embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

Mookdog

Hey @quickmic

I did a fresh install with version 7.9.4 and it wouldnt let me login to my local server with my username and password. I tried it with 7.9.3 and I could. So I just updated to 7.9.4 after being logged in with 7.9.3

Mook

• Like 1

dapharsyde
On 10/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, quickmic said:

New version available 7.9.4:

Delta changelog:

improve content detection for dynamic nodes
fix folder view for synced content
improve querycache for dynamic nodes

Thanks for making these updates - with 7.9.4, I now see the watched/unwatched status on my dynamic node videos, while browsing by folder.

One little nitpick, however -- I noticed that after watching a video, the watched/unwatched status is not updated in the view.  If I delete a file from the folder, this refreshes the view and updates all of the watched/unwatched statuses.  Is there any way to have this refresh occur after watching a video as well?

quickmic
9 hours ago, Mookdog said:

Hey @quickmic

I did a fresh install with version 7.9.4 and it wouldnt let me login to my local server with my username and password. I tried it with 7.9.3 and I could. So I just updated to 7.9.4 after being logged in with 7.9.3

Mook

Please send me a kogi.log with the login issue for review. I cleaned the login code, maybe I broke something.

EDIT:

I tested:

manual server selection

autodetect server selection

emby login

All with with:

password and no password

hidden user, not hidden user

with and without additional user assigned to session

...still no issue found 🙄

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
8 hours ago, dapharsyde said:

Thanks for making these updates - with 7.9.4, I now see the watched/unwatched status on my dynamic node videos, while browsing by folder.

One little nitpick, however -- I noticed that after watching a video, the watched/unwatched status is not updated in the view.  If I delete a file from the folder, this refreshes the view and updates all of the watched/unwatched statuses.  Is there any way to have this refresh occur after watching a video as well?

Will be fixed in next version.

HansWurst

Hi, 

I habe a question reffering to home videos. 

Is it possible to show own collections in Kodi? 

I created collections (years) for my home videos, but emby for kodi doesn't display them. 

In the emby app they are showed correctly. 

Thanks. 

quickmic
12 minutes ago, HansWurst said:

Hi, 

I habe a question reffering to home videos. 

Is it possible to show own collections in Kodi? 

I created collections (years) for my home videos, but emby for kodi doesn't display them. 

In the emby app they are showed correctly. 

Thanks. 

Kodi doesn't support that, but I can add a dynamic node for that.

HansWurst

That would be really great! 

Another question: pictures are treated as videos, is that right? At last I went the way over kodi itself because this seems to be the only way to get a folder - View. 

quickmic
1 hour ago, HansWurst said:

That would be really great! 

Another question: pictures are treated as videos, is that right? At last I went the way over kodi itself because this seems to be the only way to get a folder - View. 

Not sure what you exactly mean. Pictures are treated as pictures via dynamic nodes. The stock Kodi picture node should not be used. It's more or less just a filebrowser.

Edited by quickmic

Any chance I can bug for an official tmdb  helper player for emby next gen, using dynamic nodes?  

tmdb helper is an offical addon for kodi that makes skinning effortless.

Embycon has one but emby next gen wipes the floor with it

Edited by anontv

quickmic
16 minutes ago, anontv said:

Any chance I can bug for an official tmdb  helper player for emby next gen, using dynamic nodes?  

tmdb helper is an offical addon for kodi that makes skinning effortless.

Embycon has one but emby next gen wipes the floor with it

You need to help me out here. I'm not sure what you mean with adding "tmdb helper" to next-gen plugin. Sounds like you are requesting a "skin feature" for the plugin?

Also no idea what you mean with "tmdb helper player".

(tmdb) helpers are usually scarper tools and is skins responsibility/native Kodi content library scrapers. So please explain exactly what's your request.

btw,

I don't use any of those helpers in my setup, maybe I misunderstood you.

Edited by quickmic

It's a file that tells the addon tmdb helper how to search for content from addons. They come bundled in a zip and user installs them from the addon. Each addon will end up having its own player file. When user selects item to play, tmdb helper looks for players and then askes the user to select an addon. The default player can also be set inside the settings.

Tmdb is great for widgets and menus from tmdb, imdb, trakt.

