Can't connect to Emby Remotely

pleasantcrew

pleasantcrew

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this realm of accessing my content via a media server.

Recently, I installed Emby (v 4.6.7.0) on a Mac Mini; my settings were restored from a previous setup via the Emby plugin "Server Configuration Backup v1.4.8.0". All devices are able to connect within my network, but Im having an extremely hard time accessing Emby remotely. 

I executed port forwarding (opened ports 8096 & 8920) on my Deco M9 via the app and tried to connect to Emby with mobile data only enabled, no luck; I keep receiving a "Connection Failure" pop-up. For good measure, I restarted my router and tried to connect again, but no dice. Note: The setting options for the Deco M9 seem somewhat limited, and I can only make changes via the app. The M9 is connected to my Verizon Fios modem (wifi features are disabled). Also, firewall is disabled on Mac Mini.

Im fairly tech-savvy, and as previously mentioned this is new territory. But, with your guidance, I believe we can rectify this issue, Emby Server log attached. 

Thanks in advance.

embyserver.txt

Edited by pleasantcrew

Hello pleasantcrew,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pleasantcrew
43 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Please check out the KB and follow the testing steps provided.

Emby Server Remote Setup : Emby

I followed the aforementioned directions, but no luck. Ports 8096 & 8920 can not be seen via canyouseeme.org; the listed IP matches Emby's Remote (WAN) access address on the dashboard.

As mentioned previously, the firewall is disabled on the Mac Mini. I dont believe there is any malware software running and no VPN is running.

I dont know how to check on a Mac if cgNAT is the culprit. 

Apologies, I realized this comment was posted in the wrong section. I resubmitted this issue in the MacOS Emby forum section. 

Tplink portforwarding.jpeg

Edited by pleasantcrew
Issue submitted in wrong forum section

pleasantcrew

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this realm of accessing my content via a media server.

Recently, I installed Emby (v 4.6.7.0) on a Mac Mini; my settings were restored from a previous setup via the Emby plugin "Server Configuration Backup v1.4.8.0". All devices are able to connect within my network, but Im having an extremely hard time accessing Emby remotely. 

I executed port forwarding (opened ports 8096 & 8920) on my Deco M9 via the app and tried to connect to Emby with mobile data only enabled, no luck; I keep receiving a "Connection Failure" pop-up. For good measure, I restarted my router and tried to connect again, but no dice. Note: The setting options for the Deco M9 seem somewhat limited, and I can only make changes via the app. The M9 is connected to my Verizon Fios modem (wifi features are disabled). Also, firewall is disabled on Mac Mini.

Ports 8096 & 8920 can not be seen via canyouseeme.org; the listed IP matches Emby's Remote (WAN) access address on the dashboard.

As mentioned previously, the firewall is disabled on the Mac Mini. I dont believe there is any malware software running and no VPN is running.

I dont know how to check on a Mac if cgNAT is the culprit. 

Im fairly tech-savvy, and as previously mentioned this is new territory. But, with your guidance, I believe we can rectify this issue, Emby Server log attached. 

Thanks in advance.

embyserver.txt

pleasantcrew

I'm currently  having the same issue, connecting to emby  remotely. I could definitely  use some assistance. 

pleasantcrew

I'm just following up on the issue above. Are there any other actions I can take on my end to resolve this issue?

@pleasantcrew can you please take a look at this topic?

The solution from that may help you as it was also related to cgnat. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, pleasantcrew said:

Tplink portforwarding.jpeg

What is that a picture of?  Is that from your router?
If so can you give us the make/model of the router?  That's a strange way to show port forwarding is why I ask.  Technically correct but unusual.

Can you get to Emby Server from other computers in the house?

I just took a look at your log and would suggest going into network setup (network menu from dashboard).  Scroll down and disable (unchecked) the setting to automatically port forward.  You don't want that on.  Try restarting the server after that.

pleasantcrew

I have a TP Link Deco M9 Plus (AC2200) mesh router. The M9 only allows me to make changes via my phone.

I disabled "Enable automatic port mapping" and restarted Emby...no luck. The CanYouSeeMe ip matches Emby's external ip, but it's not able to see port 8096 (port mapping for 8096 and 8902 are setup on my Deco M9 router). Also, I performed a trace route. Did you want me to DM you the details?

Im able to access Emby within my network.

Note: my router is connected to my G3100 Verizon Fios modem (wifi features are disabled. Im not able to put the modem/router into bridge mode). Also, firewall is disabled on Mac Mini. 

