DTS-HD to Dobly Digital Issues - Shield TV / Sonos Beam / LG OLED

schn0052

schn0052

Hello,

I have the following setup

-A Shield TV Pro connected to my LG OLED TV via HDMI.

-Sonos Beam(Gen1) connected to LG OLED TV via Optical

Issue

When playing a 4K HDR 10BIT video that has an audio stream such as DTS-HD MA 7.1 the audio gets down converted to Dolby Digital 2.0 (I think by the Shield or LG TV or Beam as in Emby dashboard it shows Direct Play, see attachment Before-Changing-Audio-Settings.jpg). This then made me realize of course the Sonos Beam only supports Dobly Digital 5.1 audio streams so although Emby thinks its directly playing, something is down converting it to a lower Dolby Digital 2.0(As I can see in the Sonos app).

I then noticed the setting in the Shield TV app that allows me to set "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital", this actually fixed the audio stream and in the Sonos app it now shows as Dolby Digital 5.1(See attachment After-Chaning-Audio-Setting.jpg) however it breaks the entire video stream. The stream becomes glitchly with green boxes (See attachment Broken_Video_Stream).

I have attached the server log as well. Please let me know if there is something I can do to resolve this or if its best to shy away from these types of audio codecs because I am using a Sonos Beam.

Before-Changing-Audio-Settings.jpg

After-Chaning-Audio-Setting.jpg

Broken_Video_Stream.jpg

Broken-Video_Nerd_stats.jpg

Emby.log

arrbee99

I know pretty much nothing about this kind of thing, but isn't it generally recommended to connect Shield to Sonos via HDMI to TV via HDMI (arc) ?

schn0052

I have also done it via Arc with the same same symptoms as above, but because the Beam only supports DD I wanted to save a HDMI port.

schn0052

More information on this as I troubleshot more today on this, it seems to only happen to maybe one or two movies in my library and it only seems to effect them when I resume or seek far into the movie and not every time. Today in one of my tests I fast forwarded 3 times before the video got choppy.. If i start the movie and let it play though it seems to remux it perfectly fine. Not sure where to go from here? I assume it cant be a bad video since If I let it play it it works fine and if I dont remux it it plays fine too.

arrbee99

Some of this actually sounds quite similar to this thing I get -

What d'you reckon ?

schn0052

Yeah it seems similar, I am not sure what to do and gave up on that rip. It seems to only happen to certain video files. 

arrbee99

Anything in common for the ones that don't play, You thought it was the DTS-HD bit ? Or are some of those fine ? I thought it was that, then thought Handbrake did something, but some (untouched) 4K ones stutter as well.

Anyway, I need to check and be more methodical, but I haven't got the patience...

schn0052

I am not really sure how to be more methodical with my testing, I originally thought it was DTS HD on HVEC HDR movies however an MP4 that was 4K non-hdr with ac3 audio did the same thing to me the other day

arrbee99

Might be stuck with it I suppose. If I'm feeling enthusiastic, I'll try some more stuff and maybe try with an external player. And they'll probably be fine playing with a different audio track, not that having to do that should be necessary.

schn0052

So again tonight it is happening to another movie that’s 4K HVEC 10bit / DTS-HD MA 7.1 video, I noticed in both video files under embedded title it says DTS:X 7.1. These two files that had this issue it happend too.

Now I am wondering if it has to do with DTS:X and remuxing that format

mike3231

@schn0052

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this or is it still an issue for you? It sounds like I have the exact same issue. Hard to pinpoint on certain videos.. but definitely seems to be an issue with DTS:X /7.1 videos. My setup is SHIELD (2019 Tube) > LG GX > Sonos Arc - DTS in all flavours is not supported by my TV so it will try to convert to DD 5.1 everytime and seems to be fine for DTS/DTS-HD but not DTS:X/ 7.1, it sounds correct but the video quality is broken (green artefacts/stuttering/screen tearing). However if you downmix to Stereo, it plays fine.

schn0052
4 hours ago, mike3231 said:

@schn0052

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this or is it still an issue for you? It sounds like I have the exact same issue. Hard to pinpoint on certain videos.. but definitely seems to be an issue with DTS:X /7.1 videos. My setup is SHIELD (2019 Tube) > LG GX > Sonos Arc - DTS in all flavours is not supported by my TV so it will try to convert to DD 5.1 everytime and seems to be fine for DTS/DTS-HD but not DTS:X/ 7.1, it sounds correct but the video quality is broken (green artefacts/stuttering/screen tearing). However if you downmix to Stereo, it plays fine.

I would say these symptoms are 100% what I am experiencing including the downmixing to 2.0 fixing the remuxing.

@Luke, I will find time this weekend to side load the app. I have a video file now that lets me 100% reproduce the symptoms so it will be very easy for me to tell if this resolves it. I will post back soon with details. Thanks for assistance in!

1 hour ago, schn0052 said:

I would say these symptoms are 100% what I am experiencing including the downmixing to 2.0 fixing the remuxing.

@Luke, I will find time this weekend to side load the app. I have a video file now that lets me 100% reproduce the symptoms so it will be very easy for me to tell if this resolves it. I will post back soon with details. Thanks for assistance in!

