room. Seems some of the boxed don't work very well with Emby.

Was first looking at Xiaomi Mi Box. Then I went on to look at some boards with the S905 x2-x4. The s905 etc don't seem to have support for some apps DRM stuff what I've read. But it can play almost all codecs there is. A good middle-ground might be to use one of those boards and install RPI image on a SD card? Then I get a fine hardware rather cheap while still using a nice software.

Nvidia Shield is a bit over my price-range. And I don't plan on streaming games, so a bit overkill too.

What I want for the media box is to be able to play 4k hevc x265, 10 and 8bit and pref to be able to stream most of the DTS / Dolby audio, HDR and Dolby vision etc. I think you understand what I mean. I'm used to play my materials from my normal PC. I tried for a while to get a Raspberry pi 3 to work, but it's lacking in power to play 4k. And by the looks of it Xbox don't like the x265 format. Seems it wont play it at all, no idea why they don't allow it. It definitively got the power for it.

My mind have been going towards finding a small htpc to stream, but seems overkill. Especially when there are so many different Tv-boxes around for a much cheaper price.

What boxes have you tried that works without any lag or stuttering?

clarkss12

I am not aware of any Android boxes that support all the goodies that you describe, Except the Nvidia Shield. 

However, IF you JUST need an inexpensive device to play your local content only, then any of the low cost Amlogic boxes running CoreELEC will give you what you want.  It will play all the video and audio codecs that are available (except Dolby Vision), with automatic framerate and resolution switching.

Pair that with Quickmic's Emby next-gen addon and you have a sub $50 media power house.

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

rbjtech

The Amazon 4K max devices are pretty amazing for the money.  They play DV and even have AV1 support in hardware.  The only thing they don't do (like most other boxes these days) is DTS .. :(

If you just want to 'play' then you can certainly build your own, but if you just want it to 'work' out the box (and you value your time/sanity more than saving a few bucks..), then the mainstream box's have the best compatibility & support - nvidia shield pro & Amazon 4K sticks.  I *think* some of the high end Roku's can also be put in this 'just work' category but I have no experience of these.  Maybe ask in the Forum Roku client thread. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zellogize said:

Nvidia Shield is a bit over my price-range. And I don't plan on streaming games, so a bit overkill too.

It isn't overkill. It is the only android device that supports exactly what you want. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Zellogize

I see. Thanks for the info everyone!

Might try an AmLogic box soon then. If I'm not lucky to find an old computer for this purpose.

There isn't a place to find a just board with the amlogic 905x4 chip? I could only find all the brand things. Closest I could find was a developer-kit for 200€. This might be a product you need to order 1000+ to be able to get. But I'm surprised I couldn't find any boards.

Wanted to make sure I didn't miss any obvious choice before purchasing anything.

18 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The Amazon 4K max devices are pretty amazing for the money.  They play DV and even have AV1 support in hardware.  The only thing they don't do (like most other boxes these days) is DTS .. :(

If you just want to 'play' then you can certainly build your own, but if you just want it to 'work' out the box (and you value your time/sanity more than saving a few bucks..), then the mainstream box's have the best compatibility & support - nvidia shield pro & Amazon 4K sticks.  I *think* some of the high end Roku's can also be put in this 'just work' category but I have no experience of these.  Maybe ask in the Forum Roku client thread. 

Define build my own. As in htpc or RPI & similar cards? I don't mind sitting a day or two trying/researching.

16 hours ago, ebr said:

It isn't overkill. It is the only android device that supports exactly what you want. 

Alright, thanks!

19 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

I am not aware of any Android boxes that support all the goodies that you describe, Except the Nvidia Shield. 

However, IF you JUST need an inexpensive device to play your local content only, then any of the low cost Amlogic boxes running CoreELEC will give you what you want.  It will play all the video and audio codecs that are available (except Dolby Vision), with automatic framerate and resolution switching.

Pair that with Quickmic's Emby next-gen addon and you have a sub $50 media power house.

Thanks! I'll keep those names saved in case I go this way.

Might end up just getting a shield to be rid of all the issues. I need to digest the topic a bit more before I make up my mind.