Buffering issue with the new app

Orionas21
Go to solution Solved by Orionas21,

Orionas21

I have faced buffering issues when the LG app has been updated to 1.0.33. 

I have tested it with wifi AC at 866, ethernet cable and even bought the USB 3.0 adapter with gigabit ethernet. 

I know that there is no issue with the server because when I stream it from my mobile it plays OK.

Also it is not the network because at the same TV when I stream it from the embedded DLNA app it plays it OK.

Also this kind of streams used to play without buffering issues in the previous version. 

20220318_204814.thumb.jpg.fcbd8744001c469f1a39c11552c8c1a9.jpg

I do not transcode the movie so i use the AC3, but i tested it with both audio formats just in case.

20220318_203838.thumb.jpg.170302c0c269605713b5f2db56b7629c.jpg

Can you assist please?

embyserver.txt

Edited by Orionas21
logs updated

Orionas21
Just now, SamES said:

Just curious, what happens if you select the TrueHD track?

The same. But I do not have any issues with the video as others have posted with either small boxes or even broken pictures. 

SamES
17 minutes ago, Orionas21 said:

The same. But I do not have any issues with the video as others have posted with either small boxes or even broken pictures. 

Can you show me that with stats on?

Orionas21

In addition to the above when the issue occurs you can observe in the below graph from my switch that the network traffic is dropping as if the app is not requesting any data. 

This is with the embedded ethernet card.

Screenshot_20220319-002759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.16a42a5c691b722cdf1af39d0248fb06.jpg

And this is with the USB 3 to gigabit adapter. 

Screenshot_20220319-003344_Chrome.thumb.jpg.63bae51b1cbab22745a649839e58a542.jpg

SamES

OK, thanks for confirming.

For the example in your first post, can you please attached the ffmpeg logs from the server?

Can you please check the webOS version for me?  You will need to go into about this TV.  Don't check the first version number you see, this is probably the firmware version, you need to go deeper into the menu to get the webOS version it will be 3.something (ie: 3.0, 3.5, 3.8)

Orionas21
30 minutes ago, SamES said:

Can you please check the webOS version for me?  You will need to go into about this TV.  Don't check the first version number you see, this is probably the firmware version, you need to go deeper into the menu to get the webOS version it will be 3.something (ie: 3.0, 3.5, 3.8)

This is easy. It is 3.4.0

The model is LG 65UH950V-ZA.

For the logs I need to check tomorrow. 

IamMrZ

Same problem here.

Hardwired.

I see my kids once a month, and this ruined movie night.

Again, actually. This keeps happening. I bought lifetime premiere. Emby has been a total disappointment. 

Fortunately the movie they wanted was on Netflix. 

SamES
5 minutes ago, IamMrZ said:

Same problem here.

Hardwired.

Again, actually. This keeps happening. I bought lifetime premiere. Emby has been a total disappointment. 

Sorry to hear about that.  Can you please check the webOS version for me?  You will need to go into about this TV.  Don't check the first version number you see, this is probably the firmware version, you need to go deeper into the menu to get the webOS version it will be 3.something (ie: 3.0, 3.5, 3.8)

SamES
On 19/03/2022 at 11:36, IamMrZ said:

Same problem here.

Hardwired.

Can you please go through a specific example with logs, etc? I suspect yours may be a different issue. 

SamES
On 19/03/2022 at 10:38, Orionas21 said:

This is easy. It is 3.4.0

The model is LG 65UH950V-ZA.

For the logs I need to check tomorrow. 

Thanks, that’s quite an old version. Can you check the software version, are you on the latest?

Latest should be 05.60.15

https://www.lg.com/za/support/software-firmware?csSalesCode=65UH950V.AFB

Orionas21

Always the latest! 

16477755425928543534432951347334.thumb.jpg.9cfb2cf569e076c74918870b562fb846.jpg

The 3.4.0 is reported from Apple TV app.

Also from the TV settings I see

3.4.0-6107

The TV is in auto update.

Maybe in Greece the web OS is not updated even if the fw updated to 5.60.15...

Unfortunately the ffmpeg logs have been overwritten.

Edited by Orionas21

SamES
4 minutes ago, Orionas21 said:

The 3.4.0 is reported from Apple TV app.

Also from the TV settings I see

3.4.0-6107

The TV is in auto update.

Thanks.  

SamES
23 hours ago, Orionas21 said:

Unfortunately the ffmpeg logs have been overwritten

I think the ffmpeg log will be important to understand what the problem is here.  Can you reproduce this problem and send a log?

Do you see this with other files, or just this one?

Orionas21
14 minutes ago, SamES said:

I think the ffmpeg log will be important to understand what the problem is here.  Can you reproduce this problem and send a log?

Do you see this with other files, or just this one?

With other files also. 

I will try again to reproduce it tonight and provide you the logs. 

Just to mention that before my initial test I reboot, the server, the switch and the TV in order to clear any cache! 

Do you want me also to open the debug in the server? 

SamES
4 minutes ago, Orionas21 said:

With other files also. 

I will try again to reproduce it tonight and provide you the logs. 

Just to mention that before my initial test I reboot, the server, the switch and the TV in order to clear any cache! 

Do you want me also to open the debug in the server? 

It won't hurt to do this.  It might give use some extra information, but the ffmpeg logs should show enough

Orionas21
7 hours ago, SamES said:

It won't hurt to do this.  It might give use some extra information, but the ffmpeg logs should show enough

Attached all the files

embyserver_with_debug.txt ffmpeg-directstream-7ace1c42-6aee-499a-82dd-079354c620b1_1_With_debug.txt ffmpeg-directstream-27c51bc1-3984-4d23-a7d2-852bc03d85de_1.txt embyserver_new.txt

I have also capture a video with the issue if you want me to upload it.

