Carplay - Downloads, Fast scrolling

andige

andige

Hi!

Emby in Carplay seems to work quite fine and I like the possibility to browse and play media from my home server.

However, I have two issues:

1. I am not able to browse my Downloads. Since phone reception is not always very reliable in my country I would prefer the option to play music locally stored on my phone. Using the iOS-app this is perfectly possible, but not in Carplay, I simply see no option 😞

2. When browsing through my (rather big) library (e.g. looking for artists & albums) instead of listening to playlists, there is no shortcut to scroll faster through the very long list. It takes me forever to go from A to Z. The app offers the A-Z bar on the right, but in Carplay I have to spin my control knob like a madman 🙂 . I see arrows on the right but they are not selectable. Maybe they could be used to offer some kind of fast scrolling (e.g. skip to the next initial letter A->B->C...)

Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

1. I am not able to browse my Downloads. Since phone reception is not always very reliable in my country I would prefer the option to play music locally stored on my phone. Using the iOS-app this is perfectly possible, but not in Carplay, I simply see no option https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/1f61e.png

Hi, this is not yet supported, but it's planned for the future. thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2. When browsing through my (rather big) library (e.g. looking for artists & albums) instead of listening to playlists, there is no shortcut to scroll faster through the very long list. It takes me forever to go from A to Z. The app offers the A-Z bar on the right, but in Carplay I have to spin my control knob like a madman https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/1f642.png . I see arrows on the right but they are not selectable. Maybe they could be used to offer some kind of fast scrolling (e.g. skip to the next initial letter A->B->C...)

Hi, yes that's a good point about large libraries. We'll have to look at what our options are here.

andige

Thanks for your quick reply.

I noticed something else - and imho quite important - while playing around with Carplay:

Selecting playlists or artist folders takes some time in Carplay - quite in contrast to using the Emby app directly on the phone, where everything seems to be loaded instantaneously. This has led me to investigate a bit. I checked the mobile data statistics on my phone and found the following:

- When using the Emby app on the phone, the downloaded data directly corresponds to the size of the played music-files. No surprises here 🙂

- When using Emby in Carplay, the amount of downloaded data is many times higher and corresponds to the total size of all (!) files within the selected folder or playlist. Even if I only played one single song. This causes not only the inconvenience of waiting until the whole folder/playlist has been loaded before the music starts to play but also eats up mobile data volume.

emby for iOS 2.1.2

server version 4.7.0.31beta

• Agree 1

chart100
6 hours ago, andige said:

Thanks for your quick reply.

I noticed something else - and imho quite important - while playing around with Carplay:

Selecting playlists or artist folders takes some time in Carplay - quite in contrast to using the Emby app directly on the phone, where everything seems to be loaded instantaneously. This has led me to investigate a bit. I checked the mobile data statistics on my phone and found the following:

- When using the Emby app on the phone, the downloaded data directly corresponds to the size of the played music-files. No surprises here 🙂

- When using Emby in Carplay, the amount of downloaded data is many times higher and corresponds to the total size of all (!) files within the selected folder or playlist. Even if I only played one single song. This causes not only the inconvenience of waiting until the whole folder/playlist has been loaded before the music starts to play but also eats up mobile data volume.

emby for iOS 2.1.2

server version 4.7.0.31beta

The issues seem related to mine as when scrolling through folders I would get massive delays or non responsive errors.

• 2 months later...
KristofG

i'm starting to see the same issues, now that my library has grown beyond a few albums, just to try it out.

i can only even play songs from (small) playlists, i can't even browse Artists or Albums anymore.

and another i noticed: my phone is getting crazy hot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 10:50 AM, KristofG said:

i'm starting to see the same issues, now that my library has grown beyond a few albums, just to try it out.

i can only even play songs from (small) playlists, i can't even browse Artists or Albums anymore.

and another i noticed: my phone is getting crazy hot!

Hi @KristofG why can't you browse artists or albums? What exactly happens when you try?

• 3 weeks later...
Kokosowy
On 3/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, Luke said:

Hi, this is not yet supported, but it's planned for the future. thanks.

This is quite a problem as this is rather must be feature, not a nice to have feature, because not everybody agree to broadcast Emby content over the Internet, some people allow only local network access for security reasons and this is why they buy Premiere - to make use of downloads/offline content. Without downloads not visible in a carplay Emby library, Emby is quite useless in car. You can still play songs using your mobile app, but this is dangerous while driving. We really hope this can be delivered sooner than later, thank you for that in advance.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:23 AM, Kokosowy said:

This is quite a problem as this is rather must be feature, not a nice to have feature, because not everybody agree to broadcast Emby content over the Internet, some people allow only local network access for security reasons and this is why they buy Premiere - to make use of downloads/offline content. Without downloads not visible in a carplay Emby library, Emby is quite useless in car. You can still play songs using your mobile app, but this is dangerous while driving. We really hope this can be delivered sooner than later, thank you for that in advance.

Hi, it's planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1