That would be great, thanks !

mike3231
3 hours ago, schn0052 said:

@Luke

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I believe this is what I'm already running.. The emby for android tv app doesn't appear to be on the play store anymore or even for Android devices so I've already manually installed the apk from your website to my shield and the symptoms remain. I found this out recently after factory resetting my shield because of poor performance overall since upgrading to Experience 9. So whatever version of the app I was running previously and the manually installed one share the same issues :(

I can see my server is transcoding when it is happening as expected but the server doesnt appear to be under huge load. It can handle HDR to SDR so you'd think it could handle the DTS:X to DD5.1.

I'm faffing with KODI at the moment to see if the issues are specific to the shield or the emby player app but so far the audio doesn't passthrough correctly for all videos so I have some tweaking to do with that. But I prefer to use the emby app, it's so much nicer to navigate around. 

mike3231
1 hour ago, mike3231 said:

@Luke

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I believe this is what I'm already running.. The emby for android tv app doesn't appear to be on the play store anymore or even for Android devices so I've already manually installed the apk from your website to my shield and the symptoms remain. I found this out recently after factory resetting my shield because of poor performance overall since upgrading to Experience 9. So whatever version of the app I was running previously and the manually installed one share the same issues :(

I can see my server is transcoding when it is happening as expected but the server doesnt appear to be under huge load. It can handle HDR to SDR so you'd think it could handle the DTS:X to DD5.1.

I'm faffing with KODI at the moment to see if the issues are specific to the shield or the emby player app but so far the audio doesn't passthrough correctly for all videos so I have some tweaking to do with that. But I prefer to use the emby app, it's so much nicer to navigate around. 

@Luke 

Sorry I just realised you meant install the Android (mobile) version of the app on the Android TV. However my post above may be of some relevance still.

I have tried to install the Emby for Android (mobile) on my nVidia Shield but unfortunately, there isn't the "Audio Output" playback option like in the Android TV version to "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital". So when trying to play the file in question it downmixes it to Stereo, but the video plays fine like on the Android TV version. The issue seems to be specific to the "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital" when playing DTS:X / 7.1 files.

schn0052
6 hours ago, mike3231 said:

@Luke 

Sorry I just realised you meant install the Android (mobile) version of the app on the Android TV. However my post above may be of some relevance still.

I have tried to install the Emby for Android (mobile) on my nVidia Shield but unfortunately, there isn't the "Audio Output" playback option like in the Android TV version to "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital". So when trying to play the file in question it downmixes it to Stereo, but the video plays fine like on the Android TV version. The issue seems to be specific to the "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital" when playing DTS:X / 7.1 files.

Just side loaded the app as well, I have the same issue @Luke. When i play the video with DTS:X / 7.1 the app has a pop up that says audio not supported and the server dosnt try to transcode the audio file which results in no sound. When the file is direct played the video glitches do not occur. It’s only when it remuxes the file to DD 5.1 that causes the issue.

mike3231
2 hours ago, schn0052 said:

Just side loaded the app as well, I have the same issue @Luke. When i play the video with DTS:X / 7.1 the app has a pop up that says audio not supported and the server dosnt try to transcode the audio file which results in no sound. When the file is direct played the video glitches do not occur. It’s only when it remuxes the file to DD 5.1 that causes the issue.

That popup is probably from your TV rather than the shield or emby mobile app. To get around this on the shield you need to go to shield audio settings and uncheck auto detect supported audio and check the supported ones. If your TV is like mine (LG OLED 2020 onwards) then no DTS is supported so just uncheck those and check the rest. I think LG did have some DTS but have now dropped it :(You'll then get the audio on the Emby android (mobile) app but it'll be DD2.0 like me I imagine, but worth trying incase yours is different. 

schn0052
On 08/04/2022 at 18:39, mike3231 said:

@schn0052

schn0052

@mike3231, you were right, It was the TV, I disabled DTS on the shield but for some reason the Andriod Emby app downed it to DD 2.0 instead of DD 5.1.

@Luke, Thoughts on what I should try next?

I also noticed the Emby app is no longer on the App store. Is there a way I can download the apk for the Shield Emby App? Overall so far that app works better then the Android app I find.

16 minutes ago, schn0052 said:

@mike3231, you were right, It was the TV, I disabled DTS on the shield but for some reason the Andriod Emby app downed it to DD 2.0 instead of DD 5.1.

@Luke, Thoughts on what I should try next?

I also noticed the Emby app is no longer on the App store. Is there a way I can download the apk for the Shield Emby App? Overall so far that app works better then the Android app I find.

Both of our android apps can be found on the download page of our website, in the apps section:

https://emby.media/download

We are working on getting them back into the store and will provide an update when this happens.

schn0052
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Both of our android apps can be found on the download page of our website, in the apps section:

https://emby.media/download

We are working on getting them back into the store and will provide an update when this happens.

Thanks Luke,  Any thoughts on next step for troubleshooting our video issue?

On 4/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, schn0052 said:

What version number did you sideload?

mike3231
3 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number did you sideload?

@Luke Emby for Android TV - v2.0.70g

Emby for Android - v3.2.44

As mentioned the Emby for Android app doesn't include the "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital" option, it only appears on Emby for Android TV.