Emby Android TV app not available in Google Play Store

Jägs
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

dvesely
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Update:  They have lifted the suspension but are forcing us to resubmit for review.  No idea how long the review period will be but we will let you know.

Thanks.

I installed via sideload on Friday via the instructions and links on this page,  but the version I got here is an expired trial from day one.

Nothing will play, it just takes me to a "but Emby" page when I try to play anything. How can I fix this while I wait for the official version to re-appear in the Google Play store?

Thanks!

CBers
29 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Suspension? WTF?

Have you been off-planet recently 😀

• Haha 4

FrostByte
37 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Suspension? WTF?

Click on the solution to find out what happened.

• Thanks 1

Cadkey

Could the beta version still evolve and be shared on this forum as before? Two months without evolution, it is an eternity on Android.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Cadkey said:

Could the beta version still evolve and be shared on this forum as before? Two months without evolution, it is an eternity on Android.

What do you mean?  The latest beta is now stable and is shared in the same location as it always has been.  It's the same apk as the link on the webpage

Cadkey
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

What do you mean?  The latest beta is now stable and is shared in the same location as it always has been.  It's the same apk as the link on the webpage

that I know. I wonder why the Android TV beta version available in apk here has not evolved for two months. there is no skip intro for example. I thought scrolling in libraries would be improved, it's much faster in Android version. fast forwarding in a video is also faster and smoother in the Android version. I think there are some points to recover from the Android version to make the Android TV version a very good application.

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, Cadkey said:

that I know. I wonder why the Android TV beta version available in apk here has not evolved for two months. there is no skip intro for example. I thought scrolling in libraries would be improved, it's much faster in Android version. fast forwarding in a video is also faster and smoother in the Android version. I think there are some points to recover from the Android version to make the Android TV version a very good application.

Oh, ebr mention he was waiting for the issue with Google to be resolved first.  Hopefully soon.

• Like 1

Cadkey

Ok. But since the Google problem drags on. It's a shame to waste two, maybe three months on the Android TV beta versions. There we end up with a frozen android tv version and an Android version that is not suitable for use on a TV. However, 99% of us must want to watch our films on our TV.

11 hours ago, Cadkey said:

there is no skip intro for example

That is a hidden feature in the beta server. It shouldn't be expected to be fully implemented anywhere at this point.

I thought scrolling in libraries would be improved, it's much faster in Android version

Most of the feedback we have had is that scrolling is much smoother in the TV app than the standard one so we'd need to see exactly what you mean here.

fast forwarding in a video is also faster and smoother in the Android version. I think there are some points to recover from the Android version

9 hours ago, Cadkey said:

an Android version that is not suitable for use on a TV

I'm a bit confused by you saying that the TV version needs to "catch up" from the standard version but that the standard version is "not suitable"...

Cadkey

@ebr
I use an Nvidia shield to watch on my tv.
I made all the comparisons, with the same server, same box shield and same tv, same video and same library, of course.
Concerning the fluidity, it is the speed at which one traverses a complete library of media from top to bottom, for example 'movies'.
The movement is much faster with the android version compared to the Android Tv version. There is no doubt, it is enough to have done it once.
My server is on a synology with the database on an NVMe volume. The difference in speed is due to the different processing of emby android and android Tv applications. On this operation, Android Tv is slower.
Also in a video, fast forwarding and rewinding are faster and smoother in the Android version compared to the android TV version. Again, do the test, it's obvious.
These are the two points that are to the advantage of the android version and that the android TV version must catch up.
And I maintain that the android version is not suitable for use on a TV, the interface is not suitable, nor is the display of the 'full screen' menus. To change user account either.
It is also obvious.
Reread the posts, I'm not the only one to write it.
I am very surprised that you seem to deny and do not want to understand what I have described, however it is a proven fact and shared by all users who have been able to compare the two versions on a tv.

And there remains a common point to all the versions which has not evolved and which is not correct, it is the translation system which is not adapted to all languages. Many languages assign the adjective to the noun in masculine/feminine gender. Your translation system is only intended for English speakers, this grammar agreement does not exist.
for a French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and other user, the translation is never correct the way you designed it.

