Emby Android TV app not available in Google Play Store

Jägs
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

DonMacaroni
5 hours ago, Marc0 said:

Is there a way to get the app on the TV without Play store? (I have a Philips 480LED806/12 AndroidTv)

There is, this is how I did it for my new Philips 55OLED706/12, requires Android phone though.

1. Install Send files to TV - Apps on Google Play into your TV and Android Phone
  2. Download Emby APK from here: Emby for Android TV - Emby (into your Phone)
  3. Send Emby APK from your phone to your TV, via Send files to TV app.
  4. Choose open APK on your TV from Send files to TV app and you will see prompt to "allow installation from untrusted sources".
  5. Allow Send files to TV as an source and install Emby APK.
  6. (Optional) Download Total Commander APK, from developer website: Total Commander - Android (ghisler.com) (direct link to universal APK) into your phone
  7. (Optional) Send Total Commander APK from your phone to your TV via Send files to TV app.
  8. (Optional) Choose open TC APK, you just sent on your TV, from Send files to TV app and install Total Commander
  9. (Optional) Feel free to install/copy/delete whatever you wish, from now on via Total Commander from various storage devices.
  10. (optional) You can uninstall Send files to TV from your devices, you no longer need it after you have installed Total Commander.

I basically Installed Total Commander + LAN plugin for Total Commander via Send files to TV app,
uninstalled Send files to TV app (as I no longer need it) and sideloaded all other APK's from my NAS SMB share via Total Commander.

Downside is, that you do need somesort of an Android phone, to get going.
I used my old backup phone for that, switched to iPhones 4 years ago.

Edited by DonMacaroni
  • Thanks 1

Edrock200
6 minutes ago, herki said:

Does anyone know if I sideload the apk - can I then "unlock app" one time payment?

I don't think so. But in a previous post someone linked to the official GitHub apks which are supposedly unlocked.

SonjaMichelleLT

My Wife just got a new Moto Ace phone. She told me the other night Emby was off the store when she went to install it to cast to our Vizio. (And why no Vizio Emby, btw??).

I'll send her a link to this forum.

Odd situation indeed.

10 hours ago, Edrock200 said:

I don't think so. But in a previous post someone linked to the official GitHub apks which are supposedly unlocked.

No, these are not "unlocked".  However, for the TV app, I have just reset everyone's trial period so it will behave as if unlocked for the next week.

• Like 1

Edrock200
2 hours ago, ebr said:

No, these are not "unlocked".  However, for the TV app, I have just reset everyone's trial period so it will behave as if unlocked for the next week.

That's what I thought but someone in an earlier post said the git apks we're unlocked, which I found surprising. Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, Toxicedge said:

Any timeline of when the app will be available in the play store again?

Hi, we are working on it and will let you know as soon as it is back up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Marc0
On 4/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, DonMacaroni said:

There is, this is how I did it for my new Philips 55OLED706/12, requires Android phone though.

1. Install Send files to TV - Apps on Google Play into your TV and Android Phone
  2. Download Emby APK from here: Emby for Android TV - Emby (into your Phone)
  3. Send Emby APK from your phone to your TV, via Send files to TV app.
  4. Choose open APK on your TV from Send files to TV app and you will see prompt to "allow installation from untrusted sources".
  5. Allow Send files to TV as an source and install Emby APK.
  6. (Optional) Download Total Commander APK, from developer website: Total Commander - Android (ghisler.com) (direct link to universal APK) into your phone
  7. (Optional) Send Total Commander APK from your phone to your TV via Send files to TV app.
  8. (Optional) Choose open TC APK, you just sent on your TV, from Send files to TV app and install Total Commander
  9. (Optional) Feel free to install/copy/delete whatever you wish, from now on via Total Commander from various storage devices.
  10. (optional) You can uninstall Send files to TV from your devices, you no longer need it after you have installed Total Commander.

I basically Installed Total Commander + LAN plugin for Total Commander via Send files to TV app,
uninstalled Send files to TV app (as I no longer need it) and sideloaded all other APK's from my NAS SMB share via Total Commander.

