Media background play

mitch2471

mitch2471

I’m just slowly making my way over from the Emby WMC client to Emby Theater. One of the nice little touches I liked about the WMC & the Emby client was that if you were watching live tv or a video file & you wanted to browse your library you could do this & what you were previously watching would continue playing in the background until you had selected something else to watch.

Obviously not the end of the world that this is not an option (that I’m aware of) but it was very sleek & something I will miss. Any possibility of this being incorporated in Emby Theater at some point in the future?

Hi.  I'm afraid that paradigm has kind of gone by the wayside.  Most media apps just don't do that anymore.  In fact, most media device remotes don't have stop buttons because backing out of the video stops it.

Related:

14 hours ago, Luke said:

It may have some value for live tv, so it's certainly possible at some point.

We already have the ability to bring up the guide during playback in Live TV which covers most of that use-case.

mitch2471

Hey look its up to you guys but is does make for a more fluid experience. Very handy for when you are procrastinating over what to have on next. Yes live tv has the mini guide but its not quite the same as being able to browse the full guide or your movies whilst finishing watching or listening to something. 

Partially it becomes an interface control problem.  That is, how do you stop playback of something in the background with a remote control that only has navigational controls...?

mitch2471

Ah I see. I have a harmony remote & have mapped out lots of the keyboard short cuts but yes, I understand that not all people have that facility or the inclination to go into that much setup.

That said once you have picked something new to watch & click on play would that not automatically stop what was playing in the background in place of the new selected media?

Just now, mitch2471 said:

That said once you have picked something new to watch & click on play would that not automatically stop what was playing in the background in place of the new selected media?

Yes but you shouldn't have to start something else just to stop something.  Plus, then how do you stop that one...?

In the end, I think most user research has discovered that people generally just do not want to have background playback while browsing around.  This is why most all interfaces have done away with this type of thing in favor of more simplicity.  Even TVs have dropped the concept of "picture in picture" pretty much universally.

mitch2471

You could just pause your media instead. I’ll have to take your word for it with regard to user research. I like background playing & most of our friends have been impressed when they see that in action as they don’t have anything that can do that.

I don’t think it has been dropped from things to improve user experience or simplicity. It was an option in some systems & tv’s. It’s not like people were being forced to use it. You could go which ever route you wanted with it. Simple without, more complex with, although I didn't see it as complicated when implemented in WMC with Emby. 

With TV’s I would think manufacturers probably dropped it as it was probably an added expense to their platform that they probably didn’t see much financial return in.

Horses for courses. For me & people I know it was a great feature. For others maybe not but this is the feature request section so I thought I’d throw it in.

If it can’t be done for what ever reason or you feel there is not enough demand for it that is fair enough. I don’t expect you to make major changes solely of the back of one person’s preferences but I thought it was worth throwing it out there to see if it was something that could be considered in the future.

meganitro
On 13/03/2022 at 13:44, mitch2471 said:

Você pode simplesmente pausar sua mídia. Vou ter que acreditar em sua palavra em relação à pesquisa de usuários. Eu gosto de jogar em segundo plano e a maioria dos nossos amigos ficam impressionados quando vêem isso em ação, pois não têm nada que possa fazer isso.

Eu não acho que foi abandonado para melhorar a experiência do usuário ou a simplicidade. Foi uma opção em alguns sistemas e tv's. Não é como se as pessoas estivessem sendo forçadas a usá-lo. Você poderia ir para qualquer rota que quisesse com ele. Simples sem, mais complexo com, embora não tenha visto tão complicado quando implementado no WMC com Emby. 

Com as TVs, eu acho que os fabricantes provavelmente a abandonaram, pois provavelmente era uma despesa adicional à sua plataforma na qual eles provavelmente não viam muito retorno financeiro.

Cavalos para cursos. Para mim e para as pessoas que conheço, foi um ótimo recurso. Para outros, talvez não, mas esta é a seção de solicitação de recursos, então pensei em incluí-la.

Se não puder ser feito por qualquer motivo ou você sentir que não há demanda suficiente para isso, isso é justo o suficiente. Não espero que você faça grandes mudanças apenas por trás das preferências de uma pessoa, mas achei que valia a pena lançar isso para ver se era algo que poderia ser considerado no futuro.

In my opinion, it should have the option but with the server adm to be able to activate or deactivate according to its public, or even it choose the users who will have access to this option.

mitch2471
3 minutes ago, meganitro said:

In my opinion, it should have the option but with the server adm to be able to activate or deactivate according to its public, or even it choose the users who will have access to this option.

I agree entirely. Media Browser & its evolution into Emby was always one step ahead of the competition. I'm pretty sure netflix & plex have taken a few queues design waise from Emby over the years. Background play not being ported into Emby Theater seems like a step backwards to me. That said if people don't speak up & ask for it, it will never happen. Unfortunately there's only a couple of people on the thread supporting it so it could be a long wait.