No audio when playing transcoded files

AndyXH

SamES
21 hours ago, andreaxheli said:

Portable-Server-ffmpeg-transcode.txt 51.57 kB · 0 downloads Installed-Server-ffmpeg-transcode.txt 45.58 kB · 0 downloads

Also i did notice on the Installed server is doing direct play on the audio while transcoding the video and on the portable its transcoding the audio while transcoding the video. Strange. 

I hope I don't have to reinstall and start from scratch. :( 

@Luke, in the two attached logs, why would the portable version and the installed version (both 4.7.0.60) be requesting different audio bitrates for transcoding?

Portable : VideoBitrate=5616001&AudioBitrate=384000

Installed : VideoBitrate=5360001&AudioBitrate=640000

It's due to different information about the audio stream:

image.thumb.png.3e1da7401942a8960ae5ff2f1037ea46.png

It requires a metadata refresh to update the data.
(please do on both versions)

• Like 1

AndyXH

Should I run a metadata refresh on that file on both versions and then okay the video on both version again? 

1 minute ago, andreaxheli said:

Should I run a metadata refresh on that file on both versions

Yes please. 

And if "okay" means "play" then yes as well 😉 

SamES

OK, but that's good.  I expected that to be the case.

@softworkz do you have any thoughts as to why the file in these logs will DirectPlay without problem, but when streamed (with the eac3 audio track being copied) audio no longer plays?  This problem apparently happens on all files with eac3 for this user.

My immediate thought is that the TV player doesn't support eac3 via hls (or at least not at that bitrate).  That would be somewhat surprising (and disappointing) if that is the case.  The same file plays fine on my older model Samsung TV.

20 minutes ago, andreaxheli said:

After a metadata refresh the audio stopped working on the portable version also 😭

No, that's good, because all the wrong media data I've seen from the portable version is now correct (I've been afraid it might be the other way round, that's why I had ask to refresh on both installations).

Please hold on, will round-up on this issue in a moment..

• Like 3

What's happening here is this:

• 4.6 did not detect the audio bitrate when probing => E-AC3 with empty bitrate in Emby library db
  • 4.7 detects it correctly as E-AC3 with 640 kbps

After receiving the media info, the client makes its request:

• 4.6 without bitrate (and maybe channel layout), the client requests a generic audio bitrate of 384 kbps
    => the server doesn't know the E-AC3 stream bitrate
    => the server decides to transcode audio to AC3
  • 4.7 the client sees the 640 kbps bitrate with E-AC3, thinks it can handle that and requests 640 for the audio bitrate
    => the server knows the actual bitrate, it matches the client request, the client has indicated to support E-AC3
    => the server decides to copy the audio stream and muxes it with the video

35 minutes ago, SamES said:

do you have any thoughts as to why the file in these logs will DirectPlay without problem, but when streamed (with the eac3 audio track being copied) audio no longer plays?  This problem apparently happens on all files with eac3 for this user

Unfortunately, there can be many reasons why it doesn't work:

1. The HLS implementation can't handle it
  2. The player doesn't support E-AC3 in an mpegts container 
    (unlikely - it's a TV and E-AC3 in mpegts is part of the standard)
  3. ffmpeg doesn't emit the mpeg E-AC3 descriptors (or not in a way that) the tv expects
  4. the tv doesn't like
    1. the delay between video and audio
    2. the generated time stamps
    3. the PCR PID selection
    4. something in the E-AC3 bitstream which is not part of (or not conforming to) the TV broadcast spec
  5. of maybe ffmpeg generates the ATSC-spec E-AC3 descriptors while the TV expects the DVB-spec variant (or vice versa)

We'll need to look at the player to find out..

Edited by softworkz

SamES

@andreaxheli, I think previously you also tested with this file that you gave me to test (The.100.S01E03.Earth.Kills.1080p.BluRay). Can you please try it again and upload a log, then softworks can compare if there are any differences between our two systems

SamES

Can you please also test playing this file with directplay (playback quality set to auto).  It is only very short, but please tell me if you get any audio

65E631_5.ts

AndyXH

@SamES No Audio on the test file that you gave me ffmpeg-transcode-a4a22eb6-eb3b-4926-9a2f-a5675b0f7264_1.txt

Its set to Auto but since im remote right now its not doing a direct play its transcoding but if i set the quility to 25 mbps it dose direct and audio is there 

image.png.bd6a2b26b70325231e1140df2e04f640.png

Working on the other files now  (The.100.S01E03.Earth.Kills.1080p.BluRay)

Edited by andreaxheli

Sorry for the confusion. We need to test two things:

FIRST

I need segment0.ts (when transcoding) from both of you to so I can compare them

SECOND

We need to test your file (remuxed to MPEGTS) amd then played via DirectPlay

AndyXH

Do you want file files from C:\EmbyTemp\transcoding-temp\XXXXX of the segment0.ts Sorry little confused. 

Edited by andreaxheli

Delete everything in  C:\EmbyTemp\transcoding-temp

When you start playback, a folder will be created

Navigate to that folder and copy xxxx0.ts (and maybe 1 and 2).

Please send me those ts files (+ ffmpeg log)

Thanks