4K; Dolby Vision; Gapless Playback; Direct File Access

AlsoBrian

AlsoBrian

Wanted to report a handful of things in the latest firmware (9.0.1, I think) using a 2019 Shield TV Pro. 

Server is Windows 10, i7-2600K (8 cores; 3.4Ghz), media on SSD, connected to router by 1Gb port with 1000 Mbps Cat 5E cable. 

Router is Eero Pro 6 node.  The server sees an internet download and upload speed in the 250Mbps range.  

Shield TV Pro is connected to another Eero Pro 6 node that has internet speed (both up and down) in the 200Mbps range.  The nodes are the two closest to each other.  I have also tried connecting the Shield TV Pro to the same router as the server using a powerline adapter, but I got worse speed/performance.

TV is a B9 LG OLED that supports Dolby Vision.

I am seeing the following playback problems:

4K Dolby Vision (mkv of UHD bluray rip)-->TV recognizes Dolby Vision but video playback is jerky (audio is fine); after about a minute, I get a direct play error and the stream type changes from HTTP to HLS; in HLS, bitrate is reduced from ~70Mbps to 60Mbps, audio is transcoded, video is direct play (but now HDR, not Dolby Vision).  Note, I can direct play the same file on Plex with Dolby Vision and no playback issues. I can stream a Movies Anywhere version also in 4k with Dolby Vision, but I see the same jerky playback as Emby.  DLNA playback from Emby produces a problem-free 4K stream, but the Dolby Vision information is gone. Using the TV app, I get direct play without Dolby Vision, but it buffers frequently.  It's possible that HTTP streaming is what's causing the bottleneck in my particular system. 

Other 4K-->using HTTP streaming and direct play, I see frequent buffering of any 4K content.  Using external players, they claim the issue is read speed.  Again, I can do 4K play on Plex without issues, and Emby DLNA plays 4K content without issues (but loses Dolby Vision somehow).

Direct File Access--> I can only set direct file access for external players (I would really appreciate the ability to do it for the Exoplayer in Emby), which I think I have set up properly (mounted the shared folder and used the optional path).  Emby recognizes the media and sends it to the external player, but once there, it buffers for a long time right at the outset and then appears to fail over to HTTP streaming or HLS b/c I get the playback issues I usually get there.  (I haven't been able to confirm).

Gapless Playback-->I can get gapless audio playback from Plex and Spotify.  However, in Emby I usually have a tiny gap between tracks.  This is true of both FLAC and MP3.  I have confirmed there is no transcoding going on.

Just a note, the 4K and Dolby Vision issues have made me dust off Plex b/c the playback seems to be fixed there.  I have to say, going back to it, I remember exactly why I chose Emby over Plex in the first place.  A big part of the reason is how much more polite and helpful the tech supports folks are at Emby and how the UX also reflects respect for the customer.  I had to go read the Plex developer stuff on Reddit, and I think it sent my blood pressure up 20 points.  I know tech support can be a pretty unpleasant job, but thank you for taking the time to read and provide helpful and thoughtful feedback every single time.  I don't think I'm the only person who picked Emby because of the superior support experience.

Anyhow, wanted to flag these issues.  Would appreciate any info on what's getting worked on or what you think I could fix anything on my end.  Let me know if you want logs, and I'll try to reproduce everything.

Hi.  I'm afraid we've lost direct file access with the Shield firmware update to Android 11.  That should not be critical, however.

As for your other issues, if you sideload this app, how does it compare?

• Like 1

rbjtech

Have these issues only occurred since the 'upgrade' to SE9 on the Shield ? ie Did everything work just fine on the previous Shield Experience 8 using DFA (Direct File Access / SMB) ?

Edited by rbjtech

AlsoBrian

@ebr - let me figure that out and report back

@rbjtech - I never had the SE8 installed.  I just got the Shield as maybe the 10th thing I've tried to get my system to do seamless playback with 4K and/or Dolby Vision (been ruling out each component in the chain one at a time and just got to the client).

