Would this be ok to run my server on ?

Mookdog

Mookdog

Hi guys

I been running my server on my desktop for a little over a year now with no problems at all. I just recently was given a laptop and I tried installing the server on the laptop. All went well and I could connect to it remotely. But the server took quite a bit of time to load the sections and also my nephew who connects from a different state had problems with transcoding and buffering when I switched to the laptop. Here are the specs of the laptop

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-17-bs000-laptop-pc/15551424/document/c05825222

to me it seems like it should run it no problem but something is making it bottleneck. I switched back to my desktop for the time being.

Thanks

Mook

Scott D

Going to jump in with a few things I did.

To start, I am running an older PC i3-4130 that was laying around as my server.  I have several family members that remote in (sometimes several at once).  I have set my upload bandwidth limit to 3 Mbps due to bandwidth caps imposed by Cox Communications.

Your processor should be able to handle a single stream without much issue if I can handle 4 or 5 with no complaints.  Almost everything that is streamed from here is transcoded due to the bandwidth cap.

The first thing I did to create a smooth experience was I added an SSD drive for the transcoding temp file.  Second thing (and this helped a bunch) was I excluded the transcoding temp file from any virus scanning.  If you have (as I did), active/real time monitoring of files, it will suck up huge amounts of CPU utilization.

The next thing is to use hardware acceleration is available.  And lastly, turned on throttling. 

Open up the Task Manager and watch for anything that is utilizing CPU, Hard Drive or network bandwidth.  Then, look for reasons those processes may be so high.

Good luck.

Mookdog
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it has a slow hard drive, but otherwise looks capable.

Yeah the laptop was given to me I was bummed to find out it had such a crap hard drive. I will use the laptop for various things until I can get ahold of an SSD and have it installed (I am not installing myself knowing me I would break the sucker). Thanks for all your help

Mook

Q-Droid

You could experiment with an external USB3 SSD enclosure. Also use wired ethernet since the WiFi on that laptop is 1x1 b/g/n and pretty slow.

KegTapper

I am running an HP with basically the same specs. I through an SSD in it and use wired ethernet. It works quite well. I typically have 3 or 4 streams transcoding at once

Mookdog
11 hours ago, KegTapper said:

I am running an HP with basically the same specs. I through an SSD in it and use wired ethernet. It works quite well. I typically have 3 or 4 streams transcoding at once

Yeah thats what I am gonna do. I never run wireless on anything. Friends call me crazy but hell I like my stuff hardwired (Guess I am old school)

Thanks for all the info from each poster

Mook