Transcoding DVDs is that normal behaviour?

CalypsoCowboy

CalypsoCowboy

I'm just getting started with MediaBrowser, OpenElec and XBMB3C and had a question.

I've noticed in OpenElec, when I play a .iso or .mkv, the file plays on my OpenElec box (Chromebox), it plays fine and uses very little if any CPU on my server. It is showing the stream as Direct Play.

It seems like when I play a DVD, stored in a VIDEO_TS structures, I've only played with a few, it transcodes the movie on the server and sends it to the OpenElec box. It does show as Transcoding.

From what I understand the OpenElec should be able to play the DVD natively and not transcode it. Is that the case or will MediaBrowser always transcode the DVD or am I missing a setting somewhere.

Part of the reason I ask is my server is currently a lowly Core 2 Duo that only scores 1000 on the Passmark, so transcoding maxes out my server.

Still learning about all this.

-Josh

xnappo

Definitely sounds like something is wrong.

If you are sure you are using UNC paths for the path to the movies (ie \\machine\drive\movies not e:\movies') then please change the log level to '1' in the AddOn advanced settings and post a log.

Log files can be found here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Advanced#Location

xnappo

CalypsoCowboy

Okay, I'm still working on the xbmc log, I don't think I got the correct one, but here are the server and transcoding log off the server from the event.  

I found the xbmc logs, but for some reason the date and times seem off and not sure I have the correct ones. 

-Josh

shortserverlog.txt

transcodinglog.txt

xnappo

Okay, easy.  Just go to:

Settings->Network and change 'Video Quality' to '1000.0 Mbps HD'.

This isn't very well named... It is used both to determine the transcoding rate AND to specify your network's capability.

@@im85288 ....

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

im85288

Okay, easy.  Just go to:

Settings->Network and change 'Video Quality' to '1000.0 Mbps HD'.

This isn't very well named... It is used both to determine the transcoding rate AND to specify your network's capability.

@@im85288 ....

xnappo

@@xnappo - I would say the two go hand in hand really, I took the naming from @@Luke suggestion of how it's done in other clients. If your saying your network/video quality can handle say 5mbps then surely that implies transcoding will be 5mbps and therefore your network can handle 5mbps? Would you suggest an alternative name?

xnappo

Network speed maybe? Still, is something wrong with the x1000 math in the code? A DVD doesn't have a bitrate over 9.8mbps...

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

CalypsoCowboy

This info is in the xbmc.log file posted, 

.","Path":"\\\\cascade\\TempMovies\\Batman Begins (2005)","OfficialRating":"PG-13","Overview":"Driven by tragedy, billionaire Bruce Wayne dedicates his life to uncovering and defeating the corruption that plagues his home, Gotham City.  Unable to work within the system, he instead creates a new identity, a symbol of fear for the criminal underworld - The Batman.","Genres":["Action","Adventure"],"CommunityRating":8.3,"VoteCount":699721,"RunTimeTicks":83928000000,"PlayAccess":"Full","ProductionYear":2005,"IsPlaceHolder":false,"IsHD":false,"IsFolder":false,"Type":"Movie","LocalTrailerCount":0,"UserData":{"PlayedPercentage":0,"PlaybackPositionTicks":0,"PlayCount":8,"IsFavorite":false,"LastPlayedDate":"2014-09-23T04:23:19.3856161Z","Played":false,"Key":"272"},"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"mpeg2video","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":5919600,"BitDepth":8,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Height":480,"Width":720,"AverageFrameRate":29.91667,"RealFrameRate":59.94006,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"4:3","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":8,"IsAnamorphic":false},

It shows the rate as 5919600.

Before it was set to 100, now it's 1000. But I interpretted the value as if the bit rate was over 100M it would transcode which seems correct which is why I thought it was odd the DVD was doing it and not the blurays.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. MBS is 3.0.5366.22005, XBMB3C is 0.9.543

-Josh