I seem to be fighting with emby

Astrocat
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Astrocat

Hi,

My main TV in the house was a samsung tizen 2013 model, it turned out to be too much work with emby with the USB sideloading every month (no i cannot change it to be in USA zone as have NZ apps). I went and purchased a new television and stayed away from Samsung and got a Sony which is an android television. 

Now none of my AVI files will play, and I have many in my libraries. 🥵

justinrh

Some more info would help.  Get an error msg, it just never starts, or what?  Is the server transcoding?

Astrocat

Hi,

It seems that the AVI MP4 files need transcoded before the android TV will play them, whereas the samsung TV did not need any transcoding. 

I have transcoding turned off, as my Synology NAS is 9 years old.

So I will need to turn on transcoding after upgrading to a newer NAS, or convert all the AVI files to straight H.264 MP4's.

Do I have any other options ?

DonMacaroni

@Astrocat AVI is an container, so is MP4.
Can you post Mediainfo output of some of those files, so we could get the glimpse about the actual streams in these and codecs used?

I myself own Android TV (Philips one, but Philips uses same Mediatek chipsets as Sony) and I have not encountered any issues with AVI or MP4 files so far.

Not via Emby, not via built-in player.

Edited by DonMacaroni

Edrock200

Could also be audio transcoding? Not sure if emby transcode disablement disables audio transcoding as well, but try checking your android TV's audio settings. See if surround, passthrough, etc. options are enabled.

• Solution
On 4/2/2022 at 5:34 PM, Astrocat said:

Hi,

It seems that the AVI MP4 files need transcoded before the android TV will play them, whereas the samsung TV did not need any transcoding. 

I have transcoding turned off, as my Synology NAS is 9 years old.

So I will need to turn on transcoding after upgrading to a newer NAS, or convert all the AVI files to straight H.264 MP4's.

Do I have any other options ?

@Astrocat please try side loading our standard Android app on the same device:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

It supports direct play of avi. Thanks.

Seger
On 4/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, Luke said:

@Astrocat Bitte versuchen Sie, unsere Standard-Android-App seitlich auf dasselbe Gerät zu laden:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Es unterstützt die direkte Wiedergabe von AVI. Vielen Dank.

@Lukas 

Hello Luke,

can you explain the "problem" and the solution a little? Since the latest Android version, I also have the problem that I can't play .avi files. The app has just been updated to AndroidTv 2.0.70a (automatically). Do I have to intervene sideways now or will you push a hotfix? Furthermore, it would be great if you could explain why you have to intervene laterally at all and, if it is necessary, which version (arm7 / x86) and whether the automatic update still works afterwards.

I am currently using several FireTV Sticks 4K Max.

Thanks 
Seger

Edited by Seger

Seger
On 4/2/2022 at 11:56 PM, DonMacaroni said:

@Astrocat AVI ist ein Container, ebenso MP4.
Können Sie die Mediainfo-Ausgabe einiger dieser Dateien posten, damit wir einen Einblick in die tatsächlichen Streams in diesen und verwendeten Codecs bekommen können?

Ich selbst besitze Android TV (Philips One, aber Philips verwendet dieselben Mediatek-Chipsätze wie Sony) und habe bisher keine Probleme mit AVI- oder MP4-Dateien festgestellt.

Nicht über Emby, nicht über den eingebauten Player.

Allgemein
CompleteName                     : C:\Users\Seger85\Desktop\Revenge - S01E01 - Vergeltung.avi
Format/String                    : AVI
Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
FileSize/String                  : 349 MiB
Duration/String                  : 41 min 13s
OverallBitRate_Mode/String       : variabel
OverallBitRate/String            : 1 185 kb/s

Video
ID/String                        : 0
Format/String                    : MPEG-4 Visual
Format_Profile                   : Advanced Simple@L5
Format_Settings                  : BVOP1
Format_Settings_BVOP/String      : 1
Format_Settings_QPel/String      : Nein
Format_Settings_GMC/String       :  Keine warppoints
Format_Settings_Matrix/String    : Default (H.263)
CodecID                          : XVID
CodecID/Hint                     : XviD
Duration/String                  : 41 min 13s
BitRate/String                   : 1 035 kb/s
Width/String                     : 624 Pixel
Height/String                    : 352 Pixel
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
FrameRate/String                 : 25,000 FPS
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling/String         : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits
ScanType/String                  : progressiv
Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.188
StreamSize/String                : 305 MiB (87%)
Encoded_Library/String           : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID/String                        : 1
Format/String                    : MPEG Audio
Format_Version                   : Version 1
Format_Profile                   : Layer 3
Format_Settings                  : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
CodecID                          : 55
CodecID/Hint                     : MP3
Duration/String                  : 41 min 12s
BitRate_Mode/String              : variabel
BitRate/String                   : 137 kb/s
BitRate_Nominal/String           : 144 kb/s
Channel(s)/String                : 2 Kanäle
SamplingRate/String              : 48,0 kHz
FrameRate/String                 : 41,667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy
StreamSize/String                : 40,4 MiB (12%)
Alignment/String                 : Ausgerichtet an Interleaves
Interleave_Duration/String       : 24  ms (0,60 Video-Frame)
Interleave_Preload/String        : 144  ms
Title                            : German
Encoded_Library/String           : LAME3.99r
Encoded_Library_Settings         : -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 17.5 --abr 144