CBers
2 minutes ago, Cadkey said:

I use an Nvidia shield to watch on my tv.
I made all the comparisons, with the same server, same box shield and same tv, same video and same library, of course.
Concerning the fluidity, it is the speed at which one traverses a complete library of media from top to bottom, for example 'movies'.
The movement is much faster with the android version compared to the Android Tv version. There is no doubt, it is enough to have done it once.
My server is on a synology with the database on an NVMe volume. The difference in speed is due to the different processing of emby android and android Tv applications. On this operation, Android Tv is slower.
Also in a video, fast forwarding and rewinding are faster and smoother in the Android version compared to the android TV version. Again, do the test, it's obvious.
These are the two points that are to the advantage of the android version and that the android TV version must catch up.
And I maintain that the android version is not suitable for use on a TV, the interface is not suitable, nor is the display of the 'full screen' menus. To change user account either.
It is also obvious.
Reread the posts, I'm not the only one to write it.
I am very surprised that you seem to deny and do not want to understand what I have described, however it is a proven fact and shared by all users who have been able to compare the two versions on a tv.

@Cadkey You may want to have a read through the following post, as there are a lot of people stating that the Android app is NOT as good as the Android TV app in many ways.

There are a few things where the Android app is better, as it has had options added (gapless music playback, more upto date version of ExoPlayer) that the Android TV app hasn't had, but please read the following thread.

Cadkey
58 minutes ago, CBers said:

You may want to have a read through the following post, as there are a lot of people stating that the Android app is NOT as good as the Android TV app in many ways.

did I say the opposite?
I say there are at least two points that I have identified where the android app is faster than the android Tv version.
For the rest, I also say that the android tv version is suitable for using a tv and a remote control, which the android version is not.

Sammy
15 minutes ago, Cadkey said:

did I say the opposite?
I say there are at least two points that I have identified where the android app is faster than the android Tv version.
For the rest, I also say that the android tv version is suitable for using a tv and a remote control, which the android version is not.

Nevertheless, absence from the PlayStore does not impede development. One can always download and sideload the latest beta when released. As a matter of fact back in the day sideloading was the only way to install the app and we all survived.

Cadkey
36 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Nevertheless, absence from the PlayStore does not impede development. One can always download and sideload the latest beta when released. As a matter of fact back in the day sideloading was the only way to install the app and we all survived.

What about my posts?

FrostByte
34 minutes ago, Sammy said:

It doesn't really impede development, but there are several beta testers who don't even know how to sideload and refuse to try.  This also gives ebr time to work on other projects, like the recent Roku beta.  I use both apps and so far this all hasn't stopped me from watching anything.

• Like 3

Sammy
21 hours ago, Cadkey said:

I believe focus is actually on Skip Intro right now. The current AndroidTV app is quite functional as is. Change for the sake of change is a pointless endeavor. Of course a new version will come out soon but with the limited resources it will take time and this has nothing whatsoever to do with the state of the app availability in the playstore. I agree with you on the comments about the AndroidTV Version vs the Android Version. The Emby Dev's are working towards bringing these two apps into one app and have stated it several times.

Sammy
5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

It doesn't really impede development, but there are several beta testers who don't even know how to sideload and refuse to try.  This also gives ebr time to work on other projects, like the recent Roku beta.  I use both apps and so far this all hasn't stopped me from watching anything.

This is a sad state of affairs. With an app such as ES File Explore or File Commander one doesn't even need a USB stick or physical access to the device; one does need to be able to access the device via a remote and to download the apk on a computer on the same network though.

• Agree 1

It should be back up any day now and this will all be over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Luke said:

It should be back up any day now and this will all be over.

and this will all be over......    Until the next ass-hat tries something or Jellyfin, Plex, or whoever think the only way they can get ahead it to hurt us.

Audiomixer
7 hours ago, FrostByte said:

And here i thought side loading was THE way to install the betas when it came to Emby…

• Like 1

FrostByte
11 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

And here i thought side loading was THE way to install the betas when it came to Emby…

I should write a tutorial using smb on the Shield.  I think when people see how easy it is to just drag-n-drop an apk they will wonder why they never did it earlier.

Audiomixer
25 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I should write a tutorial using smb on the Shield.  I think when people see how easy it is to just drag-n-drop an apk they will wonder why they never did it earlier.

Yeah, i can install apks that i put on my nas to the shield. Typically i just use a thumb drive.

Edited by Audiomixer

FrostByte
1 minute ago, Audiomixer said:

Yeah, i can install apks that i put on my nas to the shield. Typically i just use a thumb drive.

True.  If you have multiple Shields pulling it from a shared folder is probably better than pushing it to multiple Shields

• Like 1

crusher11

The only time I sideloaded an app on my Shield it was impossible to access it. Didn't show up with my other apps. I could run it from the "app successfully installed" screen and that was it.

Sammy
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

The only time I sideloaded an app on my Shield it was impossible to access it. Didn't show up with my other apps. I could run it from the "app successfully installed" screen and that was it.

Was it an app specifically written for AndroidTV or was it forked from another app? I've experienced what your saying but not with Emby.