Trouble switching between local and remote sever addresses

C.S.

Hi, sorry i don't know if this is just a Android TV thing, or if other clients are affected, but I'm having trouble getting the Emby client on my dad's Mi Box to automatically connect to the local server address when a route is available.

I set up a site to site VPN between his house and the server; everything works great; I can manually enter the local address and it connects just fine. If I take the box to a third location (where there's no route to the local server address) Emby connects through the remote SSL address just like it's supposed to. But then when I take it back to his place, Emby still wants to use the SSL address. I have to manually enter the local address, or else it won't connect that way.

Is it possible the Emby client is going for the SSL address because it sees the fact that it's not on the same subnet as the server?

Hi.  Looks like you navigated around and played an item before sending the log which, unfortunately, scrolled the important information at startup out of it.  I wanted to see if the initial connection attempt was made locally or remotely.

I can see that you are connected to a domain name so - remote address.

30 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Ok. Two new logs sent: 3:30 and 3:33, the latter being after I switched over to the local address manually.

Both of those logs are connecting to the same domain name using https.  Of course, to use https, you need to be connecting via a domain name...

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Ok but do the logs show it attempting the local address and failing to get a response?

No.

Exactly how did you do this?

41 minutes ago, C.S. said:

after I switched over to the local address manually

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Exactly how did you do this?

I went to the user menu -> switch server -> enter manually.

Let me start at the beginning so we can see where I'm screwing up; I just sent (5:15) a log created with the following procedure:

1. Stopped Emby client.

2. Cleared data.

3. Uninstalled Emby client.

4. Restarted Mi Box.

5. Installed Emby client.

6. Connected using local address. (This is from my dad's place which has a VPN routed path to the server's local subnet.)

7. Logged in and enabled debug option.

8. Exited and restarted Emby.

9. Sent log.

10. Confirmed the client is connecting by local address by viewing pfsense traffic graphs. Incoming traffic on the WAN matches traffic on the VPN.

I will now attempt a connection from a third location which has no route to the server's local subnet.

Success! Emby connected immediately. I sent that log at 5:45. I played something to confirm no traffic on the VPN. This client has now successfully connected by local address and remote SSL without ever needing me to input the remote domain. That's awesome. I love that.

I will go back to his place and see what happens, but can you confirm what I've said so far? The 5:15 log should show the local address, no https. The 5:45 log should show https. If not, I am at a loss.

Ok now I've tested it again from his place, and as expected it is connecting through the remote SSL domain. I sent that log at 6:39pm. Confirmed no traffic on the VPN.

Okay, I think the app is testing the last successful address first instead of always trying the local one first.

The standard app may handle this better since it was designed to be moved from network to network.

Can you try side loading our standard Android app on the same device and let us know how that compares? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try side loading our standard Android app on the same device and let us know how that compares? Thanks.

I will, but that device is leaving town for a while. I'll try it sometime in the next month.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

FInally got around to trying the standard android app, and while it does do a good job of connecting to the local server address, the app (tried all display modes) seems to have trouble on the Mi Box (long press is needed to select, menu won't go back to the top after going down a couple rows, audio starts playing before video, etc). So I went back to the ATV client.

Fingers crossed for a fix.🤞

On 4/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, C.S. said:

FInally got around to trying the standard android app, and while it does do a good job of connecting to the local server address, the app (tried all display modes) seems to have trouble on the Mi Box (long press is needed to select, menu won't go back to the top after going down a couple rows, audio starts playing before video, etc). So I went back to the ATV client.

Fingers crossed for a fix.🤞

Why do you think long press is needed to select?

On the main menu it doesn't respond at all with a normal press when I try to select something. Long press works to bring up the menu where I can select Play (normal press works on that menu), and then the audio starts a second or two before the video. I tried changing to TV mode, but the menu turned out to be just a bunch of images (posters maybe?) all jammed together. I think this box just can't run the standard app. Maybe it's better with a shield? I don't have a shield to test, unfortunately.

Is there any chance we could just get the ATV app to try the local address first every time?

Or perhaps an option under startup settings like:

Use last known good host address ✅
(uncheck to always try local address first)

Something like that, but better.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, C.S. said:

On the main menu it doesn't respond at all with a normal press when I try to select something. Long press works to bring up the menu where I can select Play (normal press works on that menu), and then the audio starts a second or two before the video. I tried changing to TV mode, but the menu turned out to be just a bunch of images (posters maybe?) all jammed together. I think this box just can't run the standard app. Maybe it's better with a shield? I don't have a shield to test, unfortunately.

Is there any chance we could just get the ATV app to try the local address first every time?

Can you try restarting the standard app after enabling TV display mode?

15 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try restarting the standard app after enabling TV display mode?

OK I did that, and at first it was the same story, but then I found the "TV mode home screen" setting and set that to vertical instead of horizontal. That did the trick. You might consider putting that on the same page as the "Display mode" setting. (Or just get rid of the horizontal option, since I can't imagine anyone ever wanting that.)

And now I'm in a tough spot. I really want this to be the fix, because it does fix the problem I had, but I have to say the interface for the standard app, at least as it runs on this Mi Box, feels like a somewhat significant step backward from ATV. I could list all the stuff I don't like, but I know I'd come off as an utterly impossible to please complainer, which of course I am.
I'll just say if you do end up merging the TV and standard apps, I hope the look and feel of ATV wins out. That and the ability to pause/unpause playback with one click - that is key.

But anyway thanks for your help. I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting the TV app to try the local address first, but I hope that's one function where the standard app wins in the merger.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, Luke said:

Why does it feel like a step backward?

There are few things easier to do in the dark than grab a remote like this and find the big doughnut hole. And while that sounds extremely dirty, it could be literally the simplest task in the world.

iw75ji3q2d4.jpg.36327ba40a8827cdac46856d5344f2da.jpg

When I was... umm... a Blechs user, I always thought about how it would be so nice if I could just hit this big center button once to pause and once again to unpause, instead of needing to bring up the menu, find the pause button, hit the pause button... So you can imagine my joy when I switched to Emby and discovered that's exactly how it works (for ATV). So I'm spoiled now. I don't want to go back.

That's number one. Number two would definitely be the lack of resume-rewind. I love resume-rewind. It's one of the best never-knew-I-needed-it settings ever. Five seconds is perfect. Spoiled again!

Other issues:

- The look is not quite as nice. Something about the text. Maybe the font is too big and bold, but whatever the differences are, I like this less.

- No card style. I dig card style. Black theme + no backdrop + card style = How I like it. I could see how some might find it boring, but I think it's sleek.

- The rating shows up in the upper left corner at the start of a video. I don't see an option to disable that.

- The scrolling smoothness of the interface changes for the worse when leaving the main menu to view an item. The main menu is extremely smooth, while the item pages act like they are running at a lower frame rate. The difference is stark. (I'd say it could be a crappy hardware thing, but the point is it's not a problem with ATV.)

- Skipping to the next track in a playlist is now a multi-click process, so that's another loss-of-single-click-action type of bummer.

- And the audio starts a moment or two before video. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

Give me time I'll come up with more gripes. None of these are absolute deal breakers, but all together it's kind of a lot to accept as a workaround.

*Just a quick note: I'm glad there are people working on the world's problems, because I for sure do not.

When I was... umm... a Blechs user, I always thought about how it would be so nice if I could just hit this big center button once to pause and once again to unpause, instead of needing to bring up the menu, find the pause button, hit the pause button... So you can imagine my joy when I switched to Emby and discovered that's exactly how it works (for ATV). So I'm spoiled now. I don't want to go back.

OK I'll add that.

• Thanks 1