Edited by AlsoBrian

rbjtech
1 hour ago, AlsoBrian said:

@rbjtech - I never had the SE8 installed.  I just got the Shield as maybe the 10th thing I've tried to get my system to do seamless playback with 4K and/or Dolby Vision (been ruling out each component in the chain one at a time and just got to the client).

ok - so the Shield Pro even with SE9/HTTP is perfectly capable of full 4K remux Dolby Vision playback - I have one myself with an LG C7.

Unfortunately SE9 means you have lost the ability to do Direct File Playback (SMB Shares mounted on the Shield) - there is a long thread on this in this sub forum, but in summary, Android now needs 'permissions' for this and Emby have made the decision to not provide them. 

HTTP 'should' work (and did for the very brief time I was forced to use it) but then I reverted back to SE8/DFA as I wanted to keep using a known configuration which has played everything I have thrown at it for the last 2-3 years without a problem or hitch.

While it should not be your wireless (especially with Wifi 6 and it working perfectly well via DLNA/Plex) to eliminate it being 'network' - is there anyway you can cable the Shield into the server using 1Gig Ethernet ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

AlsoBrian

@rbjtech -- I really appreciate it.  I need to move the server physically to do that, but I can do it.  Let me see if sideloading the updated app works first.  Trying to do one thing at a time so that I know when I hit the actual problem.  I suppose it could be my quite old chipset, too, but I'm putting that off.

Also, I actually don't have IPv6 enabled yet, but I can see if that makes a difference.  I just hadn't got around to researching what it might break (specifically things on my work computer).

• Like 1

Nuitarius

I have a thread about Dolby Vision issues too. As I do not allow transcoding, my playback just crashes

i will be watching this thread to see if my issue and this could be the same

Edited by Nuitarius

rbjtech

@AlsoBrian It would be interesting if the latest beta above solved your issues - they very much sounded like bandwidth issues (which is where I was going with this), but maybe not .. ?

AlsoBrian

@rbjtechI have not had the chance yet.  Work is a little nutty, but I intend to do it this weekend and will definitely report back to the thread.

• Thanks 1

AlsoBrian

The latest beta runs Dolby Vision smoothly, and it plays perfectly gapless audio.  It does not fix my problem with HDR and Dolby Vision streams buffering, but it does now show them as paused when that happens. 

Next step is to move the PC to where I can make a wired connection to the same Eero node as the Shield.

• Like 2

rbjtech

I'm predicting with Ethernet it will work perfectly for you - suggesting it's Wifi latency related with perhaps a configurating issue on your mesh. 

Modern wifi does not have issues streaming this sort of data throughput - even 2.4Ghz 802.11n (wifi '4') should manage the majority of 4K Streaming - it may struggle with very high bitrate 4K remux's though.

I'm not familiar with the Euro pro 6 - but I understand they are 802.11ax (Wifi 6) - so they really should not have any issues unless you have a very weak or very noisy channel ?

Edited by rbjtech

AlsoBrian

@rbjtech The Eeros are generally very fast and responsive with excellent coverage, but Eero doesn't like to give you a lot of control over their configuration.  I can't set up QoS or anything like that.  I cannot prioritize devices.  I cannot monitor bandwidth in real time. 

rbjtech

ok - Can you post a fresh log of playback (embyserver.log) - PM if you like .

AlsoBrian

@Luke @rbjtech I'll create and post a log tonight.  It's going to be a few days before I can move the computer--my wife needs it for a project and requested that I not do anything to it until she's done.  

rbjtech
36 minutes ago, AlsoBrian said:

@Luke @rbjtech I'll create and post a log tonight.  It's going to be a few days before I can move the computer--my wife needs it for a project and requested that I not do anything to it until she's done.  

Been there - FULLY understand .. lol ;)

AlsoBrian

I think I may have found it.  I have three Eero Pro nodes.  My server computer is connected to one.  Another sits next to the shield.  The third is kind of far from either device.   I unplugged the Eero node close to the Shield, forcing it to connect wirelessly to the same node that has the wired connection to the server computer.  After that playback worked well.  Maybe something about Emby through the app doesn't play nice with something about the backhaul for the Eeros when doing direct play.

