Media Browser and Xbox One Media Player Preview

Lee2010

As part of the Developer Preview for Xbox One I now have the Media Player App that can browse DLNA on my network!

Below is a video of me testing it out.

• Like 7

This is fantastic. I'd like to really hammer this out so please suggest areas for improvement. For instance i can already see i'd like some of those default images to instead by dynamic based on content.

another thing i've been thinking of with dlna is turning movies into a folder so that you can go in and select play movie, play trailer, play extras, etc. although that's not Xbox-one specific but i think it would look nice here.

• Like 1

This is fantastic. I'd like to really hammer this out so please suggest areas for improvement. For instance i can already see i'd like some of those default images to instead by dynamic based on content.

I think the biggest this is that the episode numbers need to be sent as well. It's kind of hard to pick up where I left off if I can't find the episode number.

• Like 1

Thanks. His video is actually quite attractive, and there are still some tricks we can do to make it seem like a legitimate app and not just a generic dlna interface. obviously our dedicated app will be the end game, but this is pretty nice in the meantime.

• Like 2

What images is the Xbox One pulling for folder images?? Is it pulling folder.jpgs??

Yes. I put all the metadata in the respective folders.

trooper11

This is an awesome development.  I'll spread it around as many Xbox One areas as I can.

I'm still eagerly awaiting a native app, but this is great substitute until then.  I may have to switch over to this method instead of using IE tiles to the MBS web client.  I love that voice control works throughout the experience, which already puts it ahead of my current method. 

As long as it supports my video file formats as well as in that video, that would seal the deal for me.  One big question is, can it handle dual audio/subtitles?  For me, that is a must.  Maybe someone can answer that for me.  Also, how well does that method support a remote control (I have a harmony remote)

I wish I was in the preview program to try out the dlna support myself. 

• 2 weeks later...
scanner50

FYI looks like Plex is about to release a native Xbox One app:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6918079/plex-launches-on-xbox

Makes me wish a native MB app was coming! And what is it with tech media always talking up Plex but you never hear of anyone mention MB, even in the forums of these articles? That's sad, I think MB is far superior.

swhitmore

FYI looks like Plex is about to release a native Xbox One app:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6918079/plex-launches-on-xbox

Makes me wish a native MB app was coming! And what is it with tech media always talking up Plex but you never hear of anyone mention MB, even in the forums of these articles? That's sad, I think MB is far superior.

Wow, that is some seriously good publicity. Congrats to them. It will be interesting to see how it performs.