App doesn't recognize when transcoding is needed for TS files

MBSki

MBSki

When attempting to skip forward on a recorded TS video I often have to switch the quality to 720p 4 MB, because the app isn't correctly recognizing that it needs to transcode instead of trying to direct play. I've tried other settings, but 720p at 4 MB seems to always work. If I don't switch the quality, I can't skip forward. It'll either stay at the same point it's at, or jump back to the beginning when trying to skip. I've seen this on both the Shield and Xbox.

@Luke Can you please fix this so it automatically recognizes the highest quality possible that will allowing skipping? The way the app currently functions, I'm losing quality because it can't seem to transcode at a high quality and skip. 

There is no correlation between quality and being able to skip or not skip, so there's no detection there. The only thing we could do is offer an option to just transcode all .ts files, but that's not something we can do by default because many won't like it.

• Like 1

MBSki
54 minutes ago, Luke said:

There is no correlation between quality and being able to skip or not skip, so there's no detection there. The only thing we could do is offer an option to just transcode all .ts files, but that's not something we can do by default because many won't like it.

Agree with this point, "offer an option to just transcode all .ts files". That's exactly what the Android TV app does and I can set it once and forget about it which is a great solution.

justinrh
5 hours ago, mbarylski said:

That's exactly what the Android TV app does

I'm not clear on your situation.  My Shields don't force transcoding.  I can FF/skip on my TS files (generated from recorded TV shows).  I know on my system, transcoding would prevent FF because my server is weak.

I'd think you'd want direct play, but it sounds like you are forcing transcoding so you can skip.  Sounds opposite of my experience.

MBSki
5 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I'm not clear on your situation.  My Shields don't force transcoding.  I can FF/skip on my TS files (generated from recorded TV shows).  I know on my system, transcoding would prevent FF because my server is weak.

I'd think you'd want direct play, but it sounds like you are forcing transcoding so you can skip.  Sounds opposite of my experience.

That's why Luke said it would need to be an option like in the Android TV app, because ts files work for some users but not others. I have no idea why, but I'm unfortunately one of the users that ts files DON'T work for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MBSki

Sure, I can, but it doesn't work for any recorded ts file. Can't you just use any recorded file you have and test it? I won't be ae to get to it for a few days.

MBSki
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, it works just fine for mine. Thanks.

Ok, I'll send a few files in a few days. Can you send me the file that you're using?

And what client do you test on? I'm mainly using an Xbox One X. Have you tested on an Xbox one?

And when you test you're trying to skip forward and back right?

MBSki
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Android because I thought that's what this was about.

In my original post I mentioned the Shield and Xbox, so it happens on both, but I use Xbox more. I'll grab some files and try to find videos that don't work on both.

Let's focus on android. The xbox uses the windows player which is limited, but that's going to be replaced by an ffmpeg-based player in our new app. So for that we'll defer this issue until then.

MBSki

@Luke I've posted 2 ts files that aren't auto transcoding. Can you please let me know if you found anything?

MBSki

@Luke Can you please provide an update? This issue is more important to get fixed now that Intro Skip is in place. The skip doesn't work if the video doesn't transcode when necessary. Can you please respond?

MBSki

@cayars Can you ping @Luke about this? I sent sample files 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything. I'm sure there's something big coming, but at least a response if this is being worked would be appreciated. 

MBSki
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's being looked at.

Excellent, thank you for the update.

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Jarkkoooo said:

Another example of a thread being the reason why I am not going to buy emby premiere.

"Being looked at" and that's it?

Agree. And I started this thread 6 months ago. The fix is simply to allow disabling of direct play for ts files, but it's still not implemented.

@Luke Hasn't it been long enough? Can you please just add the option to disable direct play of ts files? You may eventually figure out how to determine when to transcode ts files, but we shouldn't have to wait while you figure it out. Please just add the option.