@DonMacaroni Example

Edited by Seger

14 minutes ago, Seger said:

@Lukas 

Hello Luke,

can you explain the "problem" and the solution a little? Since the latest Android version, I also have the problem that I can't play .avi files. The app has just been updated to AndroidTv 2.0.70a (automatically). Do I have to intervene sideways now or will you push a hotfix? Furthermore, it would be great if you could explain why you have to intervene laterally at all and, if it is necessary, which version (arm7 / x86) and whether the automatic update still works afterwards.

Thanks 
Seger

Our standard Android app has a few improvements to the video player that the TV app hasn't gotten yet.

Seger

@Luke OK, will it be long before the app gets it? Otherwise I'd have to update it manually on 8 devices. And will the automatic update still work afterwards? Why don't the apps run synchronised, are there disadvantages of the other app?

I have just installed the app again via the APK, which is then a separate one and the old one is not overwritten..., is it?

Edited by Seger

16 hours ago, Seger said:

@Lukas 

Hello Luke,

Thanks 
Seger

Hi.  Have you disabled transcoding on your server?

Seger

@ebr Yes, I have turned off transcoding on the DS2415+ server because it can't do it either. 

Edited by Seger

On 4/10/2022 at 2:56 AM, Seger said:

@ebr Yes, I have turned off transcoding on the DS2415+ server because it can't do it either. 

Ok thanks for the info. The good news is the TV app will ultimately get the same updates .

• 3 weeks later...
Seger

Hey all,

here it fits better ...

@Lukas@ebr

I'm still waiting for the update analog to AndroidTV 2.0.70g for the FireTV Stick. My FireTV sticks all still have AndroidTv 2.0.70a which contains a serious bug (it wasn't like this before), no AVI files can be played for quite some time. Is this somehow lost or have I just misunderstood something here? Cross loading is out of the question with so many users/clients.

Thank you for a short orientation!

Many greetings
Seger

FrostByte
41 minutes ago, Seger said:

Hey all,

here it fits better ...

@Lukas@ebr

I'm still waiting for the update analog to AndroidTV 2.0.70g for the FireTV Stick. My FireTV sticks all still have AndroidTv 2.0.70a which contains a serious bug (it wasn't like this before), no AVI files can be played for quite some time. Is this somehow lost or have I just misunderstood something here? Cross loading is out of the question with so many users/clients.

Thank you for a short orientation!

Many greetings
Seger

2.0.70a = Amazon store

2.0.70g = Google store

They should be the same except compiled for their specific store

Seger
23 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

2.0.70a = Amazon-Shop

2.0.70g = Google-Shop

Sie sollten identisch sein, außer dass sie für ihren spezifischen Shop kompiliert wurden

You're right, I thought there was a difference: Both are the same and have had this AVI playback error for some time.

Seger

Hey, I can't just cross-load a version on 10 clients that aren't locally accessible. Will they push a hotfix? Everything was working before the update. Or did they suggest that because they can't reproduce it?

Thank you and best regards
Seger

12 minutes ago, Seger said:

Hey, I can't just cross-load a version on 10 clients that aren't locally accessible. Will they push a hotfix? Everything was working before the update. Or did they suggest that because they can't reproduce it?

Thank you and best regards
Seger

Can you try it on one device and let us know how that compares? That will help us determine what needs to be done. Thanks.

Hi.  We already know what this issue is I believe.  The Android TV app currently needs to swap containers for AVI files but you have disabled transcoding on your server so it cannot do that.  Therefore, it is not able to play AVI files on your server.

Seger

Exactly, but it has always been like this, because the server cannot transcode either. In the past, it also worked with the deactivated status. Can you give us a time horizon when the bug will be fixed. My users/clients are no longer able to watch movies via Emby, the percentage is especially present with old content.

Thanks for caring and best regards
Seger