No audio when playing transcoded files

AndyXH

• 2 weeks later...
SamES

So just confirming, Deep.Water.2022.1080p.mkv eac3 audio works fine if you DirectPlay, but not if you drop the bitrate to force transcoding?

If that's true, what doesn't make sense is that the audio track is just copied to the container, there is no conversion of the audio occurring.

AndyXH

Yup that is correct! Works fine on direct play is this not the only videos having the issue seems like all videos on transcode lose the audio I’m just testing it with deep water. And on version 4.6.0.7 it woks with no issues direct play and transcode. Should the audio be transcoded too  and no direct play ? 

SamES

No, audio will only be converted if it’s not supported by the tv, but we know it is as it direct plays. 

So transcoding works for this file with 4.6.0.7 (was that portable version?)

Did you post on ffmpeg log from 4.6.0.7 when it worked correctly with transcode?

SamES
12 minutes ago, SamES said:

No, audio will only be converted if it’s not supported by the tv, but we know it is as it direct plays. 

So transcoding works for this file with 4.6.0.7 (was that portable version?)

Did you post on ffmpeg log from 4.6.0.7 when it worked correctly with transcode?

I found the log for this in the earlier post.  The difference is that that it was converting the audio track to ac3

I suspect that would also work, but not sure why eac3 is not working

Happy2Play
31 minutes ago, SamES said:

I found the log for this in the earlier post.  The difference is that that it was converting the audio track to ac3

I suspect that would also work, but not sure why eac3 is not working

Don't know the variable but the 4.6.7.0 log converted to 720 4/5Mbps do lower limitations applied to audio.  So 640 audio has to be converted.

&VideoBitrate=3616000&AudioBitrate=384000
and
&VideoBitrate=4616001&AudioBitrate=384000

06:42:59.380 Stream mapping:
06:42:59.380   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> scale (graph 0)
06:42:59.380   scale (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)
06:42:59.380   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (eac3 (native) -> ac3 (native))

vs this 6Mbps setting in 4.7.0.40.

&VideoBitrate=5360001&AudioBitrate=640000

14:04:25.375 Stream mapping:
14:04:25.375   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264))
14:04:25.375   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

Not necessary a valid comparison, but still a overall issue with eac3 copy.

SamES

Yes, the maximum allowed bitrate for eac3 was increased, which is why it's no longer converting it to ac3

SamES
52 minutes ago, andreaxheli said:

@SamES Yes I did post the longs from 4.6 and I also sent the ti @Luke via PM. Do you have any thoughts on how to fix this ? 

No, not specifically.  My only question is why don't you want to let it DirectPlay?

This appears to be a problem with eac3 streamed via HLS (which is what happens when it transcodes) and we know that this delivery can cause other issues as well.  For example, TrueHD or DTS files with 4K HEVC require the audio to be converted and they also have issues with this delivery method.  There is something that we might be able to try in the next USB release, but I'm not hopeful that it would make much difference

In general, and if possible you should always let it DirectPlay, which often means selecting only supported audio and subtitle tracks (ie: not TrueHD, DTS or PGS subs) which helps to avoid all of these problems.

Why do you want/need to drop the bitrate on this file, or is that just to test this issue?  My solution would be to leave the bitrate at auto and let it DirectPlay

AndyXH

Yes I do ru it on direct play but the issue is when I’m remote and the bandwidth is set to Auto based on the internet is transcodes it and I lose the Audio so then I have to manually set the bandwidth from auto to something high25 mbps so it dose direct play but not all outside networks can support that speed so I some cases it has to transcode on the low bandwidth networks. Dose that make sense. When I’m at home and I play the movie and tv shows it’s on Auto but since I’m  internal it dose direct play and I don’t have an issue. 

Edited by andreaxheli

SamES
10 hours ago, andreaxheli said:

Yes I do ru it on direct play but the issue is when I’m remote and the bandwidth is set to Auto based on the internet is transcodes it and I lose the Audio so then I have to manually set the bandwidth from auto to something high25 mbps so it dose direct play but not all outside networks can support that speed so I some cases it has to transcode on the low bandwidth networks. Dose that make sense. When I’m at home and I play the movie and tv shows it’s on Auto but since I’m  internal it dose direct play and I don’t have an issue. 

Got it.  That makes sense.  

I can't reproduce it, which is what makes it hard to try and resolve.  There are a few things I'm thinking of here that might change in future client releases.  Let's see whether they help it.  At the moment, you're the only one experiencing this issue.

Can you try the latest portable version (4.7.0.60) to confirm it's not an issue with your server?

AndyXH

Thank you for the recommendation.Yup it’s working on the portable version. Do you have any ideas what it can be? Why it’s not working on the install Version? The portable is running on the same server. 

SamES

That's good news.

Can you please attach the ffmpeg log for this new test, and then repeat the same file on your current install and attach that ffmpeg log?

Then we can compare the differences.

• Like 1

AndyXH

Portable-Server-ffmpeg-transcode.txtInstalled-Server-ffmpeg-transcode.txt

Also i did notice on the Installed server is doing direct play on the audio while transcoding the video and on the portable its transcoding the audio while transcoding the video. Strange. 

I hope I don't have to reinstall and start from scratch. :( 

Edited by andreaxheli

FrostByte

4.7.0.60 builds are starting to go up now.  You can update as you wish