Edited by Orionas21

Orionas21

Additional Info.

After enabling the DLNA server into Emby app and tweak the LG profile as below, i managed to play all of them without any issue!

image.png.7e9000ed7fd4da885a6e721f62ff7d06.png

SamES

I can see what is happening.

In your webOS model (3.4.0) the TV does not support the ability to switch audio tracks within the player.  For this reason we need to switch to the AC3 track on the server instead of the client.  This is done by using the DirectStream method.  No conversion of the video or audio track is done, so it is not hard work for the server, but now the movie is delivered in fragments using an m3u8 playlist format. 

What we have found to be the case, both on LG and Samsung TV's, is that for high bitrate 4K files (typically HEVC) the TV cannot keep up with fetching the fragments and playing these files in a way to provide smooth playback.  This results in the constant buffering issue.  It's not something that can be fixed with a faster server or network, it's just a limitation of the processor in the TV being unable to maintain playback.

You mention that this worked on the previous app version.  Do you know whether this specific file worked on the previous app version, or was it just files 'like this one' that worked?

SamES

When you play via DLNA, which audio track is being played?  Did it generate any ffmpeg logs?

@Luke, can you see why this would be working fine via DLNA?  The transcode log shows that is DirectStreaming due to SecondayAudiotrack switching not been supported on this client.  However, DirectStreaming is causing the HEVC to buffer as we have seen before.

Orionas21
7 minutes ago, SamES said:

When you play via DLNA, which audio track is being played?  Did it generate any ffmpeg logs?

No it didn't produced any ffmpeg log.

The audio track was the default one as the TV is connected to the yamaha receiver via ARC and pass-through the core audio ( DTS or AC3) so the "transcoding"/streaping of additional info, is actually performed from the TV its self.

39 minutes ago, SamES said:

I can see what is happening.

In your webOS model (3.4.0) the TV does not support the ability to switch audio tracks within the player.  For this reason we need to switch to the AC3 track on the server instead of the client.  This is done by using the DirectStream method.  No conversion of the video or audio track is done, so it is not hard work for the server, but now the movie is delivered in fragments using an m3u8 playlist format. 

What we have found to be the case, both on LG and Samsung TV's, is that for high bitrate 4K files (typically HEVC) the TV cannot keep up with fetching the fragments and playing these files in a way to provide smooth playback.  This results in the constant buffering issue.  It's not something that can be fixed with a faster server or network, it's just a limitation of the processor in the TV being unable to maintain playback.

You mention that this worked on the previous app version.  Do you know whether this specific file worked on the previous app version, or was it just files 'like this one' that worked?

I can not understand this. Sorry.

As you can see in the 1st screen i chose from the client the AC3 audio and the stats indicate to both video and audio the (direct) and AC3, which means that no transcoding took place. So either the stats are misleading or something is not correct in the server.

If indeed this is the case then how can i select this then from the server in order to avoid the m3u8.

image.png.c8d2bc19cd66624db923c12bcc6ed41d.png

Also the bitrate is not that high, as from the DLNA app i managed to play HEVC at 50+ bitrate without any issue.

Unfortunately the same file wasn't available in the previous version. Similar files with the same video and audio bitrate or even higher, were played fine.

What i also can not understand is why the heck from the DLNA either of Emby o Native app everything is working ok...

The DLNA of Emby gives me also the downloaded subtitles correctly, but not any audio selections, as the above DLNA profile settings are locked to DTS/AC3

While the Native DLNA gives me the selection of audio codecs, but i need to rename the subtitles (remove the language indication .el.srt) in order to play correctly.

SamES

I can not understand this. Sorry.

As you can see in the 1st screen i chose from the client the AC3 audio and the stats indicate to both video and audio the (direct) and AC3, which means that no transcoding took place. So either the stats are misleading or something is not correct in the server.

If indeed this is the case then how can i select this then from the server in order to avoid the m3u8.

When a file has multiple audio tracks, if the client supports it, we just tell the client which audio track to play and it switches to the correct track.

If it does not support switching audio tracks, then on the server we package the original video and only the selected audio track (without any conversion) as an m3u8 stream.  This gives the appearance to the client that there is only a single audio track, so it does not need to perform any track switching.  That is why in your image it shows that both tracks are play direct, but they have just been repackaged.

The audio track was the default one as the TV is connected to the yamaha receiver via ARC and pass-through the core audio ( DTS or AC3) so the "transcoding"/streaping of additional info, is actually performed from the TV its self.

I'm not 100% sure, but when trying to play an unsupported track (ie: TrueHD) the internal LG player will internally switch to the next track,  AC3 in your case.  It's possible this was occurring via DLNA.

Can I suggest trying the next version of the app when it is released?  Just having a look at it, there are some small changes to the detection of secondary audio track support that might fix this if you believe it used to work previously.

Unfortunately webOS 3.x versions are a bit odd.  There have been versions 3.0, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8 and 3.9.  There have been a few capability changes between them, one of which is the ability to support secondary audio track selection.  My TV came with 3.5, and has gone through 3.8 and now 3.9.  I know that originally it could not do secondary track selection, but either version 3.8 or 3.9 (I'm not sure which) enabled the feature.  The problem is that is very hard to test all the versions.  

Edited by SamES