Add a external service to transcode files on the fly.

CyberPoison

CyberPoison

Hi people, thanks for @Luke for this awesome great software,

I would like to recommend and ask for a feature wish is just something that would be awesome to have and share my point to others, well i think not everyone knows what is https://dolby.io is, well its a service founded by Dolby Labs wish delivers an api to transcode on the fly (I Realy recommend the Emby staff "Devs and etc.." to test it) it transcode to all kind of format and software to compatible endpoints (Clients) ex. H265 to H264, ts to mp4 etc,etc. The issue I'm confronting is than my emby don't transcode live tv flux so not able to run on browser and i think, it will be nice to have a opportunity to enjoy all kind of content from all codec formats etc, without external gpu or etc.. 

So a plugin or an build in feature to add api so those api can transcode on the fly instead of using own server cpu / gpu if have once, those features will be awesome. 

Hopping Emby will be back soon on Google Play store 😉

Edited by CyberPoison

Hi, it's a neat idea but the cost of that would add up. I don't see that as something we'd be able to include in Emby Premiere. Assuming you bear all of the costs for your own usage, wouldn't it be cheaper just to upgrade your server? Because you not only need to pay their costs, but you need adequate upload bandwidth to be able to stream to their cloud transcoding api on the fly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

CyberPoison

Hi @Lukededicated GPU on hosted servers is quite expensive and many times it runs out of stock, this is why it will be nice to have some how to add the dolby.io api to allow us transcode in the fly.

As additional cost.