Edited by pleasantcrew

Happy2Play

Almost sounds like double nat but your trace route should confirm this.

Here's a partial clip from your traceroute. I redacted part of one line for security purposes but not important.
The line I redacted has your modem type and provider and is one of my ISPs I have with the same router, so I know it well.
image.png.eed80bea0939d6a40da56c0fad3193ca.png

Your first hop goes to x.x.68.1 which will be the router your attached to and you computers default gateway.
You second hop goes to another router in your house based on the fact it's still a 192.x address space. <-- This is your ISP router.

So with this setup you've created a double NAT which is more than likely your problem.
Do you need to have the device on 68.1 setup as a router? Can it be a switch or AP instead?

The way this is setup now require setting up double port forwards.  You would log into your ISP router and setup port forward from *:8096 -> 192.168.68.1:8096 tcp protocol
On 192.168.68.1 you would setup port forwarding again using *:8096 -> EmbyServerIP:8096 tcp protocol

* represents any or all IPs, example uses port 8096 but you would change them to 8920 if using secured ports with SSL and have a cert in place.

See if you can either eliminate the non-ISP router by changing it's mode or leaving it as is but doing the double forward.
If you can't get it working or need help, PM me and I can remote in and give you a hand.

Carlo

pleasantcrew

I will try to do the double port forwarding on the ISP router. If I turn my Tp link router into an AP, will I lose important router features?

1 hour ago, pleasantcrew said:

I will try to do the double port forwarding on the ISP router. If I turn my Tp link router into an AP, will I lose important router features?

Can't answer that as I don't know how it's setup.  I can give you this tip however.  There will be a setting someone to save the current configuration. Typically it will download to the computer your using to connect to it.  So backup the config and then try changing it's mode.  If you see you lost functionality that can't be duplicated with the ISP router then worse case use that backup config and do a restore on the TP Link and put it back the way it was, then try the double port forwarding.

BTW, before making a change on the ISP router, do the same thing and backup it's config.  You can keep these configs and even multiple versions (append the date to the name) on your PC or better yet a thumb drive so you always have them available should you need them. IE you goof up settings or the modem/router dies and get's replaced with the same model.

Never hurts to have them backed up.

If you get stuck and can't get this working with either method, send me a PM and I can try to help you via a remote support session.

Carlo

pleasantcrew

@cayarsI was able to setup port forwarding on my ISP (Verizon) router (see screen grab) but I dont have the option to select 192.168.68.1 from the prepopulated list of addresses on my TP Link router.

After adding the ports to my ISP's router, Im still not able to remote into Emby. Do I need to add my Emby "In-Home (LAN) access" to my ISP's port forwarding list?

1682008073_ScreenShot2022-03-23at4_34_08PM.thumb.png.27dcab4fc516fdf14b093809287719ac.png

Happy2Play

Look at TP Link WAN address it will be something besides .1 as that is the gateway on Verizion router.

So forward Verizon to TP Link WAN address.

Something like this if I got the order correct.

Verizon Gateway 192.168.1.1

TP Link Gateway 192.168.68.1

What is TP Link WAN? 192.168.1.x  (That is the address port forwarded on Verizon Router.

TP Link to Host should be self explanatory.  192.168.68.x 

Edited by Happy2Play

pleasantcrew
18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Look at TP Link WAN address it will be something besides .1 as that is the gateway on Verizion router.

So forward Verizon to TP Link WAN address.

@Happy2PlayThat solution worked, man! I was pulling my hair out for days. Im usually able to rectify issues like this after reading the forums, but I just couldn't figure it out this go around. @cayars@Luke thank you for your assistance, as well! 

Question...do you know if the TP Link WAN address is permanent? Do I have to worry about it automatically changing in the near future?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, pleasantcrew said:

Question...do you know if the TP Link WAN address is permanent? Do I have to worry about it automatically changing in the near future?

There is a chance with DHCP changing it on Restarts or power outages.  I would do address reservation on Verizon Router if possible or statically assigning it on TP Link.

Yes I should have mentioned the TP will have 2 addresses.  On on the LAN side 192.168.68.1 and a different IP on the WAN side which you can look up on the ISP router DHCP list or pick from on the port forwarding.

Glad @Happy2Play got you covered on that.

PS you can assign the TP router a reserved address so it doesn't change on the ISP router but as long as you selected it from the drop down list it shouldn't matter as it will track it based on the MAC address.

pleasantcrew

Got it. You are correct...I did choose the address  from the drop down menu. I'll keep an eye on it