Logs attached are all events where I'm using the sideloaded Emby beta app (except where I use the phone app to cancel playback when the Shield app is non-responsive).  They show the following:

1) Stream music to confirm gapless playback again.  (in case it's helpful, the Album, Album Artist, and Composer tabs show up as blank in the beta app but work fine in the Play store app)

2) Stream Twin Peaks (1080p, no HDR).  This works for a little over 2 minutes and then freezes/pauses.  After this the Shield's Emby app is non-responsive and won't load things like my Movies or TV show pages properly

3) Fail to stream Battlestar Galactica (froze on circle; played back only sound AFTER closing Emby app on shield)

4) Rebooted Shield

5) Restarted Server

6) Attempted to Play Dune (failed a few seconds in); tried to get it to start playing

7) Close Emby app, disconnect local Eero Pro, reconnect Shield to wireless through same node as server computer, reopen Emby app, and reconnect to Emby server.

8 ) Played Dune with Dolby Vision and direct play without issue 

embyserver-63783496949.txt hardware_detection-63783496982.txt embyserver (1).txt

rbjtech

Hmm - Without being able to diagnose these Mesh devices, it's very difficult to say but latency is introduced in a Mesh networks and available bandwidth/channels are split (used to communicate with each other) but it should not impact a data stream unless it is very latency sensitive.

Have you tried changing the buffer size in the Shield - maybe try Small and/or large.  How about changing the channel / band the Shield uses to connect to the local AP ?  Is there any sort of Band Steering on the Eero config ?

I would also look in the Shield settings and look in the Wifi settings there, as I know there are a few settings that may have an impact on things - the shield for example could be trying to dynamically change it's access point midway through playing for example - 'smart' wifi being not so smart.

But in summary, yes as it works on just a single AP,  'something' is tripping up your Emby setup to not work well with this Mesh setup .. question is, what ?  🙄 

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 weeks later...
AlsoBrian

Following up on this.  It was an Eero issue--not an Emby issue, and it's now resolved.  I am still not sure why it didn't affect Emby DLNA or Plex but did affect the Emby client, but I actually can't test it now because it's been fixed by a firmware update. 

Since my last post, I spent about two weeks forcing the playback client wireless connection to the same node wired to the Emby server.  This always worked without playback interruption.  This was true across multiple devices.  I did see some issues with colors going nuts in specific segments of specific mkv files, but I figured I just needed to re-rip them (but see below). 

I continued to test using separate nodes and it consistently lead to the playback issues.  Same color issues, and when Dolby Digital failed, I got the wrong colors in HLS.  For clients that did not support Dolby Digital, I got proper HDR direct play playback in terms of colors, but it still froze. I still had the color issues in the specific segments of the same mkv files.

A couple weeks ago, Eero pushed down a firmware update, and installing that completely resolved all the issues.  Even the mkv files that used to have color errors now playback without problems.  Two weeks of playing with it later and still no problems.  Doesn't matter what node I'm on.  It just works great now. 

So I think that's that.  Thank you again for all your help.  I suspect that the old Eero firmware was doing something to the packets en route in a way that was harmless for other apps, or else it was throttling the connection improperly, or dropping bits instead of packets.  But I never got around to sniffing packets, and now it works great so there's nothing to sniff.

The latest beta release solves all the other issues above (except the new issue that it seems to break showing music by artist, album artist, composer, etc. -- only the home page, albums, and songs work).

Edited by AlsoBrian
  • Like 2

rbjtech
23 minutes ago, AlsoBrian said:

A couple weeks ago, Emby pushed down a firmware update, and installing that completely resolved all the issues.  Even the mkv files that used to have color errors now playback without problems.  Two weeks of playing with it later and still no problems.  Doesn't matter what node I'm on.  It just works great now. S

I think you mean Eero pushed a firmware update .. ;)

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1