Ie trending,  popular 

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/wiki/Player-Function

With a pr he would most likely love to add yours,

https://github.com/a4k-openproject/json.openplayers/issues/39

Edited by anontv

quickmic
59 minutes ago, anontv said:

It's a file that tells the addon tmdb helper how to search for content from addons. They come bundled in a zip and user installs them from the addon. Each addon will end up having its own player file. When user selects item to play, tmdb helper looks for players and then askes the user to select an addon. The default player can also be set inside the settings.

Tmdb is great for widgets and menus from tmdb, imdb, trakt.

Ie trending,  popular 

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/wiki/Player-Function

With a pr he would most likely love to add yours,

https://github.com/a4k-openproject/json.openplayers/issues/39

ok, not sure if I get all of it but I can tell you straight. I'll not add this in 7.x versions unless somebody else will do the job. Maybe just maybe in 8.x

This is nothing to be done in a few hours. Just reviewing documentation, testing (existing) implementations getting the concept will take half a day/full day. After that, the real work actually starts.

Unless there is a real benefit, I'll not start working on that. Also it looks like this is just for dynamic content. Next gen is mainly designed to use synced content and avoid dynamic content wherever possible.

Also not sure why the tmdb player is not using/searching Kodi database for playback. Maybe I still don't get it, but if this plugins wants to search/play content, it should use Kodi functions as default and only query other plugins if no content found in Kodi's db.

Why bother next-gen with playback queries, if the content is synced into Kodi. Makes only sense for dynamic content. As next-gen can sync almost everything to Kodi's database there is no need for 3rd party plugins to communicate directly with next-gen. An exception is the virtual tv plugin (for Emby server). It uses m3u playlists (with plugin links) for playback commands, but this a special case.

However, I stop here. If you need further information or discuss this matter, please open a new thread.

Edited by quickmic

Mookdog

I love next-gen but the aggravating part is it uses alot of storage. So far once I scan my library the cache balloons to like 1.5gb and gets bigger as more stuff is added. I dont wanna use dynamic mode bc u dont get as feature rich as scanning the library and using it that way. Anyway to alleviate that problem @quickmic ?

Mook

quickmic
2 hours ago, Mookdog said:

I love next-gen but the aggravating part is it uses alot of storage. So far once I scan my library the cache balloons to like 1.5gb and gets bigger as more stuff is added. I dont wanna use dynamic mode bc u dont get as feature rich as scanning the library and using it that way. Anyway to alleviate that problem @quickmic ?

Mook

Are you talking about memory or storage. Ram of "HDD".

I assume memory and more content=more memory is a natural thing. If you report a high memory consumption while (initial) scanning and it's back to normal after Kodi restart, you can do something about that.

Anyway I think you are not reporting such an issue, please elaborate.

Btw, some skins also "caches" smart playlists. This could easily use 25-50% extra Ram,

EDIT:

Dynamic nodes also uses caches, are you using them extensively?

Edited by quickmic

35 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Are you talking about memory or storage. Ram of "HDD".

I assume memory and more content=more memory is a natural thing. If you report a high memory consumption while (initial) scanning and it's back to normal after Kodi restart, you can do something about that.

Anyway I think you are not reporting such an issue, please elaborate.

Btw, some skins also "caches" smart playlists. This could easily use 25-50% extra Ram,

EDIT:

Dynamic nodes also uses caches, are you using them extensively?

I believe he means storage of database, Metadata, imagines 

quickmic
5 minutes ago, anontv said:

I believe he means storage of database, Metadata, imagines 

If so, he could vacuum the database. This helps a bit, but don't expect to much after fresh scan. Also avoid using "vacuum database on Kodi shutdown" unless you have a really fast device. Use the manual option -> "vacuum databases".

look, not like always, but the next episode doesn't jump automatically, different than usual but after a skin reload it works now. So a bit better than the last behaviour. Had the Emuary Helper Debug turned on as requested. In both cases I ended the sequence by pressing the "x" on the keyboard. Previously, as I said, it always updated immediately after exiting. Thank you very much as always!

kodi - Kopie.logkodi.log

36 minutes ago, Seger said:

look, not like always, but the next episode doesn't jump automatically, different than usual but after a skin reload it works now. So a bit better than the last behaviour. Had the Emuary Helper Debug turned on as requested. In both cases I ended the sequence by pressing the "x" on the keyboard. Previously, as I said, it always updated immediately after exiting. Thank you very much as always!

kodi - Kopie.logkodi.log

You should turn off http2 with android boxes

quickmic
9 hours ago, Seger said:

kodi - Kopie.logkodi.log

Very well, not the log shows exactly when embuary helper refreshes the widgets.

e.g.