Downside is, that you do need somesort of an Android phone, to get going.
I used my old backup phone for that, switched to iPhones 4 years ago.

Thanks Don for your elaborate guide!! Will have a go on this.... TY!

Richard Branches

I don't see the app either in both, my phone and Android TV since a few days back.

3 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

I don't see the app either in both, my phone and Android TV since a few days back.

We are working on getting the app restored and will update you when the situation is resolved. Thanks.

CyberPoison

@Lukecan we know the reason why google removed the app? Can you tell us in details why the app has been removed / retracted? 

• Like 1

mike2k20

This is incredibly frustrating, especially when you're trying to get Sony to investigate the Bravia issue of flashing horizontal lines at the bottom of streaming videos (which totally plagues Bravia users) with certain resolution heights.....and the app isn't even in the google play store.

lepopps

Alguma Novidade Sobre o App que Sumiu do google play ? Em TVs estou tendo problemas para instalar manualmente ....

jeffshead
On 4/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, CyberPoison said:

@Lukecan we know the reason why google removed the app? Can you tell us in details why the app has been removed / retracted? 

I'd also like to know the reason. I'm surprised no one else has asked and I find it odd that none of the mods have offered any info on the subject, in this thread. Not suggesting they are hiding anything but as a dev, I'd have posted info as soon as I knew the particulars.

Edrock200
1 hour ago, jeffshead said:

I'd also like to know the reason. I'm surprised no one else has asked and I find it odd that none of the mods have offered any info on the subject, in this thread. Not suggesting they are hiding anything but as a dev, I'd have posted info as soon as I knew the particulars.

I don't have any insider knowledge but I'm guessing they would have shared if they could. E.g. they probably have nda's and legal aspects they have to respect, and posting info may just cause the return of the app to the store to be further delayed if it's perceived as some sort of violation of the terms.

Does anyone have any ETA on when the app will return to Google Play ? 
I just purchased 3 new TVs all Android and I would hate to side load them.

Please advise

Thanks

Edysefer

Ola pessoal, sou cliente premium de voces e gostaria de saber oque houve com o app do emby para android que ficava na play story o mesmo nao se encontra mais informa o seguinte erro ao acessar o link pelo pc pra baixar  O URL solicitado não foi encontrado no servidor.    e pela play story do celular nem mostra mais o app.

Aguardo respostas!!!

CBers
13 hours ago, jeffshead said:

Moderators aren't privy to this sort of information.

FrostByte
7 hours ago, Edysefer said:

Ola pessoal, sou cliente premium de voces e gostaria de saber oque houve com o app do emby para android que ficava na play story o mesmo nao se encontra mais informa o seguinte erro ao acessar o link pelo pc pra baixar  O URL solicitado não foi encontrado no servidor.    e pela play story do celular nem mostra mais o app.

Aguardo respostas!!!

See Luke and ebr's responses above.  They are aware and will let us know when it's fixed.

Google Play Protect is Google's built-in malware protection for Android. It protects users against potentially harmful apps (PHAs), which may include apps that have been removed or suspended from Google Play.

Does anyone want to comment on this ?

CBers
24 minutes ago, vreis said:

Google Play Protect is Google's built-in malware protection for Android. It protects users against potentially harmful apps (PHAs), which may include apps that have been removed or suspended from Google Play.

Does anyone want to comment on this ?

We don't know why the Emby apps are no longer available in the Google Play Store, so none of that applies currently.

Eric and Luke may have decided to remove both apps until the combined app is available.

Only they can say.

"We don't know why the Emby apps are no longer available in the Google Play Store, so none of that applies currently."

Glad to hear that none of that applies. However, it would be good user support to notify the users of what's happening so speculation/rumors don't occur.

Specially, for Premiers folks like myself that paid for the app.

Being in the software business, communications is key!

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, CBers said:

We don't know why the Emby apps are no longer available in the Google Play Store, so none of that applies currently.

Eric and Luke may have decided to remove both apps until the combined app is available.

Only they can say.

Are you saying the rumor of ebr going over to JF isn't true? 😂

• Haha 2