Google drive/ Cloud sync. Is this information current?

Tjacko

Tjacko

Hello, I just starting figuring out setting up my server and I would really like to back up my movies to my google drive. Mostly because at the moment I am using a very old computer to fiddle around with before I get a proper NAS or something. So I would like to back up my entire movie library just incase this old brick decides to bite the dust. 

I saw the plug in for google drive I set it up, and I believe I did it correctly as I now see a Emby sync folder in my drive. But what next? All the other articles I have seen about syncing, choosing what to sync and scheduling syncing are all from a few years ago and I see no cloud or sync button on my Emby settings anywhere. Am I missing something? Is this no longer a feature? will I just have to manually upload my files to google? And is that was the google drive plugin does? or am I miss  reading it.

thanks so much!

VladTepz
  1. Go to the show/episode you want to sync.
  2. Select "More" (The 3 Dots ... )
  3. Choose "Download to..."

From there, you can choose your Google Drive & Upload Settings.

Note: Last time I checked, playback from Emby is still broken, but everything else seems to work.

Manually upload your best bet using rclone. 

For what you want, this is a better choice.👍 The plugin is meant for transcoded copies to make streaming to different devices easier. Things get screwy when moving or deleting media.

Edited by VladTepz
  • Like 1

Tjacko

Thanks so much for your help you guys! Yeah I went ahead and did the rclone way. As for now I am more just looking for an extra backup method for my files just incase the computer craps out. 😁 Though I do now see how to use the google drive plugin. Though I am just going to remove it. Maybe someday it will be more useful.