New User: How to set default subtitles for foreign content?

Hawkwinter
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Hawkwinter

Preamble:
So, I've been a longtime Plex user since before Emby existed, but I've been getting increasingly frustrated with their "improvements" breaking things and find myself checking out the competition.

First question:
Is there a way for me to enable default subtitles for all of my Chinese Wuxia (Kung Fu) TV Shows and Movies without enabling subtitles for all my English media? Say, a setting on a per-library or per-show basis? If yes, where would I find that?

Turning it on for each episode (or changing a user-wide default every time I launch the app) would be an irritatingly tedious set of repetitive steps I would love to skip if possible.

Hello Hawkwinter,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

First question:
Is there a way for me to enable default subtitles for all of my Chinese Wuxia (Kung Fu) TV Shows and Movies without enabling subtitles for all my English media? Say, a setting on a per-library or per-show basis? If yes, where would I find that?

224543321_Screenshot2022-03-21133316.thumb.png.814cf767a0e2ee603698915142f1b5bc.png

1437013489_Screenshot2022-03-21133439.thumb.png.e5f68183fc157be627be75ceaa2433e5.png

• Like 2

Hawkwinter

Ooh. I'll have to try that out. Hopefully it works well with my collection. Thank you

Edited by Hawkwinter
  • Thanks 1

Hawkwinter

Thanks Luke!

So far it appears to be doing a pretty impressive job of figuring out whether to use the subtitles or not. The first snag I encountered using Emby was resolved pretty quickly, I just needed someone to point me in the direction of the setting I needed.

It seems to be doing a pretty good job of importing the folders from my existing Plex server so far. And it doesn't seem to be choking on playback for H265 files like Plex does. So far, I'm pretty impressed.

Looks like bulk tag-modifications aren't as easy at the moment, and there's no "Latest Added (All Libraries) option for the home screen that I can find" (A Feature I liked that Plex has also gotten rid of in the past couple years) - but it seems that you guys have either already caught up to Plex in the personal library features department, or soon will - and is better at that job in a couple of ways too. Emby is a pretty impressive piece of software from what I've seen so far. It kindof reminds me of Plex from before they ruined it with all the streaming crap they keep pushing. So, Kudos. I foresee myself gradually switching to Emby over the next while - just gotta migrate everything over - which, it seems like it will take a while, I can't find a good way to *export* all my my overwritten Plex metadata (from several years of content) to NFO files (like overwritten custom "release date" values across hundreds of episodes of stuff... yippee), so it looks like I'll have to do a whole lot of copy paste over time.

Unrelated newbie followup questions:
1. Next I need to figure out how to recreate my smart playlist with all my Marvel episodes and films in chronological order jumping back and forth between everything (I'll have to fix the metadata dates, but I'll do that after I have the basic smart playlist working) - looks like I'll need to install a plugin for that, but I'm sure I can figure that out...

Speaking of, do you know: Is there a somewhat convenient way to include movies in such a smart-playlist built in to Emby (or said plugin), or will I need to use a workaround like I did in plex, and make a "Marvel Cinematic Films" dummy show, and manually enter all the metadata?

2. Is there a separate standard metadata editor people use here, for when you want to fix the tags / whatever of your whole library, as quickly as possible?

Thanks.

• Solution
Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

2. Is there a separate standard metadata editor people use here, for when you want to fix the tags / whatever of your whole library, as quickly as possible?

There is a tool created but a user here that may do what you need.

20 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

1. Next I need to figure out how to recreate my smart playlist with all my Marvel episodes and films in chronological order jumping back and forth between everything (I'll have to fix the metadata dates, but I'll do that after I have the basic smart playlist working) - looks like I'll need to install a plugin for that, but I'm sure I can figure that out...

Speaking of, do you know: Is there a somewhat convenient way to include movies in such a smart-playlist built in to Emby (or said plugin), or will I need to use a workaround like I did in plex, and make a "Marvel Cinematic Films" dummy show, and manually enter all the metadata?

This may help up may help but is still limited as SmartPlaylists needs to make it into server core for what most users want.

• Like 1

Hawkwinter

Thanks! I'll try those in the next couple days. Since the first library import went okay, I've started a big import of my other libraries.

It sounds like smart playlists will likely be the feature I will miss the most. I did really like having smart playlists that combined multiple shows / movies into a single chronological playlist, and I also liked having rerun-shuffle smart playlists that could give me the least-recently-watched 50 watched-episodes of a search on shuffle, and exclude any video that played in the past 7 days. Good for times when you don't want to watch something super-specific but want the TV to run in the background for a few hours (while you're working on something else, for the pets while you're at work, etc). (shows / movies from a collection; with these tags / genres; this show with a ton of episodes - etc). If the plugin can't handle those sorts of things, hopefully something that can do a good job replacing plex' smart playlists is in the works at some point in the future - especially if it goes the step further that Plex never allowed, and let you make a smart playlist span multiple libraries - that would be great.

I'll see what the plugin can do then - but it sounds like that may be the main thing I miss from the Plex side - but then, after an update - Emby not having devices suddenly decide "I can't play that codec anymore on this client" or "your server is no longer allowed to do transcodes, its specs aren't high enough anymore" or suddenly blanking my preferences, etc - will be a worthy tradeoff. If Plex would work without problems and I could just run the 2017 version of the server and players without hassle - maybe I wouldn't be looking to make the effort to spend more money replace it - but its gotten worse and worse, progressively, over the past 5 years - so here I am - and while it looks like it isn't quite perfect, it looks like Emby just might be gradually shaping up to be what I always wished Plex was.