2022-11-03 21:17:26.505 T:12928    INFO <general>: [ script.embuary.helper ] Force widgets to refresh (VideoLibrary.OnUpdate)

Let's see if I can find a problem.

Some background info: As mentioned, the next-gen plugin is NOT responsible for widget refresh. The helpers are, and does it based on events. Again, whose events are NOT triggered from next-gen plugin, Kodi sends them. The ONLY issue what could be in next-gen plugin code is:

Next-gen must clear the next_episodes widget cache, before embuary helper reloads them. I'm looking for exactly those timing issues.

btw, also the "script.skinshortcuts" is related in that matter. Please also enable logging for script.skinshortcuts if there is an option available.

Edited by quickmic

HansWurst
On 11/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, quickmic said:

Not sure what you exactly mean. Pictures are treated as pictures via dynamic nodes. The stock Kodi picture node should not be used. It's more or less just a filebrowser.

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes it is just a file browser. 

In the emby data tag my images are treated as videos. Maybe I am doing something wrong. 

And I don't understand what emby-next-gen takes as a photo album. Is there a way to define this? 

I tried to use folders in emby-next-gen, but it doesn't work. It loads for hours and nothing happens. 

HansWurst

Oh, another question. Is there a way to use emby sort title for sorting home videos. 

Sorting by title without collections leads to an absolute chaos... 

quickmic
1 hour ago, HansWurst said:

Oh, another question. Is there a way to use emby sort title for sorting home videos. 

Sorting by title without collections leads to an absolute chaos... 

I'm not sure how you imported the homevideos on your Emby server. I've also homevideos on mine including videos. It's absolutely straight forward and perfectly sorted.

- Main Folder
    - myalbum2
        photo1.jpg
        photo2.jpg
        photo3.jpg
        video1.mp4
        video2.mp4
    - myalbum2
        photo1.jpg
        photo2.jpg
        photo3.jpg
        video1.mp4
        video2.mp4

btw, I stop here explaining, unless you give EXACT information of your Emby server homevideo folder structure, what kind of Emby library type you are using for them, how you access the homevideos on Kodi, how you access your pictures on Kodi, how the metadata looks like on Emby server and so on.

The plugin receives the (content category) information from Emby server. Emby server reports to the plugin what is a photoalbum, what is a picture, what is a video.

I'll also put this in FAQ, if you report issues it's not done with XYZ is not working, details, details, details, trust me. Standard functionalities like such are tested very well. Not for each and every case, but basic design flaws should not appear.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
2 hours ago, HansWurst said:

I tried to use folders in emby-next-gen, but it doesn't work. It loads for hours and nothing happens.

At least I can review that if you send me a kodi.log.

Vor 7 Stunden sagte quickmic:

Sehr gut, nicht das Protokoll zeigt genau an, wann der embuary Helfer die Widgets aktualisiert.

z.B.

2022-11-03 21:17:26.505 T:12928 INFO <allgemein>: [ script.embuary.helper ] Widgets zur Aktualisierung erzwingen (VideoLibrary.OnUpdate)

Mal sehen, ob ich ein Problem finden kann.

Einige Hintergrundinformationen: Wie bereits erwähnt, ist das Next-Gen-Plugin NICHT für die Widget-Aktualisierung verantwortlich. Die Helfer sind es und tun es auf der Grundlage von Ereignissen. Auch hier, deren Ereignisse NICHT vom Next-Gen-Plugin ausgelöst werden, sendet Kodi sie. Das EINZIGE Problem, das im Plugin-Code der nächsten Generation sein könnte, ist:

Next-gen muss den next_episodes-Widget-Cache löschen, bevor der embuary helper sie neu lädt. Ich suche genau nach diesen Timing-Problemen.

Übrigens, auch die "script.skinshortcuts" sind in dieser Angelegenheit verwandt. Bitte aktivieren Sie auch die Protokollierung für script.skinshortcuts, wenn eine Option verfügbar ist.

Okay, I'll be happy to do that and get back to you with a new log. Thank you!