Emby switches back to Live TV when pressing remote play/pause button

titleos

titleos

After streaming Live TV, if one starts streaming a "regular" piece of media without closing and reopening the app first, pressing play/pause on the Roku remote will cause the Emby app to restart streaming the Live TV channel rather than pausing the existing regular stream. It is required to press up on the remote then manually select the UI pause/play button to workaround this. Restarting the Emby app seems to clear its "association" with Live TV and the remote's physical pause/play button will pause/play a regular stream if Live TV hasn't been touched during that instance. If this is a known issue, is an ETA on a fix known? It's rather annoying because of muscle memory from basically every other streaming app. 

Using a Roku Ultra 2020 or 2021, official remote.  

16 hours ago, titleos said:

After streaming Live TV, if one starts streaming a "regular" piece of media without closing and reopening the app first

Hi.  Exactly how did you go from Live TV to the "regular" media playback?

JackBowman

This was happening to me on a regular basis for quite awhile. I reported it a few months ago. It resolved itself suddenly and I could not capture log files to do a follow-up. I have not had issues since, but this is however the exact behavior I was experiencing.  

• Agree 1

titleos
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly how did you go from Live TV to the "regular" media playback?

Upon reproducing the issue, it seems to only occur after viewing Live TV for an extended period. I was only able to replicate it after watching a full movie rather than a quick 30 second tune to a channel. Anyways to answer your question, I pressed the back arrow button on my remote twice to return to the main menu of Emby, then selected an item from my continue watching with the arrows and OK button. After a while, I attempted to pause the show with my remote's play/pause button and was booted back to the Live TV channel I had been watching.

Okay, thanks for the detailed steps.  This is, indeed, a very strange one...

• 2 weeks later...
titleos

An update to this issue, I just had it happen without ever having tuned to a live TV channel, instead just simply having the Guide open during this instance of the app. Upon pressing play to pause my non-live tv stream, I was taken to the last channel I had highlighted in the guide, but never actually tuned to. When Emby does this shift, it also does not update the continue watching section, however it does correctly still save the stopping point/progress of the episode or movie. Hopefully that helps track down the issue a bit more.

18 hours ago, titleos said:

instead just simply having the Guide open during this instance of the app.

Is there any way you may be able to remember the exact sequence of steps that you did?

Based on your description, I think i know what must be happening and, I think, just due to other changes, it will probably be addressed in the next update.

Thanks.

titleos

I don't remember exactly sorry, but I believe I simply opened the app, navigated to the Guide, either highlighted a show on the first (1) channel, or Emby did it automatically, then I backed out after changing my mind using the remote's back button until I reached the main menu, then selected a continue watching item, eventually pressed the physical pause/play button, and yeah. Do you have an ETA on the next update? Just so I'm aware when I get it because Roku doesn't notify for channel updates, and can then let you know if the issue is resolved.

• 1 month later...
PuffyToesToo

Just chiming in to report that this has happened to me as well as my bf's server. 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:58 AM, PuffyToesToo said:

Just chiming in to report that this has happened to me as well as my bf's server. 

HI, please try the latest update to the Emby Roku app that has gone out and let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Thanks 1